Security stopping access to my router

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi got a tp link wireless router. im basically trying to stop my kid using the pc downstairs to connect say after 10PM, also would like to stop him using his smart phone as well at that time so he can go to sleep lol, anyway, i followed the instructions as in the 192.168.1.1 page of the router but once i set up evrything and enable "parental control". evrything that is connected to the wireless router gets disconnected, so i have to turn off "parental control" and evrything works fine..any ideas what im doing wrong or has anyone go such a set up on their tp link router model no TL-WR1043ND...cheers

just set up mac filtering and use the pc and smart phones mac to set up rule for access times

from step 2 onwards i entered the mac address of this pc that im on now, as "mac address of parental pc", which im asuming is correct cos its the one where the router and modem is connected to, im trying to see if i can stop my laptop connecting to the router as a test, after which ill enter the downstairs pc and the kids smart phone, saves me running up and down stairs to see if its worked lol

Okay M8 and as suggested above MAC filtering is an alternative too :)
yes I can do that but, can't see any option on how I can stop access to the router say from 9:40pm to say 0600 in the morning?

Thanks, had a look but way too much info for me to do that lol, isn't there any simple straight forward method that I can use, I cud turn off the router at night but that means no net or tv for anyone

Thanks, had a look but way too much info for me to do that lol, isn't there any simple straight forward method that I can use, I cud turn off the router at night but that means no net or tv for anyone

yes if you can stick ddwrt or tomato firmware then use a cron job to down all interfaces at a specific time and back up at say 6am

There is a simple way, but you won't like it! One of my nephews had the same problem, and he blocked the access somehow.
His kids just played games on the phones instead. He took the phones off them overnight, and gave them e readers instead.
They soon got fed up of the slow wifi access (he managed to turn it off on one of the readers, they squabbled over the other)
but got used to actually learning things, or going to sleep. He also told me the school reports got better.
Got a lot of flak in the meantime though!:)

i had the same issue with our eldest, she worked out my passwords and re enabled the access, then i changed the password and she worked out that if she reset the router it defaulted to orginal firmware and passwords helpfully written on the router - i was livid at this point as i have quite a big setup and takes me an age to get the network up and running again (i hate networks administration).
I then decided to change my router to a nighthawk and all was ok for a while until she worked out that she could bypass the nighthawk and re enable the router settings on the superdud (again default settings helpfully written on the router by virgin).
Ive now locked the modem in a cupboard - the nighthawk is out but she cannot reset that (and she has tried), she now has hacked a neighbours wifi to access (her tab and computer both will sign in).
So now i gained a new laptop and tab.....

I suppose what im saying is kids are so savvy now they will find a work around, mine did.
She has lost both machines now until she has learned its not acceptable, in the mean time im trying to find my neighbour that has password as thier wifi password!!.

Me and the wife found it hysterical the means she went to, i mean come on i dont remember ever having that much front...... i suppose it the same as sneeking out in the middle of the night to meet mates which i used to do very often.

Shes at this level now makes me wonder how good she will be at it when shes a adult.

Back