Still having problems communicating with 500c

chrome307

Inactive User
Reaction score
I know this must be tiresome reading so many threads where members have problems with updating their receivers, but I still cannot managed to do it :(

The receiver currently has the DW v2.1 image on their but is stuck at the boot up screen, and will not progress any further allowing me into the menus.

So I am unable to get to the network settings to change the IP address.

I have tried to telnet using my null modem cable using Windows XP with DreamUp and am unsuccessful, it just keeps on telling me to turn the receiver on. At which point have disconnected/connected the power supply with no luck.

I have attached two screenshots, to show the results from DreamUp and also to show that my COM ports are working in DOS.

I have tried using DreamUp v1.3.x.x ( 3 different builds ) and have tried telnet into 127.0.0.1, and get the answer port 23 cannot be opened, connection refused.

What am I doing wrong?

This is the 2nd box that this has given me the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your patience!!

If you have a mobile phone and have software on your pc that grabs com1. I have wcescomm.exe running in task manager and have to shut that down for com1 to become available.

I know this must be tiresome reading so many threads where members have problems with updating their receivers, but I still cannot managed to do it :(

The receiver currently has the DW v2.1 image on their but is stuck at the boot up screen, and will not progress any further allowing me into the menus.

So I am unable to get to the network settings to change the IP address.

I have tried to telnet using my null modem cable using Windows XP with DreamUp and am unsuccessful, it just keeps on telling me to turn the receiver on. At which point have disconnected/connected the power supply with no luck.

I have attached two screenshots, to show the results from DreamUp and also to show that my COM ports are working in DOS.

I have tried using DreamUp v1.3.x.x ( 3 different builds ) and have tried telnet into 127.0.0.1, and get the answer port 23 cannot be opened, connection refused.

What am I doing wrong?

This is the 2nd box that this has given me the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your patience!!

You dont use the null modem to telnet mate.

Use the null modem with Dream up with the network unticked.

When using dreamup

1. attach 9 pin null modem cable from pc to box.

2. load dreamup

3. make sure network is unticked then select COM 1

4. press connect. It should now say preparing connection.

5. now turn on the box. It should now say if the box is alive and talking to us.

6. Now select flash and No to flash erase.

you only need to enter IP when using a ethernet cable for connecting, either direct or via router. With progs such as Flashxp or Dreambox control center or telnet

@ Lagigolo

I don't have mobile phone software running.

@ Rodbouy

Thank you for the clear instructions.

However it still doesn't appear to work.

Steps:

1 - 4 are OK

5 - I just end up with same situation as I posted 'Connect.png'

When I power up the Dreambox I see ( DW v2.1 ):

Black background picture ( chemistry set ) brightens up, then I get the blue globe followed by the text 'Digital Worldz DM 500 Neutrino 2.1v ... www.digitalworldz.co.uk'

It never gets to the point where it says ' The Box Is Alive .... '

This is particularly worrying as the box was working 24 hours ago, and I only wanted to update to the latest image.

hi m8 the null cable ur using is it the same at both ends or are u using a usb serial adapter if its usb it might be drivers needed or something

hi m8 the null cable ur using is it the same at both ends or are u using a usb serial adapter if its usb it might be drivers needed or something

If he can select the correct COM port then drivers are not needed mate.

and also make sure the com ports match,ie if com 1 in dreamup then make sure your null cable is com 1 in pc device manager

Open it up and check to see if the Com port cable is loose. GOing by the picture, Dreamup is not talking to the box or detecting it in any way.

Also Try another PC just to eliminate the com port.

@ colindavies1970

100% sure it is a null modem cable as I use it to flash my satellite receiver as well.

@ cloudnineuk54 + cryptyk

The right port is selected

@ Rodbouy

I have tried it with another PC with the same result - no joy ..... should I open up the Dreambox and see if there is a loose connection somewhere?

Is it possible to JTag the Dreambox and would this help in anyway ? Also do we have a tutorial onsite as well?

mainboard-dm500c.jpg

see if the com port cable is loose, unplug it then plug it back in

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, here's a pic of the insides of my 500c ... as you can see it does look slightly different. I have reconnected the serial port connector as suggested but it doesn't change anything for me regarding communication.

Can you suggest anything else for me to try?

thanks

Last edited:
@ lagigolo

I have unplugged the serial port cable which would plug back in above the red connector.

Have you tried running hyperterminal?

Set this as com 1 then turn on your box. If it boots you could load a new image that way.

No, I haven't tried Hyperterminal.

Is there a guide on how to use it here?

I have just 'googled' it but don't know how to run the commands.

thanks

OK, thanks for letting me know, I'll try it and see if there is any communication. It's really weird as the box does boot up and displays the moving intro graphics for the DW image.

Back