sticks on welcome screen

me110r

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi all

ive restated my comp (windows xp pro)
now it wont go past the welcome screen!!
has any1 got any ideas how to get past this there is some important folders on my desktop i really crnt afford to loose

all help much appreciated

thnx all

Try safe mode. Copy important files to pendrive. Rollback to a known good date on system restore (assuming system restore is turned on). If there are no restore points, have it run check disk on the boot drive on next boot.

Alternatively a boot disc like Hiren's should allow you to grab the files from the hard drive. You can then format and reinstall or try a repair install.

Try safe mode. Copy important files to pendrive. Rollback to a known good date on system restore (assuming system restore is turned on). If there are no restore points, have it run check disk on the boot drive on next boot.

Alternatively a boot disc like Hiren's should allow you to grab the files from the hard drive. You can then format and reinstall or try a repair install.

thnx for the quick reply m8 ive tried rebootin in safe mode an sticks on the windows is starting up screen, ive also had a msg pop up saying:

this system is shutting down. please save all work in progress and log off. any unsaved changes will be lost, this shutdown was caused by /,

then reboots after 60 seconds

you can also execute a system restore from a command prompt by pressing F8 on boot and selecting safemode command prompt :How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the Command prompt in Windows XP
something about that there.

What did you do to get to this point? were you runing a partioning tool?

no mate i was downloading using bitlord and also had malwarebytes open, getting the same msg over an over now :

the system process
C:\\windows\system32\lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code -1073741819 the system will now shut down and restart

ive tried booting in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt, an still sticking on the same screen

no mate i was downloading using bitlord and also had malwarebytes open, getting the same msg over an over now :

the system process
C:\\windows\system32\lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code -1073741819 the system will now shut down and restart

ive tried booting in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt, an still sticking on the same screen

If your computer keeps booting after your get the lsass.exe error, your security registry hive is corrupt.

rename "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\security" to security.bak

then copy "C:\windows\repair\security" to the location above.

i have resolved the actual files to there correct location on my own xp sp3 system

i got this from a little surf and corrected the locations, using your recovery disc you should be
able to rename and copy the files, access your recovery console through you XP disc!
Rename as mentioned here instead of delete this way you can alwasy reverse the proceedure
if it doesn't cure the problem..

if you boot to Dos using hirens boot CD then you can do this in DOS in the following way;

C: <enter>
CD windows <enter>
CD system32 <enter>
CD config <enter>
ren security security.bak <enter>

CD\ <enter>
CD windows <enter>
CD repair <enter>
copy security c:\windows\system32\config <enter>
CD\

My Dos is a little rusty but that should get the job done, when done reboot hopefully it will start up

Last edited:
obviously you could just copy and paste those commands into notepad and save it as "fixit.bat". copy it into the root on c: boot to dos goto c: then type fixit.bat <enter>
it should run the batch of commands immediately

thnx for the replys, were wud i download hirens boot CD from and also i think ive only got servive pack 1 installed on my pc, i havent got a clue on how to get into the dos, as i crnt get onto my desktop screen at all either booting normal or in safe mode,

im on me laptop atm so wil i be able to download hirens then burn it to cd then boot it on me desktop?

thnx for the replys, were wud i download hirens boot CD from and also i think ive only got servive pack 1 installed on my pc, i havent got a clue on how to get into the dos, as i crnt get onto my desktop screen at all either booting normal or in safe mode,

im on me laptop atm so wil i be able to download hirens then burn it to cd then boot it on me desktop?

do you have a usb hard drive?? is it possible you could whip out the pc's hard drive and connect it to your laptop via usb, if you can you can modify it using windows drag and drop on your laptop :) BUT you must connect it after the laptop is already on of course

Last edited:
do you have a usb hard drive?? is it possible you could whip out the pc's hard drive and connect it to your laptop via usb, if you can you can modify it using windows drag and drop on your laptop :)

ive removed my hd from my desktop pc and thers no port on the hd for a usb cable only its a samsung sata hd model HD501LJ 500gb,

and i havent got access to a external usb hd atm..

you would need to have a sata to usb adapter (often found in usb hard drives)

so i guess you are back to downloading hirens boot cd or maybe a windows live cd

any idea were to get one from im a memeber of tl but all passwords ect are all on me desktop :(,

i found xp live cd on pirat.ebay just downloading to check it is not full of viruses first. I will check the iso then burn it and mount it to one of my laptops to test it. If it works it would be much easier to fix your problem with a live cd. It would also be easier to protect the data you want to protect.

Last edited:
Just get the latest Hirens n boot straight into miniXP, you can also create a bootable usb stick. Top tool! Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Free tool to convert any to iso image....

the download is a daa image, convert it to iso using this free program

here:AnyToISO Converter - Convert various CD/DVD-ROM images to ISO format | CRYSTALIDEA Software

i have added the torrent file for you to the post... this is live xp cd

burn it to disk and select boot from disk in you boot menu..

revise the thread, and proceed as if you have your windows running - drive c: will still be the root drive for you HD's windows installation.

come back if you have problems, the daa image is 150MB when decompressed to ISO it is 350MB :) download took about 10 minutes DHT enabled on Utorrent. I also forgot about mini xp in hirens lmfao (it is fookin pants though lol)

Last edited:
so is this as easy as downloading the program burning it to cd then booting my pc from cd? using hirens?

Yes m8 choose option to boot miniXP then backup what u want to usb drive.

There are a host of other tools to try to sort ya c: drive out on hirens which are more comlex but I thought you wanted to make sure you got ya data saved first. This is the purpose of miniXP not a perm solution

Back