Start up problem win 10

icemen

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hey Peepz
I running win 10 64 bit pro. My old Samsung 1TB HDD has become faulty as I've had it over 10 years, get the message on boot up to change it immediately as it could cause issues, then you can press F1 for set up, then you can press escape & Windows used to boot up as normal. I ordered a new Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHD last weekend. Only got it yesterday as I'm not paying for delivery & don't have prime, don't get me started with Amaron! Anyway over the week the HDD became more faulty and would freeze after boot up or would not boot up at all even if I unplugged it. Strange because my OS is on the Samsung 250GB SSD I also got installed, the HDD was only a storage HDD. However I had moved the location of my account & my guest account to the HDD, e.g. desktop, downloads, pictures, videos, music etc. I wanted to initially clone the HDD to the new one if it never messed but that never happened. I managed to get the old HDD to work long enough for me to move everything back to the C drive. Removed the faulty drive & installed new one. Now I have only moved downloads, pictures, videos & music to the new HD & left desktop on the C drive as when my old drive was playing up it would remove all my desktop programs/folders etc.
Everything is fine now, the only issue I get when I boot up I get the windows logo come with the spinning dots at the bottom, then log on picture should pop up but I just get a black screen. So then I have power down by keeping the power button pressed & then power on again, this time I get the windows logo with the little dots at the bottom then get a pop up blue screen with incorrect password then I can click try again and the log on screen appears & I can get in as normal. Does this all the time, first boot up get the black screen, second boot up incorrect password then can get in. I tried advanced setting start up repair, couldn't fix it? Any other suggestions? I'm thinking when I had everything saved on the HDD I've deleted something in error or not copied it back over to the SSD? Sorry for the long story, just wanted to give as much info as possible, Any help is appreciated.

Thankz
Ice

Have you tried a repair install using boot media?

You can get the ISO direct from MS:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

An alternative might be to do a fresh install of the OS; but first use a tool like EaseUS' Easy Transfer Tool to move all the files and settings you want to keep.

Can I download the tool & do a repair on my existing OS rather than do a fresh install?
When I click to download I get two options
Upgrade this PC
or create install media for another pc

Ok created a media file onto usb, so install windows & keep my files & apps, get to about 75% and guess what, error message ;-(, some code ending in x4000D. Had a read and it's usually caused by apps running in backround like anti virus software. I will remove my Norton tonight & try again.
Was thinking is there a way of saving my apps onto like a usb or somewhere? as was thinking if the above doesn't work, in advanced options there is a option to reset PC to keep personal files but removes all apps. might try this instead if easier & quicker if I can can just add my apps back in after instead of downloading em all again

thankz again guys for the help

Removed anti virus and tried again but stil crashed at 75%. So then i tried advanced recovery options and reset my pc which removes apps but this also crashed and message pop up your pc couldnt be reset. So then i when back to usb media file. Removed personal files and apps so just a clean load. At last it worked, restored all the kids accounts and apps. Seems all good now. Will i have to load psu gpu drivers again or is this not required? Been on it most of the day since i got up around 11am ;-)

It creates a old windows folder in c drive shall i delete this as just taking up space and is curupt anyway?

Shall i leave it then and just do a disk clean up? Thankz

My o/h's Win 7 HP sometimes gets stuck at the log-on screen, I found a work-around was to simply create another user, and that one logs on first time every time! Just a thought.....

Back