Staffordshire bull terriers.

I don't agree with that. For a start my labrador wont retrieve for love nor money! And my dad has trained 3 gun dogs.

I used to go shooting and have taken part in training of gun dogs, my mates stepdad had 2 labs and we used to fire .410 single barrel shotguns above the dogs then get them to retreive dummies out of water and on land. One of them was useless and consequently sold.....lol, no doubt someone cooshy pet.

All his dogs lived outside in kennels, 2 x labs & 1 Jack Russel as they were working dogs. They were never treated like pets!

I'm by no means a dog lover, I'd never own one in a month of Sundays but don't agree with the way some owners treat them! For example some Husky breeds need loads of exercise! They can run 25 to 30 miles per day so for an owner of a Husky to take it for a 20min walk a day is cruelty.

I've got strong views on dogs jumping around my kids but at the end of the day my kids should never be put in that situation, dogs should always be on a leash in public areas, thats the law!

As far as Staffy's go, we have 2 in our area and they seem pretty dosile! I only hear one of them bark and it only does that to let the owner know he wants back in the house.

Always had Bull Breeds, they have to be the most loyal dogs you could own.
My last one was an American pitbull, he died a few years ago and we thought we would try a variation to the Bull breed and bought an American Bulldog.
He also is great with people/kids very obedient and a cracking house dog, you do hear the horror storys though and I would hate to think the damage mine could do if in the wrong hands.

My opinion is you cant beat the Bull breeds and the ban on the Pitbull is crazy, its how the dog is brought up, ban certain owners and not the breed.

Got a boarder collie myself, soft as they come but whenever the daughters friends or any kids come round he is put in his pen, best to be safe than sorry

Here is the up to date Top 10 Dangerous dogs, based on the average number of reported attacks in the UK per annum.

Staffordshire Terrier – 279
Cattle Dog – 208
Rottweiler – 173
German Shepherd – 166
Pit Bull – 133
Kelpie – 100
Bullmastiff – 90
Labrador – 83
Bull Terrier – 74
Terrier – 66

Dangerous dogs in the UK - Dangerous dogs in England - Rottweilers - Bull Terriers - List of Banned Dogs - Family Pets - Dangerous Dogs Act

We had a border collie, he was a great dog, got him as a puppy when my son was 3 and my daughter was 18 months. The kids could do anything to him, pull his hair, run their bikes over his paws (that was by accident) and when we got a kitten they used to put her on his back and he'd run around with the cat sitting on his back. :)

The neighbours a few doors down had a border collie as well though and she bit my son one day while he was out playing football on the road with some other lads, just came out of nowhere and bit him, he had never been near the dog or anything.

And another girl i know, her sister married a sheep farmer in NZ, they had a little giirl and one of his working collies attacked the chld one day, tore her face to shreds, totally unprovoked.

So i guess it depends on the temperament of the individual dog and whether or not they are used to children from when they are puppies.

Here is the up to date Top 10 Dangerous dogs, based on the average number of reported attacks in the UK per annum.

Cattle Dog – 208
Rottweiler – 173
German Shepherd – 166
Pit Bull – 133
Kelpie – 100
Bullmastiff – 90
Labrador – 83
Bull Terrier – 74
Terrier – 66

I will say to start I am not a great dog lover tbh a few friends have dogs and they are ok but i only ever see them in there own environment and i am a guest that is known.

clearly many hundreds of thousands of people have pet dogs of all sorts and they never appear in the papers or cause a problem.

the above stats shown, show there are probably a lot more attacks than the owners would have us believe, the web page linked suggests that uk wide more than 100 people per week need a hospital visit.
i have not read fully the source material but only a quick glance. I must admit i was surprised at the number of cases.

The sad thing is in all this, with any dogs when it does go wrong the owners always say he/she is as daft as a brush, never hurt anybody before, id leave with my kids etc.
Many of you guys with dogs and on the above list have said as much in your posts and i can tell you believe its true.

As others have said in some cases its the owners who are the root cause of the problem not the dogs but there will undoubtedly be some were its down to the dog.

Its like in many other walks of life its the minority, whether dog or owner, that cause hassle for the rest.

You guys with the dogs i am genuinely interested in knowing how would you police, control or reduce the number of attacks in the uk the indicative needs to come from dog owners so its workable and fair ?

just 1 more thing before i post if i was one of the 5000+ per year that needed to visit hospital for a dog bite i suspect id have a different view :)

Got a boarder collie myself, soft as they come but whenever the daughters friends or any kids come round he is put in his pen, best to be safe than sorry

Cattle Dog – 208
Rottweiler – 173
German Shepherd – 166
Pit Bull – 133
Kelpie – 100
Bullmastiff – 90
Labrador – 83
Bull Terrier – 74
Terrier – 66

Dangerous dogs in the UK - Dangerous dogs in England - Rottweilers - Bull Terriers - List of Banned Dogs - Family Pets - Dangerous Dogs Act

Well acording to that list i own 2 of the most dangerous dogs in the UK.

YEAH they are natural born killers my dogs m8 come round here and see for yourself. :)

Lol, sorry sargie m8, I removed the original post that you quoted as I didn't really want to get involved in this debate.

I think my views are well enough known without having to go over it all again.

Lol, sorry sargie m8, I removed the original post that you quoted as I didn't really want to get involved in this debate.

I think my views are well enough known without having to go over it all again.

Yeah i know m8. The thing is i posted this because owning a staffy for me has totaly blown all of my opinions of the breed out of the water.

Honestly nara if you were to come and spend a day here and see my two dogs you would agree. My nieghbour can not believe how placid my labrador is ive got a pic somewere of my daughter who is now 4 laid on him in her pink baby grow, she still lays on him now when she is watching tv. He would never ever hurt any of my family and i can say that confidently because ive owned him 5 years now and i know him well enough i would think.

My staff is only 8 months old he is still a little over excited due to his age but he is in to be nuetered this week which will calm him down a bit and he will also mature over time. But he follows my son around sits with him while he is on his ds.He follows me to the loo lol he just loves to be with people.

Im rambling now but i class my dogs as part of the family not as possesions, some folks find that wierd but i don't ;)

macey my staff was left out 24/7 b4 we got her .now she is part of the family not a pet .as said b4 its not the dog thats the problem its the owner's fault .if a dog understands were it is on the ladder in the home you will never have a problem.staffs are the most loyal breed of dog i have ever come across ..suppose you could say there just like kids realy. show them right from wrong give them the attention they need and they will show you all the love back !!!!!

Cmoan the mutts....
Gimmie ma smelly old Collie/*****ian any day of the week,,he even grins..
Go on Zak..

Last edited:
My staff is only 8 months old he is still a little over excited due to his age but he is in to be nuetered this week which will calm him down a bit and he will also mature over time.

Ouch ... How come you decided not to let him have a litter 1st, that calms them down and then give him the chop?

My staffys are now 10yrs and 8 months old and they are the most loving dogs I have ever owned, the newest 1 we got takes to my elder dog as his father and knows his place in the family line which is bottom of the line, he listens to my 2yr old son who bosses him about and if he steps out of line my other dog corrects him. He is now walking off lead in all public areas which I know will cause debate on here but he never leaves my side, he will bark at other dogs but in a playful manner.

No other breed of dog comes close for me in terms of affection and they are also very intellegant, Im just training him to sniff for drugs atm as I am training to be a dog handler and he is picking it up fast.

Well acording to that list i own 2 of the most dangerous dogs in the UK.

No you own two placid and loyal dogs but you also have two potential killer's and no matter what you or anybody else says, any dog can turn.

Cattle Dog – 208
Rottweiler – 173
German Shepherd – 166
Pit Bull – 133
Kelpie – 100
Bullmastiff – 90
Labrador – 83
Bull Terrier – 74
Terrier – 66

i think yuo could also link that to the fact that it is in the top 5 popular dogs in the uk, i.e. theres more of them.

end of the day alot of factors go into a dog biting you, if you piss a dog off, it will bite, if its scared it will bite.

end of the day i own a staff, and she is brilliant, however im` mature enough to know she is a dog, one step away from a wild animal.

My staff was 13 before we had to put him down due to loosing controll of his rear legs :( Most friendliest dog ive ever owned. We used to stud him all the time in the season, when he saw them raw eggs for his breakfast you should of seen his tail wag because he knew what he was doing in the afternoon :)

No you own two placid and loyal dogs but you also have two potential killer's and no matter what you or anybody else says, any dog can turn.

so can everyone's missus turn mate and bite worse than dogs ...the subject is on how well his dogs are and how it is maturing and how loyal it is give the phrase of dangerous dogs up for a day or 2 to be honest humans are more dangerous and deadly than dogs the way they act

My staff was 13 before we had to put him down due to loosing controll of his rear legs :( Most friendliest dog ive ever owned. We used to stud him all the time in the season, when he saw them raw eggs for his breakfast you should of seen his tail wag because he knew what he was doing in the afternoon :)

my staff is 3 and a half mate and you couldn't meet a nicer dog no aggression to any human being but some bad owners ruing the breed.. its been going about for years how vicious staffy are its getting beyond a joke any dog is vicious if brought up the wrong way

Back