SSD Hard Drives what your views on these

I personally don't think they have a future. IMO they will go the way of AGP.
AGP disappeared because it was replaced (by PCIe).
Because the technology really hasn't went anywhere.
Not true. Even the second gen SSDs could saturate the SATA 300 interface. Whilst the SATA 600 drives have stagnated around the 550MBs mark, mechanical hard drives don't even saturate SATA 300.
Prices are still crazy high.
But they're also nowhere near the prices they used to be. The £1/Gb was the stalling point for many, and the majority have been below that for at least 6 months.
The Hard drive honestly is here to stay
No one is saying that the mechanical hard drives don't have life left in them.
and I don't think many will switch to SSD or it will gain mass popularity.
The only people that would knowingly switch are those that know about computers. Even if not in their main rig, many of these have SSDs in laptops to reduce boot speed and boost battery life, or are waiting for them to hit their entry price point.

Those that buy of the shelf machines are, so to speak, going to get what they pay for. A £350 laptop from HP or Lenovo will have a mechanical HDD, but pretty much all Ultrabooks have an SSD of some capacity.
For the price of a 128GB SSD you can get 2 terabytes on a HDD.
To be honest, your missing the point of SSDs. Though large capacities (>256GB) are available, desktop SSDs are not aimed at mass storage - they're intended to speed up boot and reduce program launch times. The larger capacities are niche products that are aimed at enterprise and mostly only appeal to hard core gamers...

OK, SSDs are not for everyone, but - just like sports cars - they do have a place in the market.

Any idea what step your referring to?

I re-enabled it one at a time and tried to access a file after each one I thought it would be the indexing but it still would not work I did the superfetch last and then it was all OK. But wether it was just that or a combination of the rest I don't know

To be honest, your missing the point of SSDs. Though large capacities (>256GB) are available, desktop SSDs are not aimed at mass storage - they're intended to speed up boot and reduce program launch times. The larger capacities are niche products that are aimed at enterprise and mostly only appeal to hard core gamers...

OK, SSDs are not for everyone, but - just like sports cars - they do have a place in the market.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I thought about getting a SSD ages ago but the price put me off, but my old laptop seemed to be taking longer and longer to boot up and when I clicked on a file it took an age to launch the program. Then I saw this notepad with a 128Gb SSD and no HDD at all and I thought no problem as I save all my file on a stick anyway, I had a few quid spare so I bought it. I will never ever buy another computer unless it has a SSD the difference is unbelievable from the time I hit the on button to the time I have a excel spreadsheet open is 25 Sec.

The DigitalWorldz Servers run on 6 x SSD in raid :)

Back