SSD Hard Drives what your views on these

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm asking this question because i treated myself to one a crucial v4 120GB its a lot fast when windows 7 is up and running, but the boot up and shut down is shit takes a good 5 min's to open and close, every is set correctly in BIOS, i can't work out why, they say it makes boot up faster well i wish they could show my where, at the moment it feels like a waste of £100.

summit wrong m8, boot up and shutting tiomes shoul;d be greatly increased,

im using one with win 8 , takes seconds to boot up now

summit wrong m8, boot up and shutting tiomes shoul;d be greatly increased,

im using one with win 8 , takes seconds to boot up now

Windows 8 is a lot faster to boot anyway but I agree 5 minutes is stupidly too long

as everyone else has said... something wrong somewhere.....

ive used ssd with win7 and I have noticed a big difference with boot u and shut down...

win 8 boots up before my monitor turns on which is seconds....

have a look on the crucial website see if they got any updates for your drive......

ill never go back to a hdd for the os now ...... so much better in my mind.

Something wrong there,

did you transfer the image or do a fresh install ?

Are your SATA ports set to IDE or ACHI ?

Something wrong there,

did you transfer the image or do a fresh install ?

Are your SATA ports set to IDE or ACHI ?

Did both m8 fresh install and BIOS is set to ACHI, i have even followed the guide which was posted above its a little better but still not what i was expecting. :(

Thats a bit odd, just downloaded latest firmware for the ssd drive, tried to install it and it says no device detected? and i got the correct file i double checked.

Strange.

Sorted it needed a USB Stick to flash the SSD Drive, just got to wait now because if i have read it correctly it blanks the SSD Drive and I can't be arsed to format at the moment.

Can someone double check before i do anything please.

Attachments

• Crucial_v4_Windows_Utility_Tool_Instructions_rev_25_letter.pdf
    461.3 KB · Views: 2
Sorted it needed a USB Stick to flash the SSD Drive, just got to wait now because if i have read it correctly it blanks the SSD Drive and I can't be arsed to format at the moment.

Can someone double check before i do anything please.
You read correctly; it's a destructive update - all data will be lost. It's not unique to the V4 or Crucial's SSDs.

One of the suggestions on the Cruical site is to make sure you are running the latest SATA drivers. If the laptop is using an Intel SATA controller, check if there is a rapid storage driver available.

You could try a BIOS update, but only if you are comfortable doing so.

You could try a BIOS update, but only if you are comfortable doing so.

checked that m8 BIOS is up to date will check rapid drivers now :)

Just installed Intel Rapid Storage Driver, for some reason they hadn't been installed on last format, will see how it goes now and let you know.

Just installed Intel Rapid Storage Driver, for some reason they hadn't been installed on last format, will see how it goes now and let you know.

Windows has its own ACHI driver (which is basically what RST is) which is why windows does not flag it as a missing device driver. However the intel one is better optimised for intel hardware.

just tried it boots faster and shuts down a lot faster now thanks for your help everyone. :)

Be very careful I have just done as described above and cannot now access any of my office files I keep on my USB 3 stick they are all there but wont open it says they are corrupt or on a server that is not responding? I have put the stick in another laptop and thank god they are OK, it must be something I have changed on this one so I am about to revert back to how it was.

Sorry this refers to the link in jamesyboyjim's post

Last edited:
Be very careful I have just done as described above and cannot now access any of my office files I keep on my USB 3 stick they are all there but wont open it says they are corrupt or on a server that is not responding? I have put the stick in another laptop and thank god they are OK, it must be something I have changed on this one so I am about to revert back to how it was.

Sorry this refers to the link in jamesyboyjim's post

Any idea what step your referring to?

I personally don't think they have a future. IMO they will go the way of AGP.

Any specific reason for thinking this? And what future for bulk storage? Cloud?

Because the technology really hasn't went anywhere. Prices are still crazy high. The Hard drive honestly is here to stay and I don't think many will switch to SSD or it will gain mass popularity. For the price of a 128GB SSD you can get 2 terabytes on a HDD.

Back