Spiderbox CCcam client

CrazyFool

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was considering the VU+ Solo and then saw the price of the spiderbox 7000hd.
would you guys recommend it over the VU+
i only want it for watching and recording tv and must have a good epg.

does it still have cccam issues?
and is the only difference the 2 extra card slots on the 9000

Thanks in advance,
Mubs

If you know what your doing with a linux box then get that.If your not then get a spider.Cccam still pretty pants.The "Gift" is ok,but you never know what channels gonnas be there from one day to the next.You could also be in the middle of something & it goes scrambled or starts freezing.I have a spider but prob would of bought something else if i knew more at the time.Hope this helps matey.

dOOds

Thanks Doods,
i dont give a ratts ass about the gift,
CCCcam clines have to work flawlessly though with at least a full days EPG and recording

What exactly is the issue with CCCcam?

Cheers.

Most cccam servers operate on a newer version.Spiderbox even though just had software update does not work with versions above 2.1.1.Well i say it doesnt work,it does but freezes all the time.They will tell you its all your fault,but believe me its not.If you can find the right server then im sure it will be ok but from my experience a linux box will give you flawless performance with cccam.if your not interested in the gift then dont get it.Poss openbox or something along those lines if you just using clines.Again hope this helps mate.

dOOds

Thanks buddy.
im running my own private server so i should be able to run it with 2.1.1 right? are there any drawbacks to that?

i want the spiderbox because its £110 cheaper than the next HD box (excluding the tm800hd) which is the vu+solo.

so it would be brilliant if i could get it to work.

Thanks Doods,
i dont give a ratts ass about the gift,
CCCcam clines have to work flawlessly though with at least a full days EPG and recording

What exactly is the issue with CCCcam?

Cheers.
spiderbox does not give you a full epg you might get now and next on channel you are watching and that is it just like a normal sat box only the linux boxes can you add a full epg no plugins or downloads for spider no web if fo stream to pc no ftp updates from usb .
saying that it is a simple box to use 900hd is dif to 700hd in ways of rf output two scarts comp leads diff handset etc 900 worth the extra imo
cccam is ok means you run your own server you can try with diff versions of cccam or even newcs and cccam .
main probs each box can have diff probs there is a disconection problem which i occasionally suffer from but for others it is constant high ecm's is the one i suffer from but on the tm the ecm's are lower .
recording from standby causes a freeze and hang if using cccam or gift channel fta ok from standby .
someone stated spider needs a more powerfull chip for cccam and to record from standby they were soon shot down in flames by the admin and posts got deleted so
could be the answer
if you do not need gift want a good epg and know linux go for a linux box a dm 800 clone comes round about the same price as spider do not have one so can not comment on reliability
have a spider it is ok for beginners but not what you a used to if you have previously had a linux box im just glad i kept my 9100 as a back up
hope this helps

i got a vuo + duo and got the spiderbox and a clone 800.
my order of preference is as i typed them.
the vuo imo is by far the best box i have played with and is as close to the proper + box as you could probably get.
The pic quality on the 9000 is excellent ,i dont have major issues with the cccam but it isnt as smooth as linux boxes and the epg is poor.
The 800 has a decent epg and a decent pic although i have slight issue with one or two hd channels but my main bug bear is the crappy remote that only works about ten feet away,i got a dream 600 which has the same remote which is equally crap.
if i had choice the vuo solo would be top if money wasnt issue

same as everyone else said, i like the spiderbox for what it is, but definate cccam issues unless 2.1.1 : some people will tell you they have no problems ( and i do believe some of them, chronoman for one) and some people will tell you there is constant problems.

others will tell you you know fook all, and thats its all your fault and servers shiit, and its all your servers fault lol (theres a few on here).

but the point is there are enough people having problems when running a spiderbox on cccam 2.1.2, 2.1.3 and 2.1.4 to say that there is some issue with the spiderbox (7000 and 9000)

if you run your own server then run 2.1.1 and you wont have any abnormal stability problems.

I setup an ubuntu server for someone i know recently which runs 3 versions of cccam at the same time , i edited it for him to run 2.1.1, 2.1.3 and 2.1.4.

2.1.1 will not read your cards directly, so you will have to use another cam to read it them serve it, most people use newcs but there are others (probably with better advantages)

however for my mates server its simply set so that 2.1.4 reads the card / s direct using smargo / s , there only client is the 2.1.1 version of cccam , its connected with an unadulterated C / F Line, so really simple.

and then his spiderboxs are all clients of cccam 2.1.1 .

needless to say hes well happy, this all runs from the same machine , shutdown every night a 3:55 am , performs routine backup, and config update and then restarts @ aroun 3:59 am.

everything autostarts as well on powerup.

you can have any combo of cccam for instance 2.1.1, 2.1.4 and 2.1.4 have one 2.1.4 to read card and then have the other 2.1.1 and 2.1.4 be clients to it, and act as servers for your other clients.

if you go on the cccam forum, and check out you know whos posts hes done all the scripts, i just took them then edited in the different version of cccam. Very slick and my mates been running his for a number of weeks with minimal problems..................i`m not big into this, just like tinkering.

as for the VU+ duo (or solo) what can i say, if you want an EPG to rival the original sky+ with excellant recording / piccy etc etc etc then buy it, dont hesitate, best box you will ever have and use the vix team 1.2 image..................fantastico!

Thanks buddy, i never considered pairing 2.14 with 2.11 for spidey clients.
It was the EPG that did it for me though,
went with the VU+ Solo last week.

Cheers,
CrazyFool.

ayy , the install script from `youknowwho` on cccam forum is bang on, just needs editing, i could possibly send you my version with configs, just needs editing for boxkeys and smargo adapter address`s.

lmk, i`ll put it together, best of all worlds then.

incidently , the guy `youknowwho` died recently, pretty sad , topman and will be missed.

not sure mate, his actual username is YouKnowhoo and he died recently.

heres a link the his guide.

http://www.cccamforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40170

ive attached my cleaned version of his install script including bin files and wrote this first bit of a guide to installing it, guides a bit fast and furious, i`m no linux god, but know my way around it, if you follow the guide to a T you should have a nice linux tri-cam server up and running in an hour or two.

also note : - the smargos are clocked at 6 mhz in the configs , its up to you , and this setting may not be right for all cards, by my mates white card runs fine on it, people run them @ 6.85 mhz as well. Another tip is to use a cheap usb hub, ecm times dropped from 0.1350 AVG to 0.0800 AVG doing this, which is equivelant to dropping from 135 ms to 80 ms..........

feel free to sticky it ;) and credits to youknowhoo RIP as its his work really ive just made it install the different cccams and knocked up the configs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

download and install ubuntu 9.04 desktop (jaunty)

Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)

on the machine you have chosen to use as a linux server make sure it has an internet connection.

install it (if you have graphics issues on startup, reinstall using safemode option from very first
screen on boot from disk (modes > safe graphics mode)

set automatic partitioner, unless you can do it manually

example of a ten gig hdd
ext3 partition, mount point "/" formatted 8 gig
swap partition of 512meg or 1gig
ext3 partition, mount pount "/home" formatted 1 gig

fill out user information making a note of the login name
careful the username is case sensitive , tell it to login automatically.

let everything install.

once installed and on desktop, let ubuntu run the system updates from web for the system
let it download and install all of them

enable remote desktop and give it a password (system > preferences > remote desktop)

settings are as follows :-

sharing = tick both
security = tick bottom two (create a password)
notification = always display icon

you can now use TIGHTVNC to remotely login to the machine, just pop
the ip address in and enter password and jobs done. This means you can run this headless, ie.
with a power lead and internet / network connection only..........

set your IP address of machine to static

copy the folder "install pack 3xCCcam" to the desktop of your ubuntu system

IMPORTANT, DONOT TRY TO EDIT THE FILES UNDER WINDOWS, IT CORRUPTS THEM

find the file "UbuntuInstall.sh" and edit it, look for the line
OWNER=YOURUSERNAME

and change to to you system username, it it was john it would be

OWNER=john

find the file

LogCleanUp.sh (inside the cccam_install_package folder)

and edit it, look for the line
OWNER=YOURUSERNAME

and change to to you system username, it it was john it would be

OWNER=john

CAREFUL USERNAMES ARE CASE SENSITIVE!!!

copy these files and folders to the /tmp/ directory of your system

cccam_install_package FOLDER
UbuntuInstall.sh FILE

so it should be

/tmp/cccam_install_package/
/tmp/UbuntuInstall.sh

OK now open a terminal (application > accessories > terminal)
type in these commands (case sensitive and replace YOURUSERNAME with your own)

sudo -s ENTER

NOW ENTER YOUR USERNAMES PASSWORD

YOUR USERNAME HAS NOW BEEN MADE ROOT

we now need to own the file "UbuntuInstall.sh"

type in this command from your terminal

chown YOURUSERNAME /tmp/UbuntuInstall.sh ENTER

now we need to change the attributes of the file so enter this command

chmod 755 /tmp/UbuntuInstall.sh ENTER

we are now ready to install so enter this command.

/tmp/UbuntuInstall.sh ENTER

it will now install the files using the install script, you should see no errors, if so you havent entered the owner name correctly. The machine will need an internet connection as well as it will download and install various things from the net asking for confirmation periodically, just press Y for yes and enter if need be, it will automatically restart the PC when its finished. you need only insert your smargo and card with correct box key and you should be ok after a final restart. When uncommenting out the smargo reader in the cccam config , i would always use USB0 first as this is what it will more than likely be assigned to, however you can use the command "dmesg" from terminal to see what usb value has been assigned to your smargo (look out for FTDI in the text and little further down it will state which usb address is assigned) , sorry cant be more clear on this at the mo, too tired.....................

#####################NOTES###########################

donot change the telnet or the webinfo listen port numbers as these are tied to the cccam node ids, you can change the login info and the server listen port to whatever you want.

in the cccam configs, all of the smargo readers are commented out, you can uncomment them and box key them as you wish.

emm updates have been disabled also however this does not seem to matter for some reason it still allows updates to come through , its only when emms are disabled in F lines that they stop, so to update your server let 1 or 2 clients have emms enabled in F lines to update your card.

defaults webinfo ports for different cccams.

cccam1 = 15001 cccam 2.1.1
cccam1 = 16001 cccam 2.1.3
cccam1 = 17001 cccam 2.1.4

remember to keep the cccam configs as they are i.e.

CCcam_1
CCcam_2
CCcam_3

from 3:55 am to 3:59 am its shutdowns, backs up old configs and replaces any configs with updated ones every day.

config locations are :-

/var/etc/ running cccam configs
/var/conf/ place your configs in here that you wish to have updated @ 3:55am

###############OLD README############################
this is a auto installer on a ubuntu system
for 3 CCcam's + Newcs 1.67.

"install"
What to do? take the necs_install_pack and the script
place them in /tmp
fill in the user name from you in this system OWNER=
needed in more then one script
do that in linux or clean the script after that in
Dos2Unix Online
then chmod 755 the Install script and run it from terminal
have fun
when installed check the settings in the newcs.xml if they
are correct for you.
the xml you can find it the /var/etc folder

have fun.

regards Youknowhoo

Last edited:
Thanks for that buddy,
very interesting indeed.
didnt queit understand what you meant by a USB hub,
how does that reduce ECM's?!?!?
isnt a usb hub a thing where you plug it into your usb port and it gives you multiple more USB ports?

Cheers.

this is correct and normally i would be asking the exact same thing as well. The box i built for my mate runs off of a HP thin client (fanless, 1ghz, 1 gig ram, 30 gig ssd) its got 4 usb ports, all soldered on mainboard 2 @ front 2@ back.

plug the smargos into the ports no matter which fron or back and ecms are as stated, if i plug them into the four port cheapo usb hub i have from ebay the ecms drop (on AVG) of about 40 to 50 ish ms........strange.

tried it on another machine also exactly the same, not sure if its specific to this hub though dont have another to try.

my only thoughts are it provide slightly more power / current or cleaner power to the smargo than what comes through the usb on its own.

really not sure but thats what happens. incidently this happens with no changes to anything else.

see what i really dont understand is (this is the reason i point out all the usb ports on the machine / s are directly soldered to the mainboard) with them ports being direct on the mainboard and not connected via an internal cable thus counteracting any latency / interferece which may affect ecm times (maybe latency is the wrong word) they are worse than when a cheap hub is connected to them????????

strange but it works.......

Last edited:
wow.
i cant see it being a problem with the hub being of superior quality over the built in USB because power is still travelling through the mainboard soldered usb point in the first place.

a concentrated or cleaner power source sounds a bit more like it to me, but what do i know,
im just crazy.

would love to see some tenable explanations for this.

wow.
i cant see it being a problem with the hub being of superior quality over the built in USB because power is still travelling through the mainboard soldered usb point in the first place.

a concentrated or cleaner power source sounds a bit more like it to me, but what do i know,
im just crazy.

would love to see some tenable explanations for this.

thats exactly right if anything it would be the complete opposite, but honestly thats how it works, nothings changed only hub is put between smargo and usb port.........

weird ;)

and the hub is non powered, i.e. is not got an external powersource.

hi found this post by googling spiderbox cccam server config, the scripts posted are excellent and work well on my vps, i had also noticed the disconnection problem in all versions of cccam above 2.1.1

after around 8 mins the spider disconnects then reconnects have 3 on my server all do the same, was banned from there forum for posting this a few times when i couldnt get an answer,it appears im not the only one..

the script posted by TheCheekyMonkey (big thanks :Clap:) seems to set up a check script to continually watch for any crashes with cccam1,2,3 but also 4 as well as it only installs 3 you need to edit that out.

from cccam.check
Mon Dec 20 03:45:05 UTC 2010
Couldn't find CCcam_4.x86 running, Restarting CCcam

dont do he add 4th it breaks....

thanks again for the scripts off to introductions now (oops)

Last edited:
No worrys at all.

further to my USB hub post, eventually i ran into a few problems with the cheapo usb hub rand card disconnects, nothin major but every now and again it would just disconnect the card / reader.

upgraded USB hub to an expensive Dlink one (£20 lol) and its been spot on, uptime of about 5 weeks crash / disconnect free!!!!!!!

well i must be really dumb as i cant get this working.
it reminds me of my spectrum days typing for days to try and get magazine game loaded using text and it never working.
got ubuntu installed and followed tutorial but dont see smargo interface or seem to connect to any cccam .
i have no card i am only trying to log into any of the cccam configs.
any ideas.
pm if you dont want open please :Fish:

bear with me bud , i am also having problems however i an not using my old copy of ubuntu i had to download a new version even though its the same copy, bear with me i`ll get to the bottom of it ;)

Back