Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Speed Camera Vans.

Lanstrom

Inactive User
1) A fixed speed camera (Gatso) is backed up by the white lines on the road to verify the speed of the driver (used as court evidence to prove the driver was speeding) so how do mobile speed camera vans get away with not using these ?

2) If the van is parked up on the side of the road with the flaps open (ahem!) at the back are they catching speeders driving away from them (car is going in opposite direction to the way the van is pointing) or trying to catch people on the opposite side of the road driving towards them (car is going in same direction as van) ?

3) Do these vans have any sort of camera pointing out the front of the van (so if someone approaching the van face on and was speeding but then hit the brakes when they saw the van they would not get caught) ?

I found this site interesting but it doesnt answer the questions ... www.pepipoo.com

1) A fixed speed camera (Gatso) is backed up by the white lines on the road to verify the speed of the driver (used as court evidence to prove the driver was speeding) so how do mobile speed camera vans get away with not using these ?

2) If the van is parked up on the side of the road with the flaps open (ahem!) at the back are they catching speeders driving away from them (car is going in opposite direction to the way the van is pointing) or trying to catch people on the opposite side of the road driving towards them (car is going in same direction as van) ?

3) Do these vans have any sort of camera pointing out the front of the van (so if someone approaching the van face on and was speeding but then hit the brakes when they saw the van they would not get caught) ?

I found this site interesting but it doesnt answer the questions ... www.pepipoo.com

The mobile cameras are fitted with a laser which tracks the vehicle and measures it's speed.

The camera records you doing the dastardly deed and the laser stamps your speed on the recording.

Thats how Cheshire Cunstabulary described it to me anyway :(

I was sat next to one of these vans the other day in traffic, the van was parked just off road and from where i was on my bike you could just make out a cop in the back window with a camera (his hi viz bits helped through the blacked out windows) but when i moved on a bit there was another sitting at the front with another camera stuck to the windscreen.
no flap on the van tho just tinted windows and a sign saying speed checks or something like that on a road which was deadlocked lol.

they had one of these in pont abrham services not long ago, so i had a look

they only target cars travelling towards the laser (towards the camera) this is so that they can get the driver on camera, as well as to counter a doppler type effect on the reflected beam thats actually used to detect your speed

motorbikes travelling towards the laser dont have a number plate to see, so theres a dome 'fish eye' lens camera on the said of the van that can see 180 degrees, and a camera on the front of the van, the motor bike is targeted, and speed read while its travelling towards the van, without leaving view of the side camera its followed down the side of van, and then the reg is captured by the front camera as it travels away from the front of the van

Use a lot of these in Scotland and have to record vehicles travelling toward the camera to get both Speed, Number Plate and Driver.
Think Front Camera for rear Plates to confirm identity of Motorcycles and confirm car details.
Some of these are now used for Tax and Insurance dodgers but they pull you over with these and impound your vehicle.

Cheers for the answers. I was hoping it would be catching people going in the opposite direction to the van :(

There's a 30 zone that goes into a rural 50 zone and this bastward was parked on the opposite side of the road right underneath the 50 mph sign catching people accelerating from 30 to 50. There's nothing but a field on either side before the 50 zone so there's NO REASON for them to be there other than a money making scam. Theres not even a footpath, this git had to bump up onto the grass verge.

If they had been catching people going from the 50 into the 30 then I could grudgingly agree with them being there (although there are fixed gatsos a further 300m further in so even that's debatable). No wonder people have no respect for them !

this really annoys me, the police park thier mobile cash machines on a footpath / cycle path near the local b&q in basildon, they are causing an obstruction and if i parked my car there im sure i would get nicked.
i did take pleasure once a few years back when cycling down the road by accidently on purpose hitting the camera that was in front of the van. the camera was totally smashed - there was nothing they could do about it as it shouldnt have been there. but now they seem to only really have the cameras in the back of the vans - shame.

Back