Some Backups no longer work after 4.2e easy softmod

qwertyasdfg

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Afternoon All,

I have successfully softmodded 2 wii's using ballys superb guide but after doing so I cannot play Super Smash Brawl on any of the consoles and one of the consoles is not able to launch games from the cd/disk channel even after the trucha signed update! the same console does not like cheap DVD's either :-(

1st wii:
Purchased when they first came out.
Originally modded with YAOSM pic chip.
When YAOSM stopped working due to a loose connection probably, the twilight hack was implemented on it.
When twilight hack was implemented, cheap DVD's stopped working - only quality DVD's like Verbatim -r's worked perfectly!
When the twilight hack was implemented, the firmware was 3.2e.
My neise got a wii fit plus for her birthday and it did not work with 3.2e.
Updated this wii with the new 4.2e easy modification as outlined in ballys guide.
All backup DVD's work including cheap DVD's, they can even launch from the disc channel after the trucha update.
Super Smash Brawl does not work :-( when trying to launch from disc channel I get a disc read error, when trying to launch from neo gamma I get a 1011 disc cannot be read message.
SSB has been burnt to a dual layer Verbatim DVD.
I applied a patch which I saw on the iosdiop application which related to this game but that did not fix the problem.
I read that cIOS38_rev17 may fix the problem but I could not decipher how to load this????

2nd wii:
Purchased recently.
Virgin wii with 3.2e firmware.
Updated this wii with the new 4.2e easy modification as outlined in ballys guide with no error's what so ever.
Cheap DVD back-up's don't work.
Cannot launch games from the disc channel even after the trucha signed update, have to use neo gamma everytime :-(
Super Smash Brawl lanches using neo gamma but goes to a green screen and have to reboot wii which launches into boot2.

Any advise on the issue's presented above would be much appreciated. Instructions on how to install cIOS38_rev17 would be great too, I put the file in the apps folder, put in the wii's SD slot and then am stumped as to how to install :s do I use bootmii, iosdiop or wad manager? I have tried all 3 but cannot see this file to execute anywhere?? Will intsalling this even help in making SSB work??

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Last edited:
disk read error 1101 on 2nd wii when trying to launch Mario Kart with neo gamma :-(
would the new beta neo gamma fix my issue's with the 2nd wii maybe???

thanks for your reply.
When I launch the HBC, I am prompted with either diosp or the wad manager, I can' find cios38 rev17 anywhere, it is named boot.dol and is has been copied into the apps folder :s

Ok, I have determined that the 2nd wii does not like cheap DVD's at all, datawrite and verbatim dvd+r have worked fine launched via the neo gamma, still cannot get these games to launch using the disc channel even after applying the trucha singer patch.

I am downloading SSB again just incase the copy I got had been altered in some way in the past before burning, I am guna try and load it using a USB device and see how I get on.

If that still doesn't work, will try the new neo gamma beta and somehow this rev17 if I can get I can somehow get it to load up :-(

SSB does not work on either wii :-(

with rev17 make sure its named boot.dol and run using homebrew channel

If that is the only game not working on the 1st wii more likely a bad copy or burn.

With the 2nd are the games pal your loading? on 4.2 the disc channel will not read different reign games (will if you have a chip)

For installing cios38 rev17 copy the wad file to the root of a SD card. Insert the SD card on your Wii. Run the installer and select "WAD Installation".

http://det1re.de/d/cios/cIOS38_rev17-Installer.zip

Thanks for the advise mate.

I guess all the games are working on the first wii cos the chip is still in it even though the chip stopped working probably due to a loose connection?

All the backups I have are PAL apart from SSB and 1 or two others, the SSB I am downloading now is PAL. No games are launching via the disc channel on the 2nd wii, the one's that work on the 2nd wii are the one's on quality DVD's and ONLY lanch using neo gamma!!

When I place the cios 38 rev 17 onto the root of the SD card, should I have anything else on the SD card too or just that file alone? When you say run the installer to install the cios 38 rev 17 do I just launch HBC and I just have a tab there for cios 38 or should I have all the files on the SD card from the easy 4.2e setup process and use the diosp, wad manager or bootmii?? As I have tried the latter and could not find cios 38 rev 17 anywhere.

Thanks again fo your help.

If that is the only game not working on the 1st wii more likely a bad copy or burn.

With the 2nd are the games pal your loading? on 4.2 the disc channel will not read different reign games (will if you have a chip)

For installing cios38 rev17 copy the wad file to the root of a SD card. Insert the SD card on your Wii. Run the installer and select "WAD Installation".

http://det1re.de/d/cios/cIOS38_rev17-Installer.zip

Afternoon All,

Tried loading the new pal version of SSB which i downloaded last night through my USB device but when trying to do so the wii just kept re-booting so I guess the USB device i'm trying to use is not compaitable with the wii, I tired using a play.com 8gb usb stick!

Am guna pop to the shops now to get me a DL DVD.

Have also DL'd the NSB and am burning it to DVD now, if they both don't work, will try installing the cios38 rev 17 again and maybe even the new neo gamma beta.

Will let you know how i get on.

I can't beleive that no one in my area sells Dual Layer DVD's oh well, will have try get over that hurdle tomorrow :-(

I burnt a PAL version on NSB to a quality DVD and tried to load it on both the wii's, worked perfectly on the first one but didn wanna read on the 2nd one, error 1101, so I finally managed to figure out how to load cios38 rev17 onto the wii's and tried to load the game again and got the same error :-(

Guna try installing the new neo gamma beta now and hopefully that does the trick!

Tried loading NSB with neo gamma RC1 and got dvd read error 1051 :-(
I give up for now, any advise while i'm in da pub watching footie would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for your time and help!

I can't beleive that no one in my area sells Dual Layer DVD's oh well, will have try get over that hurdle tomorrow :-(

I burnt a PAL version on NSB to a quality DVD and tried to load it on both the wii's, worked perfectly on the first one but didn wanna read on the 2nd one, error 1101, so I finally managed to figure out how to load cios38 rev17 onto the wii's and tried to load the game again and got the same error :-(

Guna try installing the new neo gamma beta now and hopefully that does the trick!

Back