some advice about setting up a wireless connection to internet

Can I ask you guys who have wireless networks if you have any problems with dropped connections?

I set up a wireless connection into a router connected to my NTL box last week and it kept dropping my connection every few minutes... particularly when I was downloading bit torrent files.

yes Cosmoss, 'fraid so.
even though the pc's are about 7feet apart and it says 'excellent' signal

same here m8, I thought it was just my set up.... I'm back to hard wired now and the router is going on ebay!

Cosmoss get your modem checked m8, I very rarely if ever get dropped connections on my wireless network but earlier this week I had terrible trouble dropping every 10 - 15 mins when d/loading and when playing COD or MOHaa I kept getting lagg when everyone else was fine, anyway called Telewest out on Wednessday, first thing out of engineers mouth was "TW don't support routers" told him quite abruptly that router was fine, anyway in the end modem was fecked so he installed a new modem and everything back to normal :)

Cheers m8 but its a set top box that I've been using for 2 years now without any problems. I've gone back to hard wired now and it's working fine.

ok m8 I think I remember you posting a while back with probs with the wi-fi what make / model is it ? just to know to steer clear at a later day :) pmsl joking aside I have a linksys 54g setup and not had a days trouble, lucky I guess, still glad your sorted now m8 ;)

How did I miss this thread?????

Wireless Networks...ferking ace!!

You do not need anything fance to share your internet connection wether it be BB or Dial up. No need for routers.
Wireless access point maybe for more than 1 connection but that is it

Just a USB Wireless Adaptor for the PC connected to the BB
A Wireless PMCIA card for the lappy or Adaptor for the other PC, or even if you are posh a inten centrino lappy....;)

Windows XP makes it easy also.
connect the adaptor to the PC connected to the BB, run network setup wizard on the pc for internec connection sharing set is as server on MSHOME (all automated) once completed create a network setup disk.

Plug in the other PC run the network disk set it up as a PC that connects to a PC via another, it does the rest.

I have it running on Dialup......

My setup is Enterasys PCMCIA card and a Netgear MA101 Adaptor

Thanks MH but the thing is I only have one PC.... I wanted to put it upstairs without having to run a cable up there from my NTL box so as far as I understand it does need a router plugged into my STB.

For anyone thinking of setting this up my router is an Origo cable router and in my opinion its $hite!!

@ Mairyhinge, wondered where you were lol :), as i was saying earlier the method you say is good and a bit cheaper than a wireless router, the only prob is that if the main computer (With the card in) is'nt on you cant connect to the net with the other PCs, with mine I leave the BB modem and router on 24/7 hidden under desk, then I can use each computer on the net independantly without worrying about the other, only time I need them all on is if i want to network(obviously)lol

Mickie D said:
whats the distance on bluetooth ?

would not a WI FI card be better (wireless NIC) i am about to go on this venture aswell soon but i think you can only get a few meters out of bluetooth (not sure though) with wi fi it must be more and you can get higher bandwidth i am sure ?

all depends on what your doing but could someone tell me the differences ?

Mickie

Hi Mickie

Bluetooth quote 300ft but in reality wouldnt bank on more than 20 depends on your walls etc....I use a 54g card in the laptop to a belkin reciever going into a 16way 10\100 hub with a hacked speedtouch home-converted to a pro

Can surf in the garden or the bath lol,give me a shout if you want any help m8

ssilvo

@ bronto this is very true, I am ok with my option as I never turn my main PC off, as if I do it dont come back on....lol

back for more help on this one just the start. as broadband modem is on the way.what is a 1394 connection and what is it for,, will this help me set up this broadband as wireless and i also have infared connection will this help me also as im lost..

no and no,

1394 is what they call firewire its a very fast form of data trasfer but point to point, ie digicam to pc

Infrared is for data txfer also but onlyt files ie lappy to lappy or to mobile phone

as mentioned before all you need is either 2 wireless adaptors one for each PC or 1 adaptor and 1 PCMCIA card for a laptop.

Then run network setup wizard on the server pc 1st the oone thats connected to the net.

create a disk when it prompts you and run theis disk in the other pc

hope this helps

MH

Back