Solo2 SE, wanting to swap firmware

damonsmith19

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have purchased a Solo2 SE lonrison clone and I wish to swap to some newer software. The box currently has the following software/ drivers:

System OE:OE-Alliance 2.3
Distro:openvix
Firmware version:Apollo.029
Driver date:20140829

I am looking to update to OpenATV 4.2 but I am unsure if my box is V4 flashed and I want to know if I can flash the V4 update without using the RS232 cable because my laptop cannot connect to it.

Thanks!
Damon

Hi guys, I have purchased a Solo2 SE lonrison clone and I wish to swap to some newer software. The box currently has the following software/ drivers:

System OE:OE-Alliance 2.3
Distro:openvix
Firmware version:Apollo.029
Driver date:20140829

I am looking to update to OpenATV 4.2 but I am unsure if my box is V4 flashed and I want to know if I can flash the V4 update without using the RS232 cable because my laptop cannot connect to it.

Thanks!
Damon

No your going to need a comport or adapter to comport of some kind.

Oh and the UPDADE TOOLS_20140905

when did you buy your solo2 se?

I've read on here that some newer solo2 SE's (that haven't been flashed with v4) can accept sunray images. For those that can't accept sunray images, you appear to just get blank screen (ie it doesn't brick your box). I, personally, would try a sunray image and take that chance if I had a solo2 SE that was only recently bought and HASN'T previously been flashed with v4, v3, v2 or v1 flash update.

However, it's impossible to say for sure so you take a chance.

If your SE can accept sunray images then you have a lot of choice with latest fully working images as sunray clones are being supported. If you want to try a sunray image first I would recommend flashing with BlackHole 2.1.5 first (you can always flash it with any other sunray safe image you want if BH 2.1.5 works fine).

However, once flashed with v4 flash update (or an earlier flash update) then you're limited because images won't support xbmc, animated screens or full 1080 skins. This is simply because drivers for lonrison clones are nearly a year old and lonrison don't appear to support their users by releasing newer clone safe drivers.

I've read on here that some newer solo2 SE's (that haven't been flashed with v4) can accept sunray images. For those that can't accept sunray images, you appear to just get blank screen (ie it doesn't brick your box). I, personally, would try a sunray image and take that chance if I had a solo2 SE that was only recently bought and HASN'T previously been flashed with v4, v3, v2 or v1 flash update.

However, it's impossible to say for sure so you take a chance.

If your SE can accept sunray images then you have a lot of choice with latest fully working images as sunray clones are being supported. If you want to try a sunray image first I would recommend flashing with BlackHole 2.1.5 first (you can always flash it with any other sunray safe image you want if BH 2.1.5 works fine).

However, once flashed with v4 flash update (or an earlier flash update) then you're limited because images won't support xbmc, animated screens or full 1080 skins. This is simply because drivers for lonrison clones are nearly a year old and lonrison don't appear to support their users by releasing newer clone safe drivers.

Thanks for the info bud. I went ahead and attempted to flash OpenATV 4.2 for lonrisun (I just hoped at that my box had been flashed with V4) and the flash was successful but the only issue was that I could not get my tuners to scan despite them being set up the same as my previous config.

As the flash was successful does that mean I definately do have the V4 update and therefor cannot try the Sunray images? If so do you have any ideas about the tuner issue? thanks!

Thanks for the info bud. I went ahead and attempted to flash OpenATV 4.2 for lonrisun (I just hoped at that my box had been flashed with V4) and the flash was successful but the only issue was that I could not get my tuners to scan despite them being set up the same as my previous config.

As the flash was successful does that mean I definately do have the V4 update and therefor cannot try the Sunray images? If so do you have any ideas about the tuner issue? thanks!

Look like your on v4

Seems to be a common problem with the SE and the v4 update in that the tuner wont play nice.

If your previous image worked ok can you remember what image it was ? If so maybe return to it or try other v4 images.

Look like your on v4

Seems to be a common problem with the SE and the v4 update in that the tuner wont play nice.

If your previous image worked ok can you remember what image it was ? If so maybe return to it or try other v4 images.

I was using openvix apollo29 and I have now gone back to it. I did also try openvix apollo163 but got the same tuner error message

I would stay with apollo29 then as Ferret says you may have the v4 and yes it's been known that v4 flashed boxes can result in tuner issues. It's not known why to be honest.

Out of curiosity, which openatv did you flash as some later images i've been told that the lonrison drivers have the clone bomb bypassed (similar to sunray ones).

If you wanted to take a chance you could try flashing a sunray image like BH 2.1.5 and if that works you should be able to flash any sunray image.

I would stay with apollo29 then as Ferret says you may have the v4 and yes it's been known that v4 flashed boxes can result in tuner issues. It's not known why to be honest.

Out of curiosity, which openatv did you flash as some later images i've been told that the lonrison drivers have the clone bomb bypassed (similar to sunray ones).

If you wanted to take a chance you could try flashing a sunray image like BH 2.1.5 and if that works you should be able to flash any sunray image.

I used this one:
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?resources/3344/

Do you have a link to BH 2.1.5 sunray, I've used my daily download allowance

Last edited by a moderator:
Please be aware that I can't guarantee you will not suffer from bricked box but what I read is that solo2 SE just displays a blank screen and you're able to flash back to known good image.

If you don't want to take that chance then I would recommend staying with apollo 29.

Tempted to give it a go! Would flashing the following be the same risk as flashing BH 2.1.5? (if not then can you point me to the bh2.1.5 thread, I can only find your 2.1.4 thread)
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/vu-...422769-download-openatv-5-0-a.html?highlight=

See here for BH 2.1.5.

Let us know how you get on flashing it and good luck.

@damonsmith19 ,

I saw your message that BH 2.1.5 didn't work.

You don't have many options i'm afraid.

If you can flash back to your apollo 29 and confirm that works (ie tuner problem has gone) because some people have said they couldn't go back to a previously good image after using a v4 image.

If apollo 29 does fully work and you're determined to try a newer image then there maybe something I could try providing your ok with using ftp and that apollo 29 still uses kernel 3.13.5.

@damonsmith19 ,

I saw your message that BH 2.1.5 didn't work.

You don't have many options i'm afraid.

If you can flash back to your apollo 29 and confirm that works (ie tuner problem has gone) because some people have said they couldn't go back to a previously good image after using a v4 image.

If apollo 29 does fully work and you're determined to try a newer image then there maybe something I could try providing your ok with using ftp and that apollo 29 still uses kernel 3.13.5.

Flashing back to apollo29 worked fine and a flash of your apollo 159 with the sky look worked ok too! (strange that apollo163 didn't)..

What are you wanting to try? I'm ok experienced with ftp etc

That is strange. I would like to look into this further.

Is it lonrison Apollo 159 or sunray version?

Could you flash that apollo 159 and try to do a scan of channels to see if it can pick up channels.

Thanks

That is strange. I would like to look into this further.

Is it lonrison Apollo 159 or sunray version?

Could you flash that apollo 159 and try to do a scan of channels to see if it can pick up channels.

Thanks

I was able to successfully scan and find channels on apollo159 and it found 700+ channels. Is there much difference between 159 and 163 that would mean one didn't work and the other did?

Oh and it was 159 lonrisun, your one with this zip name 'LonrisonSolo2v4_OpenVixApollo153Sky'

EDIT: sorry it appears it was apollo153! from here: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/dow...653/418776-lonrisun-clonesafe-images-use.html

(but I suppose it's still odd that 153 worked and 163 didn't!)

Last edited:
I was able to successfully scan and find channels on apollo159 and it found 700+ channels. Is there much difference between 159 and 163 that would mean one didn't work and the other did?
that's what I want to look into.

I'm at work so can't check but did 153 have within the solo2 folder, a file beginning with "Kernel" (or something similar)?

Back