Solar Power

So it basically depends on the power your tv uses. So if it's 60w then it will use 600w over 10 hours. I think the wattage is rated as per hour. Here is a quick google search below.

Most LED TV's has rated power between 60 watt to 150 watt. Generally speaking larger the screen size higher is the rated power. A 100 watt TV running for 12 hours everyday will consume 1200 watt hours = 1.2 kWh (units) of electricity in a day and 36 kWh of electricity in the entire month.

It's interesting as at home I have a system which I don't use but play about with. I have two 6v deep cycles batteries linked together to make 12v. Then I have a 2000w inverter that changes the 12v dc into 240v dc. Now the only issue is it is a modified sine wave inverter and not everything likes this. I have a baby 12v solar panel to try and charge it and I also have a 400w wind turbine still in the box. I've been looking the last few days at a 100w solar panel but have not bought it yet.

In the past when I have lived abroad I used car batteries and a solar panel in our window to keep the battery charged. I had a 300w inverter and when the power failed as we lived on a peninsula I just turned the system on and we had lights and internet back whilst others were using candles.

If i had my house roof full of panels, and left them charge for a day of average British weather, what could i expect to run off them?
ie, could i run standard household devices such as, a TV/ microwave, few lights, router, stb etc, for a whole day? :)

(Leave out electric cooker/ washing machine/ vacuum)

You would have to be far more specific and it would depend on lots of factors. How big is your roof, how many panels could you fit on your roof, what rating are the solar panels, such as how many watts. Are you charging batteries what rating are the batteries? I think you can put it back into the grid and sell it to them or offset your usage. Plus you will get a far longer days charge in summer than you will in winter. What happens if your solar panels are covered in snow will you clean the snow off? There are companies that can come out a give you a quote for this.

You would have to be far more specific and it would depend on lots of factors. How big is your roof, how many panels could you fit on your roof, what rating are the solar panels, such as how many watts. Are you charging batteries what rating are the batteries? I think you can put it back into the grid and sell it to them or offset your usage. Plus you will get a far longer days charge in summer than you will in winter. What happens if your solar panels are covered in snow will you clean the snow off? There are companies that can come out a give you a quote for this.
Lets say an average everything lol roof/ ratings/ overcast spring/ autumn day :)
I'm just wondering if it's really worth while? Obviously in Africa it would be, but in the UK i think we'd be better off investing in wind/ tidal. :)

Lets say an average everything lol roof/ ratings/ overcast spring/ autumn day :)
I'm just wondering if it's really worth while? Obviously in Africa it would be, but in the UK i think we'd be better off investing in wind/ tidal. :)

I remember reading it would take around 9 years ATM (increased energy prices) to get your outlay back for the average installation. Apparently a battery system should be included. Midsummer Wholesale

By 9 year's they'd probably need replacing lol
My daughter’s partner has installed some solar system’s and he said the batteries may not last and would need replacing and he also said it’s going to take you several years to get your money back for the initial payout for the system.

I also heard the same that it takes years to get your money back. The only way I can see it paying is if you do it all yourself and gradually take yourself off-grid. I think the batteries I have at home are failing and I will need to get them exchanged.

So is all this Solar Energy not cost effective and a waste of public money?

Like most everything else, the more demand to adopt these systems the cheaper they will get. The batteries are an important part of the system and their prices have lowered significantly (Lithium). The battery technology is also improving significantly making solar or/and wind systems more viable.
At the moment I see it as an interesting project but I think our grandchildren will be the ones to really reap the benefit.

I think once somebody figures out a better battery technology then you maybe on to a winner. But for now the batteries are the things on your system that will need changing and at £900 a pop per battery, not so cheap.

I also heard the same that it takes years to get your money back. The only way I can see it paying is if you do it all yourself and gradually take yourself off-grid. I think the batteries I have at home are failing and I will need to get them exchanged.
How long have your batteries be installed.

How long have your batteries be installed.
Mine is not a solar system mate just a couple of used leisure batteries that are obtained from work. They were used when I got them and I've had them at home a few years. They are taking a charge but it drops back down. Time to bring them back and get some more :)

Back