Softmod or chip?

DOS

Inactive User
Reaction score
Got round to looking at the xbox stuff again...iv read the softmod tutorials, and it seems pretty straightforward. However, i was wondering what can i do with a chipped system that cant be done with a softmod?

I want to be able to play backup games (from either dvd-r, laptop on network, or upgrade internal hdd and store them there), and stream music and video from laptop.

Also, is there anything else i sould know about it?

Thanks for your help,
DOS.

i would chip it m8,better all round,if you mess the softmod only way out is to chip it anyway to change bios. executer best chip on market..

Thanks, but how would it be better? What can i do with a chip i cant do with a softmod?

As I understand it a chipped box has a switch that toggles between modded and normal. Presumably that means when the switch is off it appears exactly as it did when new. I'm not sure that's the case with a soft-mod. A soft-mod may also make it more difficult to upgrade the hard disk but there are tutorials on how to do it

I soft-modded mine because I had 90% of what I needed already and I was more likely to screw up the chip installation than the softmod.

As I understand it a chipped box has a switch that toggles between modded and normal. Presumably that means when the switch is off it appears exactly as it did when new. I'm not sure that's the case with a soft-mod. A soft-mod may also make it more difficult to upgrade the hard disk but there are tutorials on how to do it

I soft-modded mine because I had 90% of what I needed already and I was more likely to screw up the chip installation than the softmod.

The xenium has a software switch, it boots to the chip then you select modded kernel or MS kernel. Nice and easy

aww ffs

only this morning i got one from GAME, ?69.99 with 3 games

foooook

can i undo a softmod andtake it back? lol
Maybe you could buy the one from Argos and take that back to Game :)

Both MODS will fulfil your needs regarding backups/streaming, but if you want to upgrade the internal HDD on a SoftMOD you need to use the HDCMI CD to do this, which might not be advisable if never carried out before and you have limited experience.

A softmod, cannot be turned off, whereas a hardware MOD can, enabling you to use the XBox Live service. However you can use the TSOP method, but depends on which version of the console you own to enable the Xbox Live service.

You cannot stream a XBox game from your laptop DVDRom, but you can stream ROMS that are used in applications like MAME.

A softmod is a great way to utilise your Xbox, if you feel that you need more than upgrade to a hardware mod.

Does anyone know if progs like Enigma NTSC/PAL switcher work on softmods ? If so, then you also have the option of enabling your console to be recognised as NTSC when needed for some games that only work on NTSC consoles eg The Warriors NTSC ( about 5.3GB in size + widescreen playback).

A softmod, cannot be turned off, whereas a hardware MOD can, enabling you to use the XBox Live service. However you can use the TSOP method, but depends on which version of the console you own to enable the Xbox Live service.
Depends on the softmod I guess. Mine is either on or off depending on whether I power on using the eject button or the power button. The softmod is set up so that Xbox live is disabled in Modded mode to stop you getting banned.

aww ffs

only this morning i got one from GAME, ?69.99 with 3 games

foooook

can i undo a softmod andtake it back? lol

aarrrggghhhhh,i bought one yesterday second hand with 7 games and two controllers for fifty quid(barsteward):Mad2: :Mad2:

@Nightowl - did you soft mod with Ndure's Installer ??

Yeah I used Krayzie's Ndure installer with the Splinter Cell exploit. It's been a while since I did it. Read up on it loads at that time but can't remember much of the details now. I didn't use an action replay either, just a usb pen drive and an Xbox-USB cable.

Looks like a decent tutorial with links to the files here:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-softmod-tutorials/20179-how-softmod-krayzies-ndure-installer-1-1-1-a.html

I thought you must have, but do you use it for Xbox Live ??

I never bothered, if your found out your IP is banned so your fooked at any future date, just in case you forgot to turn off the MOD.

Did you make your cable? A mate of mine did just splitting open the Xbox controller extension lead and then soldering it to a USB extender (only 4 wires - 1 spare) and then using his USB stick.

Actually it might be useful for other members here instead of buying a cable and they can solder? Saves them buying a memory card/action replay.

Yup, I've used it on Xbox Live without getting banned, although not recently. The cable I bought online for something like fiver.

The idea is that when the mod is active XBL is disabled, you can't get to it if you wanted to. You have to boot unmodded to get access to XBL. Now it's always possible that MS could implement something to look for signs of mods on the hard disk but at this stage I'm really not too bothered, I haven't been on XBL in months and probably won't renew it anyway.

Back