Social Services

Hi lads,

I'm very concerned about my neighbours. Although its none of my business but they have recently had social services on their back claiming they have abused their son who is 15 years old. Now I have known this family for years and know they could never harm him or any of their children. They have turned to me today for some advice as they don't know what to do and the case has also gone to court for charges of child abuse. Also the police came to their house this morning unannounced and confiscated a few things from their house they claim was used to abuse the child and also took them for questioning. Is this allowed?

I did advice them to get a good solicitor but since I don't know much about how social services work etc I wasn't able to give any other advice to them therefore I decided to post on here and ask your views regarding this matter and what they should do? The child in question suffers from learning and other difficulties and is easily lead by anyone who approaches him.

if they r not abusing children the truth will come out take a back seet m8 if you know wat i mean

I dont know, as I have no understanding of the law when it comes to families etc.

All I can say, from reading your post is this; if the child had a protection order on him that prevented the family from contacting him and so on, then no - they probably were not allowed to do this. If a protection order like this was given, then it would have come from the courts.

But, and I can't stress this enough, that is only my interpretation of your post.

Ok fair enough they must have the powers to do this but what I don't understand is the fact that If they thought the child was at risk why haven't they taken the other children from them? They could easily say they could be beaten in the same way and that for their safety they have to be removed. Instead they have put them on the at risk register. I think there is something not right here and the social service may be doing some things they are not allowed to also I just remebered the social services said to the parents at the meetings that the child can come home anytime it wants to and that they can't stop him because he's 16 but then why have they removed him from his family giving the reason he had a protection order on him?

Last edited:
Ok fair enough they must have the powers to do this but what I don't understand is the fact that If they thought the child was at risk why haven't they taken the other children from them? They could easily say they could be beaten in the same way and that for their safety they have to be removed. Instead they have put them on the at risk register. I think there is something not right here and the social service may be doing some things they are not allowed to also I just remebered the social services said to the parents at the meetings that the child can come home anytime it wants to and that they can't stop him because he's 16 but then why have they removed him from his family giving the reason he had a protection order on him?
I think it is safe to say that a lot of local authorities are either playing it safe with the wellbeing of children, or doing very little at all.

With the recent Baby P trial, all the authorities are probably running round in circles trying to figure out what to do.

The latest I've been told the family have a new solicitor and they have been told that the social services and the police had no right to enter their property yesterday to remove their child as they did not have a court order and that it would have taken atleast a day to get this through therefore they could have spent the whole day with their child but I guess the main thing is that the child was never harmed by his parents and the solicitor recons the case will be dismissed easily in court as the social services only have the doctors report to go by.

I dont know what the family has told you or what has taken place but I will say this, did the family let the police in of their own accord?

The latest I've been told the family have a new solicitor and they have been told that the social services and the police had no right to enter their property yesterday to remove their child as they did not have a court order and that it would have taken atleast a day to get this through therefore they could have spent the whole day with their child but I guess the main thing is that the child was never harmed by his parents and the solicitor recons the case will be dismissed easily in court as the social services only have the doctors report to go by.
if there is a child protection order out this is a court order they dont need a new one

but saying that social workers are ******s anyway i hate them

I dont know what the family has told you or what has taken place but I will say this, did the family let the police in of their own accord?

The social worker handling the case called the police before going to the familys house to see the boy and when the police arrived the family opened the door and they just barged in and the social worker said to the family they have to remove the child because they have a protection order on him.

The social worker handling the case called the police before going to the familys house to see the boy and when the police arrived the family opened the door and they just barged in and the social worker said to the family they have to remove the child because they have a protection order on him.
well, I guess thats that then. I dont think you will get much from DW other than giving as much support to the family as you feel you should. Afterall you know them whereas probably none of us dont.

As long as they have a sollicitor that makes them aware of everything thats all you can do. After all, the protection order has been enforced and the police and social services have already collected the child. There isnt much you can do about that at the moment, bes to leave it to the courts for now?

Interesting, but it seems that information only comes across in litlle bits.

Social services would have had to do an assessment on other children in the famioly.

As has been said, social services are understaffed. The caseloads for workers are far to high. This is the fault of the local authority not wanting to finance a proper service.

The social workers team managers often override the social workers assessment of a situation to fit the work to the budget.

Social workers are generally well trained, they now have to complete a degree to register, overseas workers normally have a 3 or 4 year degree anyway, and have to prove their competency to the council to register.

Most social workers are very caring people, and are dedicated (you would have to be to take the work stress that are under, and the conditions imposed on them)

The problem comes in the management and financing by the LA.

The mix up in this case seems to be entirely the fault of the child, he probably did not realise that there are procedures in place that have to be followed when there is a report of violence and evidence (bruising). Hopefully it won't be to painful or expensive to sort out.

Interesting, but it seems that information only comes across in litlle bits.

Social services would have had to do an assessment on other children in the famioly.

As has been said, social services are understaffed. The caseloads for workers are far to high. This is the fault of the local authority not wanting to finance a proper service.

The social workers team managers often override the social workers assessment of a situation to fit the work to the budget.

Social workers are generally well trained, they now have to complete a degree to register, overseas workers normally have a 3 or 4 year degree anyway, and have to prove their competency to the council to register.

Most social workers are very caring people, and are dedicated (you would have to be to take the work stress that are under, and the conditions imposed on them)

The problem comes in the management and financing by the LA.

The mix up in this case seems to be entirely the fault of the child, he probably did not realise that there are procedures in place that have to be followed when there is a report of violence and evidence (bruising). Hopefully it won't be to painful or expensive to sort out.
most social workers r wa*kers
they are little hitlers
who think they know more than most ppl do
ok they have a degree what does that make them most r 20 ish old to understand humans/people u need to have lived
that is where ppl start to understand human nature not learning it from a book
i have had dealings with them most havent got a clue

Most social workers are decent human beings.

By being human they make mistakes.

As has been said before, they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Back