Smoke Alarms...

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
...having read the earlier post (it would have been insensitive to comment there) just thought a few notes on smoke alarms.

I know you can get very cheap ones and they are better than nothing but...

Ideally, go for linked, mains-powered alarms with battery backup. They should be on a separate circuit and the alarm should be suited to the location. For example, optical alarms react to the sort of fires you get from soft furnishings such as chairs and sofas, ionisation alarms react best to fast burning fires. In kitchens you may be better off with a heat alarm as smoke is likely under normal conditions so a standard smoke alarm could be subject to false triggering.

The advantage of linked alarms is that they all go off whichever one detects the issue. They should be installed a minimum of 30cm from walls and light fittings to reduce the possibility of false triggering.

You should also give them a clean annually - a quick whizz over with the Hoover nozzle is usually all that is required and regularly press the test button.

Check the manufacturers guidelines for battery replacement and follow them (usually annually). Also, the alarm itself has a lifetime - replace according to manufacturer guidelines (usually 10 years).

Every room in the house should be close enough to an alarm to find the noise painful if they go off...by Building Regulations that's within 7.5 metres of every internal door. Ceiling mounted is best but wherever installed, avoid locations that are dusty, subject to condensation, radiators or other heating appliances etc.

Remember your local Fire Service will come out and offer advice and you may qualify for free fitting.

You can also check your local Building Control office for guidance notes - many are downloadable free.

You can also post questions on this thread and if I don't know the answer, I'll go find out for you.

You have no excuses now!

Actually, your local Fire Brigade will fit them for free anyway regardless, I have two with 10 Year battery life (Fire Angel) so not the cheap nasty ones.

Actually, your local Fire Brigade will fit them for free anyway regardless, I have two with 10 Year battery life (Fire Angel) so not the cheap nasty ones.

I worded my post carefully - you MAY qualify for free fitting. If you do, it's to minimum standard. Liverpool area is on cost-recovery model. Gloucestershire and Strathclyde is free. The check is free but fitting is dependent on area.

i just replace mine. b&q had special a few weeks back
buy one get one free on any smoke alarms, got twin packs of fire angels for £13
so 4 for £13 made then £3.25 each bargain

(got to be careful what I say here & my sympathies are absolutely with ghenkiskhan. My post is entirely my own & not on behalf of my employers)
As already said on the other thread, condolences with ghenkiskhan.
I fit these things regularly, normally we fit one free of charge on each level, if a householder wants some more for peace of mind they'll get them, especially if there's kids in the house. Recently we've started fitting heat alarms in kitchens FOC too. I'd love to turn up at an unavoidable house fire & all the occupants are standing outside saying there's nobody inside. Doesn't happen very often but if everybody has a working smoke alarm there's more chance of it.
We advise folk to keep room doors closed when everybody's sleeping thinking that whichever room the fire starts in some smoke will set off the down or upstairs alarm & occupants will either leave the property safely or stay in one room, open windows, shout for help, call 999 etc.
EVERYBODY's entitled to a free smoke alarm, might save a life. Phone your local fire brigade & request a free home fire safety visit.
Again, sympathies to ghenkiskhan.
HH.

And for those that already have them fitted, why not make it battery testing day 31st Dec each year making sure the new year is nice and safe :D

(got to be careful what I say here & my sympathies are absolutely with ghenkiskhan. My post is entirely my own & not on behalf of my employers)
As already said on the other thread, condolences with ghenkiskhan.
I fit these things regularly, normally we fit one free of charge on each level, if a householder wants some more for peace of mind they'll get them, especially if there's kids in the house. Recently we've started fitting heat alarms in kitchens FOC too. I'd love to turn up at an unavoidable house fire & all the occupants are standing outside saying there's nobody inside. Doesn't happen very often but if everybody has a working smoke alarm there's more chance of it.
We advise folk to keep room doors closed when everybody's sleeping thinking that whichever room the fire starts in some smoke will set off the down or upstairs alarm & occupants will either leave the property safely or stay in one room, open windows, shout for help, call 999 etc.
EVERYBODY's entitled to a free smoke alarm, might save a life. Phone your local fire brigade & request a free home fire safety visit.
Again, sympathies to ghenkiskhan.
HH.
:goodpost:

And for those that already have them fitted, why not make it battery testing day 31st Dec each year making sure the new year is nice and safe :D
:goodpost: and Im doing that right now!

nice thread guys, I am arranging a visit from Strathclyde's finest tomorrow.

cheers

Back