Smart meter Gas supply

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on British gas and the meter is a card, pay as you go which means a trip to the shop. I've just had a smart meter fitted for my electric (EON) so I went to see if possible to have a smart meter for gas fitted via British gas.
When I checked my account at British gas it says something like;

"We do not have the technology to install you a smart meter. You are on a waiting list we will let you know when......"

Whats the script with gas smart meters ? are they out and if so who's doing them ?. My meters outside in a ground box very easily accessible.

When i had mine done through Spark Energy they would only change the electric and gas meters together.
There was no option to have 1 or the other.
That was almost 3 years ago...
British gas must be well behind on tech if they cant fit you 1.

Why are you still with British Gas.
Surely there is a cheaper supplier for gas than them at the moment or is it a new deal you have signed with them.
I know there is a few suppliers if you sign a new contract, it’s part of the contract to have a smart meter installed.
EON did mine last year and I am now with Pure Planet energy this year.
I am a member of the Martin Lewis energy club which finds you the latest deals and help you switch.
I never stay with suppliers anymore as soon as my deal ends I move onto a new one if my supplier can’t match it.
There is rarely any customer loyalty anymore with companies.
I do the exact same thing with my home and car insurance.
If they cannot match the deals that I have found then I move on to a new insurer. 🤑

When i had mine done through Spark Energy they would only change the electric and gas meters together.
There was no option to have 1 or the other.
That was almost 3 years ago...
British gas must be well behind on tech if they cant fit you 1.
Like I said their website says we do not have the tech you are on a waiting list, so who does and I will switch to them. tbh we have just been on the card and thats it. With the smart meters out for electric I just thought get the gas done.

just get them to install a dry meter mate get rid of the card one
was this card meter fitted before you stayed there ?

Like I said their website says we do not have the tech you are on a waiting list, so who does and I will switch to them. tbh we have just been on the card and thats it. With the smart meters out for electric I just thought get the gas done.
EON stipulate that when they supply you with energy your metres will be changed to smart meters.
They did with me when I was using them as a supplier last year.
Also if you haven’t changed suppliers in sometime you’ll be on one of their dearest tariffs no doubt.
I would definitely get rid of the prepaid meter as I would imagine you are paying more for your gas than you would on a dry meter.
Here’s a list of smart meter suppliers.
When will my energy supplier install my smart meter?

all you need to do is tell them you want a dry meter . british gas will fit a smart meter as no point in fitting an old style one

Why not switch your gas to your Electric supplier (EON) - then would get the benefit of a Dual Fuel tariff ?

Chances are, they would then fit a gas smart meter -- Ring them up and ask..

=============

I'll explain,
I tried online to switch to a smart meter through British Gas website and "my account". I did this because I got p*ssed off been hold on the telephone and thought be easier online as they all keep preaching to me.

After entering my postcode for a Smart meter I got a message saying:-

We do not have the technology yet.....bla bla bla you are on a waiting list we'll get back in time.

So I decided to ring up instead and go on hold for 25-30 minutes and eventually I got through to a British Gas agent who said the website is incorrect and it needs updating and j can have a Smart meter installed.

I then booked for the latest Smart meter to be installed on the 6th April.

In these times when everything is been done online British Gas can't even get their website in order,
I think I might be looking for a dual tariff as soon as its installed

Make your self a member of the Martin Lewis energy club. Finds you the best deals and keeps track of what tariff you are on and compares the prices. Simple

Just on the subject again regarding smart meters. I have a Smartview2 hub EON left after I had an electric smart meter fitted before the gas smart meter was installed.

The Smartview2 is more like a bike computer and tbh it's abit shit so when British Gas fitted their smart meter the fitter said:

"You can use the EON Smartview2 the EON guy left, that will show you everything you need to know about your gas usage " but the problem is it doesn't.
The Smartview2 shows a gas symbol but you can see anything: usage details nothing as it's not connected.
I told British Gas and they said
"Go dual tariff with us you will get a hub a proper one like a tablet far more detailed than that Smartview2".

I said, "What if I want 2 separate deals EON & British Gas would you give me a British gas hub ?", They said,
"Because you have the Smartview2 hub connected you can't run a second hub for gas,
Is this true ? you can only have one indoor smarthub connected at a time and if your not dual tariff you will only be able to monitor the usage of the the company who supplied the hub?

Make your self a member of the Martin Lewis energy club. Finds you the best deals and keeps track of what tariff you are on and compares the prices. Simple
im a member of that club...presently with avro energy 12 month deal which is ending on 18th may 2021. been looking at switching but nothing is better then the deal that im on at the moment . Energy prices are going up..i get the annual usage for gas and electricity from avro but when i enter the info in looking for deals on Martin leweis energy club..i see slightly cheaper rates by a few pennies for cost per Kw of gas and electric but the standing charges go up a lot...gonna ring avro and see what they can offer me or keep me on the same tariff that im presently on...

@johnny bravo I'm on almost the same thing (runs out 2.6.2021.) and same predicament with avro energy , just wondering if you have rang them yet? if you have, have you got anywhere with a new deal?

@johnny bravo I'm on almost the same thing (runs out 2.6.2021.) and same predicament with avro energy , just wondering if you have rang them yet? if you have, have you got anywhere with a new deal?
No mate...gonna ring them and see if they can offer me a better or same deal to stay...just can't find anything as present deal.

just an update...i tried ringing avro energy but they dont answer calls unless an emergency. ive looked on Martin Lewis Energy Club and coudnt find any deal thats better then what avro have offered me so im sticking them with them...

simple and fix 12m

electricity standing charge per day is 18.9 pence perday
electricity per unit 16.345pence

gas standing charge per day is 18.9 pence per day
gas per unit 2.94 pence per day

No early exit fee...so if i find a cheaper deal later i can switch without paying any exit fees..

its a bit more expensive then before but not as expensive as others that i have found.

Why would anyone in there right mind want a smart meter?🙈

Electrically wise, they measure power use differently, in a way which will probably cost you more.

There is a large contactor in the electrical ones which can be remotely operated, to disconnect you.

I work in a slightly related industry; I design stuff that detects and manages faults on the distribution network and a few of my colleagues have had calls to have these installed and have declined.

Back