Sly ISP and card sharing.

cdy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello all. I've a friend who works at Sly and can get me a decent discount on broadband/landline rental. Thing is I'm hoping to subscribe to another colleague's card-sharing network soon (forgive terminology if incorrect). Any chance Sly will be able to detect what's going on? Many thanks.

Yes, especially if you use defualt softcam ports. Safest bet is dont use SLY broadband and use non-default ports for softcams and VPN between yourself and server.

Yes, especially if you use defualt softcam ports. Safest bet is dont use SLY broadband and use non-default ports for softcams and VPN between yourself and server.
I'm not quite sure what softcam ports are but I understand the most important point of your post. Damn!! OK, so maybe I better stick with VM! Thanks, gsm.

Hi sorry to jump in but whats a VPN?

VPN means Virtual private network.

In short you pay them, monthly, some are cheap some are steep, you get a bandwidth allowance, just like you would with an ISP, deppending on what VPN provider you go with, some are better some a worse. And they provide you back with one of there IP adresses that covers and is surposed to protect your real IP address from being leaked and you carry on using the net as you would. So you pay your ISP for the connection and you pay the VPN provider to cover your real IP.

Would Tor or Privoxy be beneficial in this context?

VPN means Virtual private network.

In short you pay them, monthly, some are cheap some are steep, you get a bandwidth allowance, just like you would with an ISP, deppending on what VPN provider you go with, some are better some a worse. And they provide you back with one of there IP adresses that covers and is surposed to protect your real IP address from being leaked and you carry on using the net as you would. So you pay your ISP for the connection and you pay the VPN provider to cover your real IP.

but this wont hide your real IP FROM your ISP as they issue you with it to begin with, so to host a CS server and hide what youre up to from your ISP, you need to think differently

VPN will encrypt the traffic thru the VPN tunnel so even if Sly were to monitor your traffic dont think they will be able to gather much information on what type of traffic is goinging between source and destination.

With VPN you are assigned another IP address that is local to the network you are connecting, Most VPN client software will create a virtual network adapter that is used to carry traffic from source to destination. You will still be connecting to a public IP address for the VPN server - once connected and an private IP address is assigned, you are now part of a private network.

Is is this private IP address you use to connect to the CS server and not the public IP address and as said all traffic is encrypted.

Last edited:
VPN will encrypt the traffic thru the VPN tunnel so even if Sly were to monitor your traffic dont think they will be able to gather much information on what type of traffic is goinging between source and destination.

With VPN you are assigned another IP address that is local to the network you are connecting, Most VPN client software will create a virtual network adapter that is used to carry traffic from source to destination. You will still be connecting to a public IP address for the VPN server - once connected and an private IP address is assigned, you are now part of a private network.

Is is this private IP address you use to connect to the CS server and not the public IP address and as said all traffic is encrypted.

And that STILL sits inside a tunnel with a VISIBLE outside IP Address, and therefore your ISP still knows what your source and target address locations are.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/272699/#post2003569

Last edited by a moderator:
Errrr, OK! Thanks. So in a nutshell having Sly as my ISP is a big no-no?

And that STILL sits inside a tunnel with a VISIBLE outside IP Address, and therefore your ISP still knows what your source and target address locations are.

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/272699/#post2003569

very true, but the ISP doesnt know what port you are connecting to within the tunnel - so they cant really say "ohh look Jimmy here is connecting to port 3400 which is a common card sharing port". The ISP will just seen another TCP connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
very true, but the ISP doesnt know what port you are connecting to within the tunnel - so they cant really say "ohh look Jimmy here is connecting to port 3400 which is a common card sharing port". The ISP will just seen another TCP connection.
I was told something very similar last night by a bloke I know who has a BM7000 and was previously with Sly for BB.

Something to consider is c/s through a mobile internet if you get good signal to your house, i haven't tried this yet myself but have a few mates who do this. I'm doing internal c/s with someone i know down my road, they got all sly channels, that's all i need. :D

sky only lease from bt so its no different which provider you use and tbh i know peeps on it and use it for cs for yonks

Back