Slow pc and slow internet

pokey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all

Hope someone can help.

I recently reformatted my XP pc and it was running really so. After reinstalling xp the pc and internet is still slow. I have VM 10mb BB which i use either wired or wireless.

The laptop i have running win 7 runs fine but the desktop runs slow. It takes an age to load any page. When checking the speed i seem to be getting a spped of 0.72 where as the laptop is getting 9/10mb.

Both machines have the latest AV updates and i have turned off as much from msconfig as poss.

Can anyone advise if i need to configue any setting or check my setting are correct. I was thinging along the lines of ipconfig etc.

Any help would be great.

I have updated all but 2. In device manager there are 2 which are yellow and are unknown. I have clicked on update driver but it fails. Not sure what they relate too.

Open the side of the desktop and check for dust around CPU, GPU and RAM. Clean with either compressed air or a vacuum cleaner (but not using the brush attachment).

When did you last paste the CPU? The paste is only optimal for 2-3 years. May also be worth testing the RAM and hard drive respectively with Memtest86+ and SeaTools (or hard drive manufacturer equivalent).

are you hard wired into the router or wireless with the desktop?

it sounds like the two yellow unknown devices may be to do with the lan card?

what does it say in the properties for the 2 unknown ones?

I am wireless on the desktop but i have tired it wired and it is still the same.

When i go into device manager the 2 unknown devices are in the other devices. Thwy both say " The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver." and all the details say unknown.

Open the side of the desktop and check for dust around CPU, GPU and RAM. Clean with either compressed air or a vacuum cleaner (but not using the brush attachment).

When did you last paste the CPU? The paste is only optimal for 2-3 years. May also be worth testing the RAM and hard drive respectively with Memtest86+ and SeaTools (or hard drive manufacturer equivalent).

Before i reinstall the OS i took the side off and gave it a clean.

I have never pasted the CPU

Get the model of the motherboard, go to the manufacturers website and get all the official drivers.

Also where u getting those speeds from? VM call it 10Mb (megabits), however the speed might be being reported elsewhere as 1MB (megabytes) - in which case it's reporting correctly, it's just being read wrong

Get the model of the motherboard, go to the manufacturers website and get all the official drivers.

Also where u getting those speeds from? VM call it 10Mb (megabits), however the speed might be being reported elsewhere as 1MB (megabytes) - in which case it's reporting correctly, it's just being read wrong

The desktop is a HP ProLiant ML115 G5 server. I have tried using the disks for the device manager issues but no look.

I am getting the speed from Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I have a laptop running Win7 and the BB speed is coming back at 9-10mb which is correct. Surely i could be getting the same speeds with the desktop too?

If both devices are going thru the same router, then yes.

Looks like there's no xp drivers as its designed as a server rather than desktop - u had xp on before?

HP ProLiant ML115 G5 Server series*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

Yes i had XP on it before and it worked fine no issues and was super fast, then it started to get slow and slugish so decided to re-install windows, but since doing that the internet so stupidly slow and i have those driver issues.

I'll take a look at the link for HP and see if i can sort that one.

Any ideas on why the internet speed is slow on the desktop but not the laptop when they both go through the same router?

Thanks

As previously mentioned earlier, it could be the LAN driver. If it's not communicating with the router properly it could be defaulting to the lowest speed it can work at. Depends what else isnt installed too.

Hi Pokey, get this software https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/268915/ get the version from the 3rd post. It will scan your pc and automatically download all the latest drivers including the unknown ones. Hope this helpes.

I think i have sorted the unknown devices now - thanks for help.

The issue i now have is the wireless connection is constantly trying to acquire a network address. Any ideas how i get get the router to assign an ip? I am still able to get onto the internet and if i do an ipconfig it has assigned an ip address. If i try and release the ip address and renew the ip address the ip address does not change. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Uninstall your wireless device drivers in device manager, reboot PC and let them load again also did you restart your router.

Back