Sky Sports HD channels - ? end of C/S for Virgin

Actually it will make running IPTV more costly.

Previously, you could have a Linux box decode streams on the TP (via C/S) and stream the unencrypted TS's directly to some server, meaning ~20 TP's of useful channels needed 20 boxes.

Now you have to have one box dedicated per channel, as your capturing the HDMI output and transmitting it, so you now need 1 box per channel, so 200+. That's goanna push the costs up unless the operators do some restructuring and co-operating.

There's other ways to get the chans too mate, loads are in use for the likes of LEsport and NBC etc.
I can see quite a lot going down the web-cap route and why not? It's a nice way to do it.

There's other ways to get the chans too mate, loads are in use for the likes of LEsport and NBC etc.
I can see quite a lot going down the web-cap route and why not? It's a nice way to do it.

I'm not saying there aren't other ways ... but it's still a lot of change (both for the customer and the operator)

pardon my ignorance, but what is the web-cap route?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Capturing web streams, can be done a number of ways ranging for using software like OBS to pulling the streams they use (traffic, cookie sniffing etc).

Sites like Sky Go, VM anywhere, TVplayer etc etc can be used as source.

Capturing web streams, can be done a number of ways ranging for using software like OBS to pulling the streams they use (traffic, cookie sniffing etc).

Sites like Sky Go, VM anywhere, TVplayer etc etc can be used as source.
thanks mate , I didn't know web-cap was web capture, ive not heard the term before, appreciated

Web Streams don't seem common knowledge over here, even though providers offer them few people use them. Seems more popular in the USA.

I think this kind of offering came too late in the UK, with Netflix and less focus on 'fixed broadcast' streams.

I was only thinking back to ~2002 when UK cable first got hacked using ROM10(and a initial private funcard hex) on PACE boxes. How TV has changed since then... How different will it be in 15years time from now?

How different will it be in 15years time from now?

It wont be...prices will go up and we will still be watching repeats of only fools and horses lol

It wont be...prices will go up and we will still be watching repeats of only fools and horses lol

Guessing traditional movies channels will be ditched in favour of VOD type streaming. Live channels could be reduced to just that ... live sports etc.

Sky will probably be delivering channels over broadband (As I expect VM will) - so they will move more like Netflix model. SD will be no more ... HD/UHD/Something newer will exist ...

But yeah ... Only fools and horses LOL... Although you can ALWAYS find time for that !

Guys look down the iptv route,A lot of new systems are being put in place and you should continue to enjoy your tv,Sky /bt and all the other major players from the usa and euro countries and world wide cannot roll out stuff quick enough to kill things off,:cool::):):)

Even though IPTV will get more costly, i can see the providers ditching a load of the second rate channels. They'll keep subbing for Scy Sports and BT sports, maybe the most popular Docu channels and the odd popular Music and Kids TV.
Maybe Prmier movies, but i think they'll ditch the rest. You got Terrerium etc for films.

If anything there will be more channels available as more providers enter the market.

If anything there will be more channels available as more providers enter the market.
Surely no provider will take a sub out for poor channels just showing age old repests in low quality SD?

Or are there other cheaper ways to get the channels streamed ? :)

Out of curiosity, how much do people charge for iptv of all/most premium channels including sport? Are those available in SD or can you get 720p/1080i streams in decent quality? Do they use h265 to encode or just using h264?

Surely no provider will take a sub out for poor channels just showing age old repests in low quality SD?

Or are there other cheaper ways to get the channels streamed ? :)
Yes there other ways but please do not ask me to go down that route as its a different ball game

Out of curiosity, how much do people charge for iptv of all/most premium channels including sport? Are those available in SD or can you get 720p/1080i streams in decent quality? Do they use h265 to encode or just using h264?
Between £60 and £150 for a decent sub depending on the package

It would depend on the quality of service. I pay £25 for 3 months and it's very satisfactory.
I'm sure there are cheaper, but as there'd be more customers, the quality may suffer?

Back