Sky HD

bert1 said:
How long b4 we see a film or match only available on hd channels? trying to force the rest to upgrade.....!

its here already :(

look at the discovery channels and usethe i button for the prog information

discovery HD is showing the new programmes before the normal channel is

things can only get worse

if you ask me HD is the industrys way of conning us into buying something we dont need to make up for the shortfalls in the digital picture compared to analogue

its all a conspiracy lol

Mairyhinge said:
It might be a conspiracy but I want it!!!

Would you honestly pay them £300 for the receiver and £10 extra each month ,Wait till xmass and they'll be giving them away free greedy fookers

I do like MHs attitude tho.....u did work for it and if that makes u tick..good for u m8 and enjoy......but I have 2 say digi has a point and im a bit convinced that pic quality aint what it could be at the mo.....the pic quality seems much better on the astra1 chans for the same world cup games than here.....

as for me.....if $ly keep offering me comeback offers -great -but my days of full price and a take it or leave it customer service attitude are over.....

am i missing somthing here??? you all want this new technology and not think about the price??

tv licence bill
sky tv bill
hd bill

soon they want an MOT ticket on you tv set
it like your running a bloody car but it just stays in the corner

I would rather keep my money in the bank thanks and go to see these places with my own eyes rather than watch it in fookin hd,what another rip off and some peeps are just happy to hand it over, lol
i think the world has gone mad hee hee

chelsea said:
......what another rip off and some peeps are just happy to hand it over, lol
i think the world has gone mad hee hee
I agree :)
-------------------------
The below has been taken from the BBC's website....

It was 14.03 pm on Saturday 10 June, during England's opening match with Paraguay. Beckham was poised to take a vital free kick.
As the rest of the team jostled in the penalty area, I suddenly heard a loud roar from the pub down the road.
For a split second I was puzzled, but then realised these were England fans celebrating a goal, which according to my set had yet to be scored.
Sure enough, I looked back at my HD set and saw Beckham's kick soar into the back of the net.
The truth dawned, the HD picture was delayed by a second or so. That may not seem much, but it is enough to spoil your enjoyment of a match.
A roar from the pub serves advance notice of what I was about to see on my set.
In the case of a penalty shoot-out, the delay would ruin the drama completely.

A BBC spokeswoman admitted this was a problem, answer- Shut your windows :(

---------------
If this delay is a big disappointment, so too is the lack of authentic HD programmes, even on the dedicated channels!!!!!

Quote- "I first realised this while watching Test cricket from the West Indies. Even though this was shown on Sky Sports HD, the picture quality lacked the tell-tale clarity.
A Sky spokeswoman confirmed my suspicion that I had been watching a conventional broadcast relayed on the HD channel.
#####"Not all programming on all high-definition channels is actually HD," she said.#####
A quick survey confirmed a real dearth of authentic HD programming on the dedicated channels.
Not a single programme on Sky One HD in the schedules for the evening of 20 June had been shot in HD.
The same went for the evening schedules for Sky Sports HD for 19 June. Sky admitted that their only HD channels with guaranteed 100% HD content were the film channels."

(how can Sky charge customers an extra £10 for a "so called" HD transmission when they ain't even transmitting in friggin' HD!!)

Nice quote from elsewhere- "Digital is not a step forward, it is just a good way to make the dumb public think they are getting quality. In reality, the broadcasters cost went down as they squeezed many channels on on e transponder.
HDTV is a new standard and as such should not attract a higher premium to view it. But again the gullable public are willing to dip their hands into their pockets and pay for something that really dosn't exist (yet)."

----------

What gets me personally is the fact that everyone buys a tv that is "HD Ready" and really dont understand that it is only a 'half' high definition and not really true HD Digital. The HD standards are very mis-informing and people dont realise that what they are watching is mostly not true HD but most likely a reduced HD in some way or a "pretend HD", the broadcasters do not even have standards to comply to so can easily rip-off their viewers! Over-compression (artifacts) or low bit rates (Blockyness on fast moving images or picture change) is something that seems will be very common with HD in the UK, so are the costs really justified??

pinkhelmets said:
What gets me personally is the fact that everyone buys a tv that is "HD Ready" and really dont understand that it is only a 'half' high definition and not really true HD Digital. The HD standards are very mis-informing and people dont realise that what they are watching is mostly not true HD but most likely a reduced HD in some way or a "pretend HD", the broadcasters do not even have standards to comply to so can easily rip-off their viewers! Over-compression (artifacts) or low bit rates (Blockyness on fast moving images or picture change) is something that seems will be very common with HD in the UK, so are the costs really justified??

i totally agree with the above

Im currently doing a course thats costing me a small fortune just so i can use the 'digital ready' tick and becime a registered installer, the aerial industry finally has standards and its going the same way as corgi with gas, but this course teaches EVERYTHING to do with digital tv and i was amazed at how much bullshit surrounds HD

at the end of it all a recieved and decoded HD signal will be 96% as good as a 100% perfect analogue picture

ill stick with what i can get for free or as little as possible ;)

Last edited:
With regard to PH's comment...I had the same prob with my neighbour when Joe Cole scored v Sweden......Whats all that about i thought and a few seconds later i realised.....Not to sound an anorak but my analogue aint the greatest and so take all my pics from a sat dig tuner......i looked around and found the game the game on Astra1 which not only had better pic quality but the delay had almost but not quite disappeared.....not spot on but nowhere near the couple of seconds that i was getting.....and not really enuff for ne1 else to spoil .....apart from it being in german that is...

What is going on here that causes such a delay ?

(Does this also mean when an announcer tells us that its exactly ten o clock-they're lying to us? : shocked2 )

Digi- you're the second guy i've heard say that about perfect analogue quality being better- the other guy works for one of the tv manufacturers....sad thing is tho no sports chans in analogue ne more...and those analogue freqs seem like a golden calf.

Last edited:
Just been involved in a poll about high definition TV for a consumer magazine and guess what !

85% of people asked failed to spot the difference between BBC High def and BBC analog until they were told (at which point apparently, it became very obvious to them). This really goes to show that High def is basically just a marketing ploy to sell equipment !

an analogue picture can have (in theory) an unlimited amount of colours, only capped by what the human eye can distinguish, as digital is all binary they use 1 byte for blue, 1 for red and one for green before compression, this gives 256 shades of each colour, so 256x256x256=16,777,216 colours, wow sounds a lot dont it, they count the binary code 00000000 as one of the shades, this is binary for 'off' or 'none' so work it out again and that takes nearly 1/4 million colours off the total 255x255x255=16,581,375, they also count all 3 as 11111111 which is white, so work it out again and weve lost nearly half a million colours from our massively impressive soundingspectrum just by losing black and white

nozzer said:
(at which point apparently, it became very obvious to them).

the obvious give away is the corners of the mouths on newsreaders etc, as only the moving parts of thepicture is transmitted you can see the blockinh where the pic used from memory meets the live broadcast

Just another thought m8....would you recommend an hd tv to MR MAGOO ?:Clap: :banana:

PS you just stole my soul too!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Last edited:
bert1 said:
Just another thought m8....would you recommend an hd tv to MR MAGOO ?:Clap: :banana:

i wouldnt 'recommend' HD to anyone lol, everyone who has asked me about it ive told not to bother lol

bert1 said:
PS you just stole my soul too!!!!!!!!!! LOL

17 perverted souls in 2 days, not bad if i do say so myself lol

I thought it was a new dm patch;)

Can I have it back now please.....need it for sumfin else

not to throw a spanner in the works and maybe to play devils advocate a bit but i think hd is outstanding depending on the tv set and as long as the broadcast isnt just upresed i think its vastly better than any thing i have seen b4 .as for any probs with the box it mostly seems to be down to the download of the box from new

yep i also agree novice- HD can be good, dont get me wrong guys. I would still recommend HD to those that want it, and i would try to explain how to avoid the traps and not to end up disappointed with equipment that is poor.

You cant do anything about rip-off subscription costs and you cant currently do anything about the vast fake HD that sky broadcast and uplink. But you can at least make sure you dont fall into the trap of a cheap HD Ready TV that basically just has HD input connections. True digital High Definition is 1920 x 1080 square pixels so any other size display panel requires an additional conversion process or several conversions to display a picture. A panel of 1280 x 720 square pixels is also a 'real' High Definition picture as the processing involved does not need to alter or re-define an image. All other panels including common 1024 x 768 or 852 x 480 (Plasma) dont display HD without altering the picture definition. So thats the point you may as well have a good analogue or digital picture and most wont notice the difference! Add the fact that HD currently suffers a lack of bit-rate, too much compression, uplink conversions from standard signals, additional receiver conversions, you will soon see why many people will state they have better end-user pictures than "High Definition".

Also the extreme delays of HD pictures are due to the fact that the signals are beamed to space then back down to earth but more importantly the extra amount of processing required for uplink and for final display. But it does seem that other european broadcasters have reduced the delay to almost un-noticeable minimum, so seems strange that BBC or Sky cannot do the same.

The UK seems way behind yet again with pure profit and greed ruling the way. Maybe the general public just have too much spare cash to throw away. :(

Sorry m8...i may have misled u slightly with an earlier post......I havent got an hd set up and the delay i was referring to was a normal uk digital sat reception compared with analogue and I assumed the same delay applied to hd....from your post is there a suggestion that there is a further slight delay with hd ?

Cheers

hi bert1, yes there is even further delay with HD. If you have SkyHD, a standard Sky digibox, a digital freeview box and old analogue tv all running next to each other you can see they all have different timings-
Analogue = fastest, call it base time
Freeview = almost undetected delay
Sky Digital = around 1 or 2 seconds delay after base time (depends on digibox)
HD = around 3 seconds delay after base.

So when you get HD it should come with a warning notice that windows should be kept closed during live events and double glazing recommended before use, lol. :p

Bizarre m8 yet sensible wen u explian it.....but the thing I dont get tho ph is the delay between Astra 28deg
and Astra 19deg.....the sweden v eng game was a good 2 seconds in front on one the german chans than uk......using same equip and method.....

I notice uk have own production on top would this explain? or maybe an analog sat chan i was looking at......? is there some science in the positioning of the sats that id be ignorant of...? just curious....

anyway m8 its too hot in uk to keep ur windows shut at the mo -it'l catch a few people out too -Welshmen wont publicly admit they're shouting for Eng but a good few are.........Now if only they'll invent something with a longer delay-so i can get my first scorer bet on......that would be nice....!!!!...

is it poss to watch SKY HD without having a sky box i.e. Humax with a cam, dragon or whatever in it, and lob your sky card into it to avoid the £10 monthly additional charge.

Can anyone recommend a good HD TV? LCD or Plasma? Around 40-42"

Back