Short throw projector advice pease.......

stevecuns

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys, i have a sanyo z5 projector atm. Excellent projector for my needs (mainly watching sports/films from sat or xbox) unfortunattly i am in the process of moving house and my new maximum distance (lens to wall) is only 9ft 7 ....... 8-(

This means that my projected image is way smaller then what i am used to. at my old house my lens to wall was around 13ft & this gave me a nice big screen.

Question is, what can i do about it?

have herd about these short throw pj's but not too up on them. they dont seem to have the lense shift etc like my trusty z5.

any recomondations on a fairly cheap solution, preff at least 720p hdmi second hand etc

I also read that you can get an externall short through lens for existing pj's. can i do this with the z5?

cheers in advance

Steve.........

Short throw generally need to have some set heights/distance, the ones I install as a minimum need to have a 2.4m ceiling, with about 90mm - 1200mm distance from the floor to provide a reasonable height for viewing. It also depends on what your looking at in terms of size, normally for that height you will get about 66" to 80" viewable.

Generally I use Epson, work out about £800 - £1000 ea though, but I/we (my company) are buying them in the hundreds.

One of my colleagues got one on test which is also interactive (much like a SMART/Promethean whiteboard but without the actual board), bloody Epson turned around and said they didn't wan't it back! Lucky sod.

I'm sure however there is something similar in the market but cheaper.

This may help you decide on best place/type so you can get an idea of spec (even if you don't get an Epson)

http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/

Last edited:
We do the JVC X3's and they have a pretty short throw, I have seen the mad idea of mirrors used to increase the distance before - thats as cheap and nasty as you will get for a temp solution. Mounting it backwards and projecting against a mirror thats about one or two metres away

Cheers for the info guys, Mirrors? never heard of that before lol......

can anyone sugest an alternative projector to my sanyo Z5 that could acheive apx 97" diag at just under 10 foot throw?

thanks again

Steve.....

Back