Shameful Waste

pipsqueaker

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was in Sainsburys Cafe yesterday (Sunday) just before closing time.
I bought a couple of coffees and a cake.
About ten minutes later the store was due to close.
The girl who made my coffee proceeded to count all the cakes and made a note of them.
I was flabbergasted when she then brought out a rubbish bag and tipped all the remaining cakes into it, and there were a lot of them. Even the big cakes that you buy by the slice.

How many homeless and OAPs would have loved some unwanted food. They could've even given them to the staff
It's not that the cakes were stale, she'd just charged me £1.19 for one.

Too much waste in this country, I feel

That's health and safety mate. Imagine they had given them away and someone got ill, they would sue them. But it is a big waste that's big industry for you.

That's health and safety mate. Imagine they had given them away and someone got ill, they would sue them. But it is a big waste that's big industry for you.

Yea I know it's H&S but the same could apply to me, what difference does it make if I paid for mine and someone got it free.
I actually think that a lot of companies in all industries use health & safety as an excuse to get their way.
I'm almost positive that if I asked someone from the HSE, he/she would say that the practice of giving away good free food is not against the rules

This is why you see people freecycling. There Is LOADS of perfectly good food thrown away every day, by the big supermarkets.

I think supermarkets should be able to donate waste food to those that need it, with a disclaimer that they take no responsibility for it after a third party takes it, for e.g soup kitckens.

This is why you see people freecycling. There Is LOADS of perfectly good food thrown away every day, by the big supermarkets.

I think supermarkets should be able to donate waste food to those that need it, with a disclaimer that they take no responsibility for it after a third party takes it, for e.g soup kitckens.

that is a good idea. i bet is a case of simple cost saveing, not only is there a risk to the company as said through h&s but also the supermarket giving food out would cost them, not the loss in sales the organisation and logistics of actually giving the food away. but as said if a soup kitchen ect was to pick up the food problem solved.

i wrk for asda and last christmas they threw just under £8000 of produce due to some fat finger tool who ordered why to much .. It wasnt run out but they would of been out of date by the time the store opened back up on boxing day .They would rather throw it that give it .

you along with others that day paid for the waste in the £1.19

my missus thinks im wierd, and i say shes a freak.

if a tin had a BBE date of 3 months ago on it, and you open it and its fine, i got no problem with eating it, if she sees something thats BBE tomorrow, she'll throw it out today, as 'its nearly gone off'

food tells you when its gone off (or most food does) by either looking, smelling or tasting bad

does an egg come out of the chicken with a date on it? does an apple grow a date as it leaves the tree?

i used to work in a fruit and veg shop about 18 years ago, and as well as rotating the stock, things that didnt sell as well (like kiwi's, pineapples, mangoes, etc) you used to feel etc to know when they were about 'to turn' and then throw them out

NOTHING in the shop had a BBE date on it

one thing that ALWAYS cracks me up now, read this and think about it if you dont get it first time.

go into a supermarket, and buy a pack of mushrooms, and look at the label. 'packed in a sterile environment, best before end xxxxxx'

its a mushroom FFS, its already an entire fungus and gone off

its as stupid as the warning on the back of KP peanuts saying 'WARNING!! contains nuts' or the sleeping tablets that say 'WARNING!! may cause drowsiness'

people are so fkin stupid its unreal, and always looking for someone to sue :(

this is why theres so much waste, over 95% of food thrown out by shops is fine for human consumption

did anyone see the documentary last year 'you are what you eat'?

the meat that goes into pedigree chum dog food can be traced right back to the actual cow on the farm that it came from and goes through more tests to ensure its safre than asdas own, tescos own, etc, beef joints that you buy to cook for your family on a sunday

supermarkets care more about what you feed your dog than what you feed your kids...............

my wife works for a cake producing company.
she used bring cakes home every week. then about 2 years was told, if you want to take any home, HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM. EVEN IF MADE TOOOO MANY FOR A PARTICULAR ORDER OR IF ANY CUSTOMER CHANGES THEIR MIND.
IF NOT, THEY WILL GO IN THE BIN.

think all shops call it shrincage* now so can claim tax back on waistage.i worked in iceland. i remember just b4 i left there was a large amount of dale pack stakes bbq and a lot others. in the main freezer up stairs DEEP FREEZE but there bbd was only a few days away .. i was told to bin them. i was a home shop delivery driver at the time. i put the lot in the van "with a built in freezer" and give them out.. what a waste

Back