setting up server for meida playback through pc and xbox plus general storage

chronoman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have bought one of these hp servers with cashback.
Can someone point me in the right direction what to install i want this to run all my media and backup files for pc.
All my comps run windows 7 apart from ipad2 and 3 xbox machines and want to run mkv videos as well as avi files .
My main pc holds all my drives but is higher end and only want to run for my 3d stuff .

Personally I would put any old operating system on and then install PS3mediaserver. As it transcodes on the fly it will stream ANYTHING in ANY format to any DNLA enabled device, this includes TV's, PC's, Xbox, PS3, Ipad, Mobile phones etc...

It can handle crappy AVI's or right up to full HD blu-ray (not just rips but full 50gb ISO's, a gigabit network is needed tho) with or without subtitles and in full 5.1 or 7.1, DTS or Dolby Digital surroundsound providing your playback device has surroundsound capability or is connected to a surroundsound amp & speakers.

There are versions for Windows (all versions), Linux and MAC.

Used it for donkey's years and never had any problems with cinavia on my PS3.

Only reason I don't use it now is my PS3 died and I got a media server instead.

got win server 2011 and never went well.I put win 7 on with ps3 server and worked sometimes.
Kruger sent me a tut so i am going to try the ubuntu setup now and got all day to play

Back