Server help please

Emmvee

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey guys
I have a small photography business and at the moment I have one good spec pc tower I use for my work. It has 3 hard drives in it but I am finding myself needing more storage space. A friend suggetsed a server that all my files are kept on. I know nothing about servers.
Do I just buy a tower with a huge hard drive I'm it and use that or is it more involved than that.
Please help as I'm running out of space again

You may also want to consider a NAS box like the Netgear Ready Nas which will take 2x2TB disks which are raided just in case one fails and connects into your home/work network

If you don't know much about PC and servers then as I would also suggest a NAS. This is not the cheapest NAS out there but I know several people using it and they rave about it,

Synology DS211j NAS Server; -; -; 0; 1; JBOD; Basic; 4: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Synology Network Attached Storage - Products :: DiskStation DS211j

Aside from file serving it also has download clients, DNLA (to stream video to games console or compatible TV), backup software, itunes support is quiet and low powered.

You need to add disks to it as well, I would suggest 2 x 2TB drives and mirror them. Don't forget to budget for an external 2TB to backup to as well.

There is a 4 disk version if you need more space.

Definitely agree with the nas suggestions...

Either a premade one or build one using Freenas and an old PC....

Thanx for your help guys.
Ive gone for the hp proliant.now my problem is
WHAT DO I DO !!!!!!!!!
I'm using a normal tower pc at the moment, is there a step thru guide on how to set up a sever coz ive never done it before and i dont want to loose any stuff..
TIA

You got a choice of installing windows 2008 server or Windows 7. Unless you have the experiance I suggest windows 7. Do you have a windows 7 install CD ?

You got a choice of installing windows 2008 server or Windows 7. Unless you have the experiance I suggest windows 7. Do you have a windows 7 install CD ?

It comes with 2008 server

Thanks. What do I do then, just setup the server like a normal tower

Yes, then you can set up file sharing to allow other computers to access files on the microserver.

Have you ordered any extra hard drives ?

Thanx for all your help guys. The server is up and running. I need some advice on a good back up utility. I use an external hard drive to work on the photos I take when I'm at home at nite. When I get to the office I want to back this up to the server. The files are very big ( 213gb ) and the progs I have tried take about 16 hours to back it up. Please help

Is that 213gb of changes on a daily basis or the total size of the folder you want to back up ?

You can use something as simple as robocopy if its only a few files changing. This can synchronise two folders and will only copy the changed data.

Are you backing up over the network or plugging the USB drive into the server ?

If network then what network speed is the server and PC connected to ? I know the server supports gb ethernet, its worth making sure that both your PC and switch do as well. With gb you should be able to get at least 40MB/s which is around 140GB an hour.

Is that 213gb of changes on a daily basis or the total size of the folder you want to back up ?

No it's just s few files I work on at home.

You can use something as simple as robocopy if its only a few files changing. This can synchronise two folders and will only copy the changed data.

Thankyou

Are you backing up over the network or plugging the USB drive into the server ?

Over network. But now you've said that I don't know why I'm not just plugging it into a USB on the server

If network then what network speed is the server and PC connected to ? I know the server supports gb ethernet, its worth making sure that both your PC and switch do as well. With gb you should be able to get at least 40MB/s which is around 140GB an hour.

Thanks for the tips. You're the best

Still having probs backing up from ext hd to server. I've tried robocopy but it doesnt work. Please help. I just want an easy back up utility that incrementally backs up the ext hd

Back