Mobile Phones Scrambled phone line ?

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard of a scrambled phone line ?

I moved to Tiscali over a year ago now and they installed a phone line for me as the house has never had one (only ever had cable)

so Ive just gone to move direct to TalkTalk (who now own Tiscali) wait it gets confusing lol

and they say the phone line has been scrambled and I need to pay £60 for an engineer to come out and unscramble it :err: although this drooped to £30 as TalkTalk would fund half the cost so to get me as a customer

apparently they are well within there rights to do this to phone lines and only need tell you when you are about to change supplier

I said to the guy "why the hell would I give you £30 to get me as a customer from a company that you already own lol ??

just wondered if any of you guys have heard of this scrambling of phone lines

has anyone heard of a scrambled phone line ?

I moved to Tiscali over a year ago now and they installed a phone line for me as the house has never had one (only ever had cable)

so Ive just gone to move direct to TalkTalk (who now own Tiscali) wait it gets confusing lol

and they say the phone line has been scrambled and I need to pay £60 for an engineer to come out and unscramble it :err: although this drooped to £30 as TalkTalk would fund half the cost so to get me as a customer

apparently they are well within there rights to do this to phone lines and only need tell you when you are about to change supplier

I said to the guy "why the hell would I give you £30 to get me as a customer from a company that you already own lol ??

just wondered if any of you guys have heard of this scrambling of phone lines

Sounds like there is some sort of dongle on the line m8. Never heard of it tho.

Sounds like absolute tosh to me. They are using gobbledegook to try and extract extra money from you.
Ask them for a full explanation as to the "scrambling" cos you are "worried" that your calls have been listened into and am thinking about asking the Police to investigate.

Their explanation should be worth another good post, lol.

Chookey

lol I know it sounds like a load of tosh
but its for real

just found this on MSE just been posted too
and its not me lol

Hi all,

Been with Tiscali (broadband and calls) for almost 3 years. I was with talktalk previously, and moved because they failed to ever connect my broadband (for five months! )......even though tiscali connected me in seven days. That 5 months on the phone to Talktalk customer service was hell, so upon hearing that other Tiscali customers have been receiving letters that we're being moved over to them, I sent tiscali an enquiry via the website today just to check whether or not I'm meant to have received one.

A couple of hours later, I had a sales rep from Talktalk call me, saying that they'd been informed I'd sent an enquiry (even though he didn't know what it was about), seeing if I wanted to move over to talktalk, and that 'maybe I didn't know it but when Tiscali took over my line they scrambled it, so that I can't take my line with me and making it virtually impossible for me to move to another provider'.

Can someone please confirm that this is just scare tactics? The thought of being tied to them is terrifying lol.

I'd like to get away from Talktalk asap, and as I need anytime calls and unlimited broadband I've worked out that moving to BT for my calls, and O2 for my broadband would be best. Especially with the cashback advice I've seen here!

To get O2, it says I need a BT line.....and I'm not sure of how the process of moving my service to two different providers works.

Do I sign up with BT for calls first and then sign up to O2 once I'm live with BT?
Do I still need a MAC code from Tiscali?
Is it going to cost me anything to go back to BT to begin with (I paid a £125 connection fee to BT when I first moved in here)?

I'd truly appreciate any help, as I want to go into any dealings with those companies with a little knowledge on my side.

Thanks in advance!

(According to Sam knows, my local exchange is Ibrox, in case that is relevant at all. I don't really have an understanding of all the LLU lark!)

Last edited:
Sounds more like it is LLU (local loop unbundled).... That basically means that the kit in the exchange is no longer BT kit but someone elses, and BT will charge any company £60 to change it back to BT...

Have a looksie here...
LLU Factsheet

Sounds more like it is LLU (local loop unbundled).... That basically means that the kit in the exchange is no longer BT kit but someone elses, and BT will charge any company £60 to change it back to BT...

Have a looksie here...
LLU Factsheet

That makes a lot more sense.

Back