SB 5101e intel chips?

clive58

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have 2 SB 5101e modems with intel chips in, 1 of which is mine and working on orig f/w and the other is my brothers who's just moved house and found he is offline, I always used to use the blackcat to change macs but each time I tried to change a mac I keep getting the VM registration blurb then have to cancel.
I've been reading the "sb5101.firmware.upgrade.tutorial.by.fercsa" and have been given a full dump from jumpinjo because the tut didn't give both files needed ie:
• Ambit/5101 hacked fullflash (250hack_dump_telnet.bin)
• My modded firmware (ntl250-sb5101_hack.bin)

I need more info on the setup and details to enter into the 250 configurator program as i cant get it connected yet.
I think jumpinjo has given me the right dump for ex-c&w for the modem but not sure if its ok for the intel chips or not. (I didnt ask)

I've been given macs from gentlex and have some of my own but they dont seem to be working and it is looking like I will soon be knocked offline too soon :/

Any advice or help guys? please.

Clive.

its something to do with the 250configurator prog' cause it now says connection established then stops responding so I need a file or 2 me thinks.

Ok, so which files where?

no java plugin for it.

Clive.

Last edited:
h, m8, u need to have these 2 files below install if u havent already done so...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&DisplayLang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B3-ED0E-4AF8-AE63-2F0E42501BE1&displaylang=en

once done also disconnect the coax feed from the modem before running the 250configurator and once u get the 250configurator running change the login username and password on the program and untick force cfg so u can get the correct tftp ip address once the modem says operational in the connection status page...

i know some of the macs i sent u r or use to be working macs so i think the tftp ip address for that area might of change so if u can post what tftp ip ur getting would be also helpful...

I'll give it a go later tonight but I have my daily good deed to do for the next few hours :)

Thanks for all your help once again gentlex, more ppl should say it as I know you dont get a member of the year award unless you do a lot.

Clive.

Right I've given it a go and the 250 configurator still hangs :(
I'm sure the netframework files are on but I'm not sure about the java plugin to run 250 configurator

After writing the file jumpinjo gave me to it, it boots with only the pc activity light on and when i read it in Blackcat and try to read the mac from it it says no config area found.

@jumpinjo,
Did I need to flash an additional file to it after your file like the "250hack_dump_telnet.bin" from the sb5101 firmware upgrade tutorial by fercsa?

Shall I make an adaptor for the max232 and try that way or dont it work that way?

Clive.

Shall I make an adaptor for the max232 and try that way or dont it work that way?

Clive.
if u cant get the 250configurator to work!!! u might have to do it the old fashion way and use telnet with hyperterminal, just follow the tut below and dont force the cfg

stop the scaning with this

Code:
cd \cm_hal
scan_stop
cd \

then press enter... then set the frequency by doing this... go to Internet Explorer and browse to the following page: http://192.168.100.1

and login
Login: Infinite
Password: SetValue

then Click on the security tab and type in your DS frequency (586750000) and click apply.

Switch back in the Hyperterminal window. and copy and paste this

Code:
cd \non
write
cd \

press enter... then write the mac by doing this (replace 00 11 22 33 44 55 with mac u want to use )

write_memory 2155776876 0x00
write_memory 2155776877 0x11
write_memory 2155776878 0x22
write_memory 2155776879 0x33
write_memory 2155776880 0x44
write_memory 2155776881 0x55
cd /non-vol
write

press enter... then this

Code:
cd \non
cd hal
cm_tuner 19
write
annex_a
write

press enter... then change the telnet username and password with this

Code:
cd \non
cd msg
user_name what
password ever
write

press enter... then disable bpi with this

Code:
enable force_cfgfile true
write

then press enter and reboot... once booted up u should have a locked status and if the mac is no good

just repeat these 2 command until u get online

cd /cm_hal
scan_stop

press enter... then write the mac by doing this (replace 00 11 22 33 44 55 with mac u want to use )

write_memory 2155776876 0x00
write_memory 2155776877 0x11
write_memory 2155776878 0x22
write_memory 2155776879 0x33
write_memory 2155776880 0x44
write_memory 2155776881 0x55
cd /non-vol
write

then press enter and reboot

Hi Clive, the dump i gave you is a full flash from cloned 5101e, which ive just checked by flashin another modem with and np,s

@jumpinjo,
I wonder if your file got corrupted when I transfered it to my pendrive then to the pc Im using blackcat on?

I cant get the 192.168.100 pages on it so I think I'll try and put it back to its original flash backup I took.

Clive.

I wonder if your file got corrupted when I transfered it to my pendrive then to the pc Im using blackcat on?

That has happend to me a lot of time's with the 4 GiG pendrive (no brand name) but when i use my kingston data traveler all the data moved seem's to work prefectly so i should think the datapen was at fault even formatting it make's no diffrence data still ends up bad.

I re-flashed it with my original flash backup file which went well, then I re-downloaded the flash file jumpinjo gave me and transfered it with a different pendrive and re-flashed the moddem with the file again.
Now it is asking me for a username & password for 192.168.100 pages which is a new development :)
I still cant get the 250 configurator to work tho' :(
Anyone got the java plugin i need? and where abouts does it go?

I have to go out for the rest of the day now but I'll be back on tonight, thanks chaps :)

Clive.

Anyone got the java plugin i need? and where abouts does it go?

Sound's like your getting there my SB modem never ask's me for a password to access the 192 page thats very strange indeed Clive as for the Java do you mean this one ?
I had trouble with the 250 configurator untill i installed the M$ Visual J & the .NET files then it worked. ;)

Edit: just thought seeing as your using the 250 telnet dump the login should be the same as a 250/255 i'm pretty sure :-/

Remember the Captial I on infinite & captial S & V on SetValue.
Login: Infinite
Password: SetValue

Last edited:
The username + password were Infinite + SetValue, thank you.

All I need now is to get the 250 configurator working and I'll be happy :)
I cant get to the modem and pc untill tomorrow now but thanks for that file Stressed, I think its just the thing i need :)

Clive.

Nope I already had the file on the pc so I uninstalled it and re-installed it again and re-booted, still the same.
Can someone post a screenshot of what the 250 configurator should look like before writting please (you dont have to put in a proper mac ;) )
just give me a pointer as to which settings have to be entered and how please, I just want to get the 250 configurator working.

Clive.

This is a screen shot from when i did a family member's modem month's ago had to help them over the phone & by email with screen shot's lucky i saved it.

Hope it helps you m8 remember these settings are for a Pure NTL area running a ambit 250. ;)

This is a screen shot from when i did a family member's modem month's ago had to help them over the phone & by email with screen shot's lucky i saved it.

Hope it helps you m8 remember these settings are for a Pure NTL area running a ambit 250. ;)

as above but select telnet and if u get it to work change the username and password and press change... if still cant get it work just use hyperterminal... that works just as go it just takes longer

Ah thats a lot more helpfull thanx chaps :)

I've just got to find:
The tftp ip addy for my mac?
Tuner type is till 19 for ex c&w isnt it?
Its not annex_3 its annex_a isnt it?
The DS freq for my area (ex c&w) is different isnt it?

Clive.

Ah thats a lot more helpfull thanx chaps :)

I've just got to find:
The tftp ip addy for my mac?
Tuner type is till 19 for ex c&w isnt it?
Its not annex_3 its annex_a isnt it?
The DS freq for my area (ex c&w) is different isnt it?

Clive.
yea freq 586750000 annex is A and untick force cfg... this will get u online if the mac is good with default config file... then u can right click on ur local area connection and go to status, then support, then details and see what the correct dhcp server ip which also ur tftp ip address for ur area, as they've change the address recently from the 1 in the stickys for east london which i think now ends with 14

Ok I got the 250 configurator to work on another HD, finally! :)
I have a working SB so I put a mac on it but unfortunately I dont have the config for it, its a 4meg mac and i got the tftp ip for it etc but once I put it on the other modem and go online I get a VM registration page asking for my postcode !!!!
Do I register or what?
Clive.

Back