Saltney Ferry man heads new fuel protest at Stanlow oil refinery

K

Inactive User
Reaction score
MORE than 150 motorists took part in a protest outside Stanlow oil refinery last night, angry at rising fuel prices.

Cars, vans and trucks joined a slow-moving convoy along the A5117, arriving at the fuel plant at around 9pm where they staged a drive-past.

Around 50 people then got out of their vehicles, waving banners bearing slogans such as “Fuel duty is highway robbery” and “Wake up Cameron”.

The man behind the demonstration, Kevin Bowker, 40, of Saltney Ferry, said the Government needed to act on fuel prices.

He launched the protest via the social networking website Facebook just 10 days ago along with Stephen Johnstone.

Mr Bowker, a dad-of-four, who referees full time in the Welsh National League, said he hoped this would “kick start the nation”.

He said: “This is something that has been stewing for some time.

“This campaign has grown through word of mouth, talking to friends and it went from there. It recently cost me £85 to fill up my Vauxhall Vectra. Fuel prices are ridiculous.

“We launched the Facebook campaign about 10 days ago and we have been amazed at the levels of support we have gained.

“We have had 8,000 messages of support.

“The Government were talking about not putting the 1p extra on in April, but that is not nearly enough.

“Fuel price increases affect everything, from bread to the presents you buy your children because it is brought on the roads.

“To break it down for £10 of petrol £4.60 goes on fuel duty, £1.66 on VAT, £3.43 goes to the oil company and 31p to the petrol station.

“I think people would be happier if fuel goes below £1 per litre.

“But they have got to get round the table to talk about a sensible level of fuel price.”

Yesterday’s scenes were reminiscent of the 2000 fuel protest which started at Stanlow and spread through the country.

Brynle Williams, the Cilcain man who led that fuel protest, now a Conservative AM, also believes the Government have got it wrong over fuel prices.

Yesterday Mr Williams, the Welsh Assembly Government Shadow Minister for Rural Affairs, said: “As soon as you touch fuel, you touch everything.

“To keep inflation down you have to keep the cost of fuel down.

“They have got it wrong on this one.

“I am begging the Chancellor not to go ahead with the increase in April, we need a fair system for rural communities and for central users.”

So it begins :)

There are protests planned all over the country if you check facebook :) do various searches with fuel protest, fuel blockade etc :)

Im a member.. im hoping there is gonna be a go slow during rush hour on either the 62 or the 60..

Must remember too.. oil has hit $100 a barrel.. so expect more in increases..

But we're probably platting pish.. the goverments name is Conservative.. Their goal is to conserve..

oil is no where near a 100 dollars a barrel yet. Its been down from that since it hit 100 dollars in summer 09. Currently its at $89.49.

Respect to these guys, Just wish someone would arrange somthing for grangemouth in scotland.

oil is no where near a 100 dollars a barrel yet. Its been down from that since it hit 100 dollars in summer 09. Currently its at $89.49.

Respect to these guys, Just wish someone would arrange somthing for grangemouth in scotland.

Join the facebook group and ask the owner to get support for your area..

As for the misquote on the oil price.. your correct its $87 a barrel.. the forcast is $101 barrel.

Trouble is companies will start stock pilling now.. and probably have for quite some time..

These companies know if they hold onto it long enough the price will rocket higher.

The prediction is crude oil will double over the next 6 months..

We're now at £1.31 ltr around here :( don't think ill be buying another car (mines 2 year old).. wont be able to afford it.. unless alternatives are produced.

woohoo, ill be able to morph it up at milford haven :)

bring on the protests

the Tories haven't touched fuel duty yet since being in power

every duty rise is a result of darlings budget last march

3p increase on the pound in april, september & january [1p per month]

the only thing the Tories have done is whack vat up to 20%

get your facts right first

the Tories haven't touched fuel duty yet since being in power

every duty rise is a result of darlings budget last march

3p increase on the pound in april, september & january [1p per month]

the only thing the Tories have done is whack vat up to 20%

get your facts right first

your right, they have done absolutely NOTHING ! They should have and could have lowered the prices if they chose... but they are greedy, why would they lessen the feed to the trough they drink from after all.

oki ?

so from a political stand point your asking the current government to reduce fuel duty though there is far more other contributing factors like the state of our currency since the start of this recession

i think the bigger picture is our economy is in pieces - our GDP is worth 30% less than it was 3 years ago

we dont manufacture or export anything that will prop this country up

we have raised VAT to tackle public sector deficits

with fuel we are like any other EU country - the price of fuel has risen so much but so has the spending of eu countries paying for each others loans to improve infrastructure

yeh i garee fuel is too high but is it simply fuel duty that has whacked an extra 20p on a litre of fuel or simply our currency

oki ?

so from a political stand point your asking the current government to reduce fuel duty though there is far more other contributing factors like the state of our currency since the start of this recession

i think the bigger picture is our economy is in pieces - our GDP is worth 30% less than it was 3 years ago

we dont manufacture or export anything that will prop this country up

we have raised VAT to tackle public sector deficits

with fuel we are like any other EU country - the price of fuel has risen so much but so has the spending of eu countries paying for each others loans to improve infrastructure

yeh i garee fuel is too high but is it simply fuel duty that has whacked an extra 20p on a litre of fuel or simply our currency

So pricing people out of work because those on low paid jobs that have to commute at hours public transport does no run is right yea ? The duty on fuel as you say is FAR too high, the government has got too greedy and we the people are letting them !

They govern with permission from the people ! that permission does not extend as far as I am concerned to bleeding us all dry !

On another note, we have all pretty much had a pay freeze (if your lucky) or a cut in many cases, has anyone in government taken a pay cut ? or even a freeze ? I have not heard it if they have.

Back