SA4200 PSU fault

Spectre

Administrator
Staff member
Jnr Admin
Reaction score
Does anyone know what component causes this, it seems a common fault.

PSU doesn't start, not tested one as it is probably quicker to get another.

Thanks but it is the small Scientific Atlanta 4200DVB.

I think the recorder one is the 8300.

common cause of smps failing to start in general is faulty caps, what kind of psu controller is is? pace use an integrated chopper/controller in which case just change cos its always the blame. if it uses a seperate controller and chopper then check for 9v supply to chip (start up volts) and low value caps. common with the tv psu's of similar age.

Electrolytic caps looked OK TBC, no bulging or leakage.

The controller is a ICE2A280Z, £3 at Farnell. It looks like it has been running somewhat warm on the boards I have, maybe there are two different controllers as well.

It's quicker (and cheaper) for me to bin these, I've developed more of a tolerance to disposing of electronics goods of late.

ive got a sa4200 if you want it, just pay the postage.
wazok

Electrolytic caps looked OK TBC, no bulging or leakage.

The controller is a ICE2A280Z, £3 at Farnell. It looks like it has been running somewhat warm on the boards I have, maybe there are two different controllers as well.

It's quicker (and cheaper) for me to bin these, I've developed more of a tolerance to disposing of electronics goods of late.

I just repaired a 2 stage smps today mate, 33uf electrolytic dipped to 5uf no external faults whatsoever, allowed a 14v zenor to go s/c killing a bc847 smd transistor. all before it gets into the controller lol. Apparently there is a repair kit for this psu and it has the controller, the chopper and a couple resistors lol. none of which would have fixed the problem anyway. Sadly i need to reattach to the set over the weekend to make sure the second stage fires up - i am confident since i can find no further defects and the standby stage is working:)

I know very well what you mean about binning stuff lmao, i am off to farnells on sat morning if you want a few bits give me a shout and i will get them for you and post them on.

I know very well what you mean about binning stuff lmao, i am off to farnells on sat morning if you want a few bits give me a shout and i will get them for you and post them on.

Thanks very much but I think I will commit them to a mixed-metal skip.

SMPS - The scourge of modern consumer goods... Cheap magnetics squeaking, caps failing, boards cooking...

Thanks very much but I think I will commit them to a mixed-metal skip.

SMPS - The scourge of modern consumer goods... Cheap magnetics squeaking, caps failing, boards cooking...

You are so right lol, bring back shunt regulators with tons of get up and go and the odd open high value resistor :) fook the isolation hehehehehehe

Back