Rottweiler honoured for stopping Coventry sex attacker

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
A two-year-old Rottweiler has been recognised for his bravery after he saved a woman from a sex attacker.

The dog, named Jake, chased off the man as he molested a woman on Hearsall Common, Coventry, in July 2009.

Jake, who stood guard over the victim until police arrived, received his honour at an RSPCA event in Shrewsbury.

The attacker was convicted of serious sexual assault and jailed for four years.

Jake, who was honoured at the Prostar Stadium at an RSPCA conference on Saturday, was nominated by police for the bravery award and medallion after the incident.

"Dogs should never be judged simply by their breed, and Jake certainly proves this point”

Glenn Mayoll RSPCA Coventry Animal Centre

Det Con Clive Leftwich, from Coventry police station, said: "From our point of view Jake the Rottweiler stopped a serious sexual assault from becoming even worse."

Liz Maxted-Bluck, who rescued Jake from an RSPCA home in December 2008, said: "He is such a lovely natured dog and is very nosey so I think that was why he went to investigate that day when he heard the screams.

"After I called the police, he stayed alert and close to us like he was guarding us.

"It is brilliant that he is receiving this award from the RSPCA, I am really proud."

Glenn Mayoll, manager of RSPCA Coventry Animal Centre, said it was "immensely proud" of Jake.

He added: "This story just goes to show that a rescue dog can be a great addition to any family."

BBC News - Rottweiler honoured for stopping Coventry sex attacker

Wasn't even his owner, was a stranger. Clever dog :)

What this dog off its lead in a public place ?

its a good job he was

So if this story was about how a off the lead dog attacked an innocent person, that would be OK.

I am not knocking the dog, did a good thing in this instance but that dog should have been on a lead.

So if this story was about how a off the lead dog attacked an innocent person, that would be OK.

I am not knocking the dog, did a good thing in this instance but that dog should have been on a lead.
so if this story was about a poodle would anybody have said it should have been on a lead??

its about time a rottie got good press
they are not all attackers

mine would have done the same :)

I expect to see a link to this thread every couple of months or so when the dog discussion comes up. I wonder what it would have done if it ran up to find the attacker and victim in a seemingly equal sided fist fight. Dogs are smart and decisive but they have no reasoning capability. I agree that it should have been on a lead.

But what a fantastic story

good on the dog,wait for the pc dangerous dog brigade to jump the band wagon if the dog was not off its lead the poor lassie could of got a lot worse than she did..,,you can have thousands of its and buts ,at the end of the day the rottie saved the lassie give respect to the amazing creature when its due..:Clap::Clap:

so if this story was about a poodle would anybody have said it should have been on a lead??

its about time a rottie got good press
they are not all attackers

mine would have done the same :)

I have not bought the question of breed up, personally I think all dogs should be on leads unless muzzeled but that is not going to happen. I also realise that generally bad dogs = bad owners.

And yes I am wary of sending my kids to parties and play dates where there are dogs in the house. Fortunately dog owners with good sense don't leave dogs with kids alone.

good on the dog,wait for the pc dangerous dog brigade to jump the band wagon if the dog was not off its lead the poor lassie could of got a lot worse than she did..,,you can have thousands of its and buts ,at the end of the day the rottie saved the lassie give respect to the amazing creature when its due..:Clap::Clap:

couldn't agree more there mate, as an ex dog owner myself I am chuffed to see this rottie buck the stigma that the breed has suffered with.

I'm glad the dog helped and it's nice to see a positive Rottweiler story in the press, just a shame about the circumstances.

I guess everyone will have an opinion on 'dogs on a lead' but since the dog didn't have to be on one it's not really an issue.

It's nice to see this breed of dog get some recommendation for it's actions instead of the gutter press they usually receive due to the wrong up bringing or treatment by the owners.
Its just a pity it didn't bite the b*ll*cks or the perverted barsteward.

Dogs don't have to be on a lead they have to be under control
Here is a rough conversation I had about 7 years ago with a copper on the beat when my dog (cross staffy-lab) was running off a lead in a local field.

police "excuse me sir are you aware your dog has to be on a lead it's the law"
me "I think you will find that the dog has to be under control not on a lead"
police "doesn't look under control to me"
I whistled to get her attention and pointed at the floor next to my left leg, she run over and sat next to my left leg.
The policeman walked away and I had made my point.

I don't believe in bad breeds just bad owners, unfortunatly the bigger meaner looking dogs get a bad name because idiots get them for the wrong reason, this gives the dogs and the good owners a bad name.

I can't believe that a dog saves a woman and someone wants to know why the dogs off a lead, beggars belief, no wonder to countrys going the way it is.

Back