Roku 3 - and what can it play.

Ebro

Member ++
Reaction score
K, so I bought a R3 and am impressed with it's ease of use. There are so many channels to choose from now, including youtube, this is deffo a keeper for a while.

There are some issue with media playback though that need to be addressed. None support of .AVI files is a big downer for me. Yes, I now I can use Plex or Mymedia etc to stream and play the files, but that means I have to have a pc up and running as well as the Roku.
Have begun converting all my 2000+ .avi files over to mp4, which is such a slow process. Problem I have encountered now is that the Roku can't play audio on some of the converted mp4 files.
Anyone else come across this issue?

Ebro

To be honest, .avi has all but been replaced by .mkv and other container files.

Roku, like a lot of "cheap" media players, can't decode 5.1/7.1 (DTS, Dolby etc). It will passthrough over HDMI, if you have a receiver.

If you don't, you'll have to set the conversion software to change the audio to stereo whilst converting. But before you batch convert everything, run a sample to make sure it maintains audio sync.

Have been using "VideoContainerSwitcher" to convert to mp4 with some success, depending on audio encoding in the original. Will look to use Handbrake to change to Stereo when conversions don't work 1st time.

Back