Ripping photo's from a dvd slide ?

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone used any software that will let you rip photos from a slide show a friend of mine had a wedding and the photographer gave them a dvd that cost 300 quid and then said tell us what photos and it will be 60 pounds per photo ?

I think that is to much, i know they work hard to get to the wedding and take pictures they paid the photographer i think 1000 for the day and now he wants 60 quid a photo lol.

Anyway i said i would try and find out and this is the best place to ask in my opinion :)

So if anyone knows then please let me know so i can pass on the information

Regards
Mickie D

Put the disc in the PC and use the print screen key > paste into image program of choice (paintshop pro, photoshop, GIMP etc) > crop > save.

Software printscreen solutions may have a continous shapshot method that screenshots every few seconds.

[edit] try snagit (trial version via google or available from the usual places). Don't know if it has the continous mode but it does store more than one image in its clipboard, unlike print screen.

Last edited:
If you can see each image in full screen, can you not press prtsc and transfer to your four fav graphics program, i use Lviewpro pm me if you need it done i'm sure i could get you the pictures if all else fails,but i'm sure someone will find a better sollution.

also there is a progarame called Handbrake thats supposed to let you rip mpegs/pics from dvds,
but ive never used it so i dont know how.
h##p://handbrake.fr/?article=details.
some of the more advanced amongst us may help with it.

I've just checked nero showtime , if you pause the video you can capture the picture with the camera symbol., It's like print screen but you won't have any out of shot problems.

I would guess that although you can capture the image from your screen its probably a pretty low resolution

If you want to print it off at an acceptable quality you will probably want 300dpi

If your screen resolution is 1280x1024 that would give you a photo of 4x3

Of course this is just my WAG - try it and see

I would guess that although you can capture the image from your screen its probably a pretty low resolution

If you want to print it off at an acceptable quality you will probably want 300dpi

If the photographer knows what they're doing this is correct. The images will have been down sampled to around 72dpi. This means that the image looks fine on a TV or monitor, but prints from them would look blurred.

I've had a quick look at the UKCCS website. Unfortunatly the copyright is with the photographer or their employer and not the commisioning party unless stated in a contract. However, it may be worth double checking any writen contract they have with the photographer to check what the £1000 fee includes.

If the photographer knows what they're doing this is correct. The images will have been down sampled to around 72dpi. This means that the image looks fine on a TV or monitor, but prints from them would look blurred.

Would the prints not be watermarked also? Surely the photographer wouldn't risk the pictures being ripped off a DVD without some kind of protection/copyright?

Short of a private prosecution for copyright theft (copyright is a 'civil' matter in the UK), there isn't a fool proof method of copy protection of pictures. Not that I condone copyright theft. Saying that...

The DVD itself could be copy protected, e.g. Macrovision, but AnyDVD can get around alot of them.

The digital images could have been watermark either visiblly or invisibly. Depending on the size/type visible can be cropped or attempt a 'repair' in photo software. Invisible, digital 'watermarks' are usually for tracking images on the web, but a quick print screen gets around it.

But the standard is lower the dpi and provide images sized to fit on a standard def TV, for example 680x480.

As a side note prints generally come with little stickers on the back and/or printed on professional grade paper (occasionally even stating 'copyright' in the name the manufacturer gives the paper) meaning the duplication services by scanning from Asda, Tesco et al won't touch it. But you could scan yourself and take the images on disc/stick to the developers.

Don't care what it says in the contract. Whoever commissions a photograph owns the copyright.

However, there may be a clause whereby the photographer has sole selling rights for a period of time.

Back