Return Of The Death Penalty! Vote Now?

Should the death penalty be brought back?

• YES

Votes: 154 76.6%
  • NO

Votes: 47 23.4%

• Total voters
Seems a very loose question?!?! opinions will allways be strong on this subject but the thought of wrongful conviction can't be overturned here!!

agreed but that not an excuse not to bring it back, i could run someone over in my car does that mean i shouldnt drive?

there will be cases where without a shadow of doubt the person did it, these ones should hang.

ok if theres a shadow of a doubt let them rot, but i'll repeat myself there are cases that are 100% nailed, let them hang.

reading abck over all these pages a few people are still missing the point!

if someone is convicted and they are GUILTY, there is enough evidence to prove they are GUILTY! or even admit to being GUILTY! then the death penalty should count as there is no IFS, no BUTS, no circumstancial evidence! or even there being 'wrongly convicted!

and we arent talking about petty crimes! its serious crimes like murder! rape! pedophiles!

the idiots that commit petty crime should be put in isolation, have there asses kicked in to submission! or should be on the streets, scraping chewing gun, getting rid of graffiti on the walls, cleaning the streets. not having 5star treatment in prison!

if i ever caught a pedophile near my kids or find out they have been abused i'd do the job myself because this government hasnt got the balls to do it! make that sicko wish he was never born!

its time to clean up this country! the criminals are living life of luxury on our taxs! illegal immigrants are coming in claiming benefits which are our taxs! and its people like us who are paying the bill!

reading abck over all these pages a few people are still missing the point!

if someone is convicted and they are GUILTY, there is enough evidence to prove they are GUILTY! or even admit to being GUILTY! then the death penalty should count as there is no IFS, no BUTS, no circumstancial evidence! or even there being 'wrongly convicted!

and we arent talking about petty crimes! its serious crimes like murder! rape! pedophiles!

the idiots that commit petty crime should be put in isolation, have there asses kicked in to submission! or should be on the streets, scraping chewing gun, getting rid of graffiti on the walls, cleaning the streets. not having 5star treatment in prison!

if i ever caught a pedophile near my kids or find out they have been abused i'd do the job myself because this government hasnt got the balls to do it! make that sicko wish he was never born!

its time to clean up this country! the criminals are living life of luxury on our taxs! illegal immigrants are coming in claiming benefits which are our taxs! and its people like us who are paying the bill!

Couldnt have said it any better

I keep wanting to say stuff in this thread but constantly find myself lost for words (is this a first? :) )

For me the whole thing is sooooo complicated.

For one thing I don't believe in killing unless there is absolutely no alternative.

Also I think those who commit heinous crimes should have to live with them for the rest of their lives: not escape them through death. And yes, have the opportunity to realise what they have done and possibly repent - I don't mean this in any religious way.

I believe that the best society is a compassionate and merciful one and I think in order to develop those traits to the full we have to extend them towards those we hate as well as to those we love.

I don't know what made me how I am but when I see cruelty, oppression, crimes against the vunerable, I thank God that I am not able to behave like that or do those things.

What makes a criminal? Nature? Nurture?

Am I innocent? Can I feel justified to throw the first stone?

I'm sorry if this, or the way I've expressed it, annoys anyone: it's not a sermon, it's how I feel.

Last edited:
no need to be sorry hamba,i thought you worded your post well and i respect your opinion.
I keep wanting to say stuff in this thread but constantly find myself lost for words (is this a first? :) )

For one thing I don't believe in killing unless there is absolutely no alternative.

Also I think those who commit heinous crimes should have to live with them for the rest of their lives: not escape them through death. And yes, have the opportunity to realise what they have done and possibly repent - I don't mean this in any religious way.

I believe that the best society is a compassionate and merciful one and I think in order to develop those traits to the full we have to extend them towards those we hate as well as to those we love.

I don't know what made me how I am but when I see cruelty, oppression, crimes against the vunerable, I thank God that I am not able to behave like that or do those things.

I'm sorry if this, or the way I've expressed it, annoys anyone: it's not a sermon, it's how I feel.

hamba well said, thats your opinion and a valid one, you got your point across without forcing it on anyone or objecting to anyone else's views who do want it brought back.

dont be sorry mate, i cant see how this post could offend anyone!

you have some valid points hamba, but you forget we dont live in a tranquil or a civilised society! we need harsh rules to get rid of the crap and then start educating people to a way of thinking that you are talking about.

it is a sad fact there is alot of cruelty, opression and crimes against vulnerable, but ask yourself why? it is being allowed to happen!

our government are too busy paying £4000 a month on there mortgages or worrying about what super car to buy next, which country to invade next!and how they can increase taxs to pay for it all! there more worried about catching people speeding?

they want to protect pedophiles and there identity as they maybe targeted? they commited a crime! what protection do they deserve? what? they did it by accident! whoops? same with murderers and rapists those are heinous crimes and derserved to be punished to the fullest! and execution is a way of scaring any idiot who is even considering doing anything stupid! people commit crime as there is nothing that deters them!

today the attitude is its all ok u commited a crime heres a 5star prison cell! free cable tv, 12hour gym access, 3 nice hot meals aday and if your nice you can have a playstation in your own cell! wtf? is this how we deal with criminals? what sort of punishment is that/

today its the innocent that suffer! the hard working people who just want to leed a normal life, spend time with there kids,, other half and family!

Last edited:
I'm afraid that the evidence for capital punishment as a deterrent doesn't hold up.

As I see it, brutality breeds brutality. I don't think we should condone serious crime nor make life particularly easy for the criminals but I care about people, all people, and I don't think it does anything for me to throw away my compassion.

We need to protect ourselves, of course, but do we have to be brutal?

Ok, you could say those particular criminals are brutal but why should I let how they behave force me to be less than what I feel is truly human.

I'm afraid that the evidence for capital punishment as a deterrent doesn't hold up.

As I see it, brutality breeds brutality. I don't think we should condone serious crime nor make life particularly easy for the criminals but I care about people, all people, and I don't think it does anything for me to throw away my compassion.

We need to protect ourselves, of course, but do we have to be brutal?

Ok, you could say those particular criminals are brutal but why should I let how they behave force me to be less than what I feel is truly human.

i completely understand where your coming from but personally i dont class it as brutality, crime is on the increase, its costing us more every year, prisons are overcrowded! now gun crime is on the increase at an alarming rate!

brutality would be torturing them. as someone mentioned 2 wrongs dont make a right and thats spot on. but i think we need to act drastically. obviously you are man of morals and strong principles for that i have the utmost respect.

I have so far resisted the temptation to get involved in this debate as there will never be a winner with such an emotive subject. I dont believe you can put a price on anyones life, the its cheaper to kill them argument doesnt add up to me the cost of keeping people in prison is irrelevant. This is not a black and white issue. I could never support killing as i as see it as murder wether the state does it or an individual. You only have to look at the states it clearly hasent been a deterent there. as Hamba said brutality breeds brutality.

The increase in violent crime needs to be adressed at source with better education and prospects for our children and more visable policing. Getting people out of poverty providing adequate housing and effective support to steer children and young adults away from crime.

When i read news paper reports of peadophiles and rapists i am outraged, my instinct is to want to hang them get revenge but i also know that it would be wrong my concience wouldnt let me this is what seperates me from them, at least thats what i believe.

Innocent

In recent years a lot of people have been convicted of serious crimes and later have been found innocent.

The most famous would be the Birmingham 6 and the Guilford 4.
There was a call for those people to be given the death sentance at their time of conviction. But later it was found that the evidence was flawed and rigged by the police to ease public opinion, while the real culprits got away.
If the death sentance had been legal at the time, innocent people would have been executed.

There have been many other less well known cases that wew will not have heard of.
What about that Brazilian Guy who was shot by the police in London a few years ago.

I do believe in a severe punishment for criminals, for crime is rampant at the moment.
The present state of affairs doesn't seem to be working, as these criminals have no fear of the laws of the state. There seem to be no deterrent at the moment.

I for one believe that a convicted murderer - rapist - child sex offender should die by execution.
Give them 5 years in prison - time allowed for appeals etc to prove their innocence & if they cannot provide evidence beyond reasonable doubt after that time ( Kill The B******S)
To be honest with all the DNA evidence collated in todays society I think I am being very fair to the scum - But I would like the judge who sentences them to let them know that they are on Death Row.

What are your opinions?

not just the death penalty,bring the stocks back for all muggers out there:Kickassro

The death sentance is an easy way out for the offender, spending a lifetime in prison "should" be worse, but after hearing about how nice prisons are today.... not to sure. They should actually make life, life!!! and make prisons less enjoyable.

In recent years a lot of people have been convicted of serious crimes and later have been found innocent.

The most famous would be the Birmingham 6 and the Guilford 4.
There was a call for those people to be given the death sentence at their time of conviction. But later it was found that the evidence was flawed and rigged by the police to ease public opinion, while the real culprits got away.
If the death sentence had been legal at the time, innocent people would have been executed.

lets not forget that they were 'terrorists' !!

: shocked2

lets not forget that they were 'terrorists' !!

: shocked2

Were they?......and even if they were, would that have made wrongful conviction ok? I think you need to explain that a bit more.

i would be forced to agree with simon.

The problem with jail overcrouding would be solved very quickly and the cost of jails is just scandelous.

it costs over £100,000 per year to keep a prisoner in a british jail and we cant even ask them to mop out their cell?

they keep preaching about prisoners have human rights...

in my opionion, they gave up their rights as a human being the day they comitted a crime and took the rights of their victim away.

(i know i'm going to get a few replies saying that not all crimes have a victim blah blah but thats why we have different classes of crimes. that would have to be factored in)

i would be forced to agree with simon.

The problem with jail overcrouding would be solved very quickly and the cost of jails is just scandelous.

it costs over £100,000 per year to keep a prisoner in a british jail and we cant even ask them to mop out their cell?

they keep preaching about prisoners have human rights...

in my opionion, they gave up their rights as a human being the day they comitted a crime and took the rights of their victim away.

(i know i'm going to get a few replies saying that not all crimes have a victim blah blah but thats why we have different classes of crimes. that would have to be factored in)

great post I agree completely with you

Back