!!!!! Restore 250 To Origional Firmware !!!!!

OK Here! Liverpool (North) if you don't force TFTP filename,
And followed the Sticky "### Protecting your 250 ###"

Infinites working for me in Luton with a forced config, telnet disabled and user name / password changed

Infinites working for me in Luton with a forced config, telnet disabled and user name / password changed
Here in Liverpool VM are using Dynamic Configuration for the TFTP filename
Instead of "cm-20480-768" we are getting "GFtyroN86Ginf"
Gobbledegook.........

Last edited:
Does anyone know which areas have been hit with dynamic configuration? And can I find this out myself when looking at the tftip address when sniffing for macs?

Also, how can i find out which modems are issued in my area?

If your area's been hit with it you will either get garbled config names or none at all when sniffing.

Also the 250's was rolled out everywhere, some lucky TW users got SB's ;)

:)

i want to give this a go, im not getting p option. when i try to load SoftJTAG app though im getting windows error. good start eh or am i missing something

i want to give this a go, im not getting p option. when i try to load SoftJTAG app though im getting windows error. good start eh or am i missing something

I had the same problem, I installed what monkey provided, the program managed to start up. Connected to the modem via serial, said the modem was connected...didn't get the option to click on 'WRITE BOOTLOADER' ..tried both softjatg programs provided on this thread. Its got the original firmware on it, well i used adams method in the sticky, thought the mac went since the ready light won't become solid. Tried hyperterminal, there was no option to hit p. How on earth do i go about changing the mac now? Driving me mad. :(..hence posting at this time of day.

Sounds like you've taken the new update 1rambo :(

You'll have to JTAG the modem now, or lift the chip and reprogram it i'm afraid.....

Sounds like you've taken the new update 1rambo :(

You'll have to JTAG the modem now, or lift the chip and reprogram it i'm afraid.....
Just plugged the modem in. It's working again. Haven't checked if the 'p' option is back, i'm guessing it hasn't. So once the mac address goes i'm going to have to lift the chip? If thats the case, isn't the infinite firmware better to have since all you have to do is change the login details for the modem.

Not necesarily as the Infinite modems report on the stream as Infinite's and are easy to find. In most area's they don't even work anymore which is why this new hack was developed.

New ways to JTAG the 250's are being worked on so hopefully they will be out before Virmin Media hit again.

I've been using a 250 this way since I released how to do it as have a few of my mates with no problems at all ;)

tried those monkey, no joy, must have new update on it. anyone fancy reprograming a chip :-(

sorry to go off topc but where can i get a big version of the pic in ur sig dictap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post, I will be attempting this shortly and reporting my results to the forum.

Trust me, it works ;)

Be warned that your FW will update to the latest N*L that is locked and you won't be able to change your MAC IF/WHEN you get knocked off.

mines just gone, no p option coming up. Im using stealth, adams method. Do I need to restore bootloader? Also apart from softJTAG do I need anything, ie harware/adapters or cables other than the MAX232 to JTAG the modem?

If your using stealth then you won't have a bootloader and will need to restore it ;)

Just attach your MAX cable as usual and use SoftJTAG over the com port.

RE: Dynamic configs.

If my logic serves me, surely we can just do a sniff on the local ubr, get some garbled config names. Force them until we get 20 meg. I do appreciate that it may change day to day but for those of us who are doing modems for ourselves its no REAL issue. Its only if your a trader or have lots of modems done for family that your gonna have worries. Then again if hackware is used then surely we can just text our contacts with the new config name and get them to type it into HTTP.

If your using stealth then you won't have a bootloader and will need to restore it ;)

Just attach your MAX cable as usual and use SoftJTAG over the com port.

i've bricked two now doing this m8, do you change any settings in softjtag to do it properly? such as which byte to start at

Back