Resolved my issue but created another!

Dazmeister

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

After some advice on here I went out and bought some attenuators but it turns out I needed a booster to get my missing channels. No big deal as the attenuators are only coppers.
Anyhoo, I'm really chuffed I finally got to the bottom of it, as after a bit of tweaking with one of these I can now get my missing channels (MTV, Bravo, Challenge and Discovery). In doing so though, the box locks up frequently now which it rarely did before.
Is this a trade off having to hike the signal strength up, or should I have bought the VSA-608C booster that Sherlock speaks of.
Is their anything else I can do to stop this locking up happening?

As well as the gain control, this box has a Slope Control, whats this for?

Thanks in advance.

Well done and unlocky m8!

Sounds like the stonger signal is causing the problems to me. I guess you've tried altering the gain down as far it can go, without loosing the channels again, to see if it stops freezing?

Well done and unlocky m8!

Sounds like the stonger signal is causing the problems to me. I guess you've tried altering the gain down as far it can go, without loosing the channels again, to see if it stops freezing?

Yeh I think you're right,
I've had a situation where all that was missing was Discovery and as I thought I was onto a winner , I tweaked the gain just a 1/2 turn more to get these and done another scan. Could try turning 1/4 turn back. Dunno how sensitive these things are.
I could have left it at finding MTV which is what I was mainly after but you know when you're getting somewhere you just think...yer, one more turn and I can get the lot. :fishpair:
One thing I noticed, if I turned the booster too far on a new working channel (e.g. Trouble) the SNR would drop from 90-91% down to 67% and I would have to wind it back a bit and re-tune.

Any ideas what the slope control does? Didnt wanna fiddle now its almost their.

No idea what the slope control is for m8.

Sometimes a strong signal can have the same effects as a low signal. It's finding that happy medium.

Whatever this means lol...

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Automatic Slope Control (ASC)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Circuitry which permits amplifier response compensation for varying slope (tilt) at its input.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Obviously yours isn't automatic but you get the idea.
[/FONT]

Slope control is for anyone that lives on a hill...... LOL

Back