Request E-Book reader suggestions

The kindle only need the MOBI file. The other files wont bother the kindle they just take up space.

In calibre at the side of the "save to disc" button is a dropdown selector, the last option at the bottom is "save single format to disc" this will ask you which format you want to save, that way it can just save the MOBI format etc... without the need for a epub.

thanks for that info will remember that

Calibre does look good but does seem to cause a few issues with Windows 7 when its running .... but nothing too serious

I use hamstersoft ebook converter if I need to then just drag and drop the MIBI files onto the kindle.

Use the Kindle keyboard myself & no problem finding .mobi books.

thanks for everyone's help

ended up ordering both in the end (wife decided she liked the tab 2)

now have questions regarding kindle paperwhite

it appears I cannot create Collections as it is greyed out and appears I have to register Kindle before that becomes available.

I have heard that by registering you end up with ads or recommended books etc which I do not want.

also, have read that by registering it stores the books on the Kindle on Amazon's cloud (or something) but I do not want them to do that

finally, when you register and create collections with authors and their ebooks and then disable the Wi-Fi those books disappear from Kindle

No idea if all the above are true but am concerned it may be

What I would like to do is create collections and in that have folders of authors and in those folders place the ebooks with no ads or recommendations etc .. just so my mum doesn't get confused and end up reading/paying for a book that is not what have put on there

Hope the above makes sense ??

Any help appreciated

I cannot say that this is the case for newer kindles but by registering it does not give me ads, it just linked my amazon account with my kindle which allows me to buy books should I want to and also allows me to send any ebooks or other stuff to the kindle using the kindle email address.

Also none of the books I have placed on my kindle have ever been uploaded to the cloud, I think this only applies to books you buy.

Collections does not create folders or organize your books in any way, it just organizes the list of books that you see on your device, not the physical ebook files. Nothing dissapears when you turn off the wi-fi.

The kindle just sees ebook files, regardless of what ever folder you put them in physically, so you just get one big list on your device.

again this is the case with my Kindle 3 (kindle with keyboard) and also my mother-in-laws kindle 4, so it's probably the same with the kindle paperwhite.

I cannot say that this is the case for newer kindles but by registering it does not give me ads, it just linked my amazon account with my kindle which allows me to buy books should I want to and also allows me to send any ebooks or other stuff to the kindle using the kindle email address.

Also none of the books I have placed on my kindle have ever been uploaded to the cloud, I think this only applies to books you buy.

Collections does not create folders or organize your books in any way, it just organizes the list of books that you see on your device, not the physical ebook files. Nothing dissapears when you turn off the wi-fi.

The kindle just sees ebook files, regardless of what ever folder you put them in physically, so you just get one big list on your device.

again this is the case with my Kindle 3 (kindle with keyboard) and also my mother-in-laws kindle 4, so it's probably the same with the kindle paperwhite.

Same with paperwhite Captin.
HH.

well .. registered and get quite a few 'We Suggest' books at bottom ... which do not want ... how do I get rid of them ?

Heres answer
Can I remove the "We Suggest" books from the bottom of the home screen?

Yes you can and I have. You only get that if your Kindle can connect to the Kindle store automatically. Two options. 1) Turn off wifi. 2)Set Access to Kindle Store to "Off". Settings -- Device Options -- Parental Controls -- Kindle Store : Access to Kindle Store

Heres answer
Can I remove the "We Suggest" books from the bottom of the home screen?

Yes you can and I have. You only get that if your Kindle can connect to the Kindle store automatically. Two options. 1) Turn off wifi. 2)Set Access to Kindle Store to "Off". Settings -- Device Options -- Parental Controls -- Kindle Store : Access to Kindle Store

Wi-fi was off ... seems to store on kindle somewhere ?

Will try your 2nd suggestion

ADDED: Thank you, thank you, thank you ... 2nd option worked

Last edited:
Back