Request E-Book reader suggestions

I agree with HH. If the ebooks are not available already in kindle format than there are quite a few tools to convert them from other formats.

Also there are other e-ink based readers that use other formats, kobo, nook etc...

Having used the kindle paperwhite (I want one as I have the kindle 3) the backlit screen is much easier on the eyes than an LCD screen for reading in the dark or semi light.

It does this on the fly as it uploads from your pc to the device.

Is this via USB or wireless .. if wireless then have a problem as I am in London and mum in Southend

Having used the kindle paperwhite (I want one as I have the kindle 3) the backlit screen is much easier on the eyes than an LCD screen for reading in the dark or semi light.

So the paperwhite is better ??

if using Calibre then its usb, there are ways to get content via wifi but its not necessary.

if using Calibre then its usb, there are ways to get content via wifi but its not necessary.

but kindle doesn't have usb ... does it ?

if not then has to be via wi fi ... unless am missing something very obvious (and the way things are going today that is highly possible)

Stick Calibre (free) on the computer you transfer the ebooks from & it'll convert them from whichever format they're in to a suitable format for your reader. Most of the authors you listed are readily available.
I'm a big believer in using a dedicated ebook reader for reading books, I used to use an Archos tablet but found my eyes getting strained. Use a kindle now & no problem.
HH.

A better solution is to get wappwolf and dropbox on your computer and it will auto convert to any format from any format and send it to the kindle by wifi you drop the ebook into your drop box folder and after setting wappwolf up it transfers it to the kindle automaticaly

The kindle can be connected to a PC via USB, you can then copy the ebooks to it in several ways, with or without software.

The kindle will connect to your wireless router and you can download ebooks to it also in a few different ways. amazon call this whispernet.

When you register your kindle you get a special kindle email address. If you send kindle format ebooks to that email address they will be downloaded to the kindle whenever it connects to your wireless or any wireless it can access. If you send other formats to that email address amazon will convert them to kindle format for you.

You can download a windows app called "Send to kindle" which will allow you to right alick on any document, ebook pdf etc... and you can send it to your kindle, again over wireless, and it will be formatted to kindle format.

The "Send to kindle" app also has a firefox addon that will allow you to grab any webpage and send directly to your kindle.

Wow, didn't realise kindle had usb (not seen it mentioned in any writeup I have read).

Would have to use usb as mum doesn't have pc .. so no pc means no wi-fi

idea is I take a few to her on a usb stick to load onto the kindle (assuming that can be done) then I can bring the usb stick back ready to put more on when I next visit.

Thats the plan ... if it works is another matter ?

The kindle doesn't have a host USB port, IE you can't plug a USB stick into it to transfer books. It would have to be plugged into a pc or laptop.

The kindle can be connected to a PC via USB, you can then copy the ebooks to it in several ways, with or without software.

The kindle will connect to your wireless router and you can download ebooks to it also in a few different ways. amazon call this whispernet.

When you register your kindle you get a special kindle email address. If you send kindle format ebooks to that email address they will be downloaded to the kindle whenever it connects to your wireless or any wireless it can access. If you send other formats to that email address amazon will convert them to kindle format for you.

You can download a windows app called "Send to kindle" which will allow you to right alick on any document, ebook pdf etc... and you can send it to your kindle, again over wireless, and it will be formatted to kindle format.

The "Send to kindle" app also has a firefox addon that will allow you to grab any webpage and send directly to your kindle.

well now just shows cus that wasn't available when i was searching thanks for the info
I already had dropbox installed which is how I got to know about wappwolf

Last edited:
The kindle doesn't have a host USB port, IE you can't plug a USB stick into it to transfer books. It would have to be plugged into a pc or laptop.

darn .. thought was too easy ... looks like kindle is out of the running then (can't cary my pc to my mum's everytime I visit ... lol)

not sure if I read somewhere that seems the kindle places adverts and have to pay to have them removed (but assume that is if you are connected to internet) ?

looks like have to be the Nook GlowLight then (at least that has a card reader so can transfer the books to that and put that in when visiting mum ?

Here's an idea. Buy the kindle/nook & get it sent to your address if you ain't physically picking it up yourself. You put the books on it for your mum. Stick 500 books on it & worry about it again in 2 years (if she's a voracious reader) or 20 years (The rise of e-reading | Pew Internet Libraries)
Good luck with whatever you decide.
HH.

If you get wispernet/3G version then you don't need wifi or PC connectivity. As mentioned you basically send the books to your special amazon account and they will automatically appear for download on the kindle pretty much anywhere in the world.

Kindle Paperwhite - Touch Screen Ereader with Built-In Light

Kindle Paperwhite 3G

Kindle Paperwhite 3G is our easiest-to-use, most-convenient Kindle because there is no wireless setup--you are ready to shop, download, and read right out of the box. Kindle Paperwhite 3G uses the same wireless signals as mobile phones, so you don't need to worry about Wi-Fi connections, passwords or internet charges. Unlike mobile phones, with Kindle Paperwhite 3G there are no monthly fees or commitments - Amazon pays for Kindle Paperwhite 3G's wireless connectivity. Your Kindle may use wireless connectivity to make other services available, such as wireless delivery of personal documents. For more information, see Wireless Terms and Conditions

Kindle Paperwhite 3G lets you download books anytime, anywhere in our 3G coverage area, whether you're relaxing on a beach, halfway through a hike, or waiting on the tarmac. Check 3G coverage area

but kindle doesn't have usb ... does it ?

wow i didnt think anybody would assume it would be a host usb, the kindle is a slave usb device like a printer, camera, mobile phone etc its a two way port but its not the control.

as said by another poster the amount of books you can load is huge. i know its more cost but an old laptop would do the trick calibre will run on xp. i think you will have the same problem with any device.

wow i didnt think anybody would assume it would be a host usb, the kindle is a slave usb device like a printer, camera, mobile phone etc its a two way port but its not the control.

only reason I mentioned about the kindle not having a usb is because of following:

am thinking of either kindle or the galaxy tab 2 (at least for the extra money for the tab can do more than just read books and can read carious formats of books without converting them to kindle format)

I know the galaxy tab will weigh more than kindle but am now wondering if can read from tab in bright sunlight or dark or whatever that the kindle appears to work ok in ?

The tab 2 is crap in bright light, it has a shiny glass screen and reflects evey bit of the light. Also the battery doesnt last any where near the kindle. Alot of people complain that reading books on any tablet (with an LCD screen) gives them eye strain and headaches. An e-ink screen is much better. Even the kindle fire and HD are crap when compared, as they are basically just android tablets.

As far as conversion is concerned, there is no need, 99.9% of all ebooks are available in ether version, MOBI (AZW or PRC too) for the kindle and epub for other devices. So you just download the format you need without needeing to convert anything. The only time you need to convert anything is if it's a PDF (the kindle can read these too) or DOC, DOCX (microsoft word) but then you would need to convert them for a tab depending on what program you are using to read with.

Personally given the situation you need the reader for I would still go with the kindle. The tab 2 weighs a lot and to hold it for reading is near impossible to do for long periods, it puts a lot of strain on the wrists. The shape and aspect of the screen is more for watching films etc... Plus the battery life would mean charging the tab 2 a lot more.

Yes the tab 2 has a SD card slot for filling it up with ebooks, but even the new kindle's can fit over 1000 books on (the older kindles can fit over 3000 books on, but amazon saw fit to half the memory (and battery) on the new models).

If you want something you can just send books to from your house without even messing with ISB or whatever, then get a kindle with 3g. They cost more but it's free to use after that and you can just send ebooks from your PC to the kindle's email address and the kindle will download the ebook automatically.

go to pc world and have a look there if you have one near (crap shop imho but they do have everything out on display) the weight issue is only a problem if your Mum is frail, if she has been reading books for 60 years and is ok with real books then a tablet will be ok.

the issue with bright light again is down to your Mum if she likes to sit out in the garden to read then nothing else considered a kindle will be better.

also if your Mum doesn't have a computer then a kindle will be much easier to explain and for her to use than a tablet, you don't want to buy an all singing and all dancing tablet to find it just sits on the night stand as she is to scared to use it when you are not there. (been there with my old mum and tech)

I got to agree with the orders. I would stear clear of a tablet unless that is really what she wants. The kindle is pretty much fool proof. It does one job and it does it well. The tablet is complex, prone to crashes, needs updating, etc, etc. Also as I have mentioned before, virtually useless in direct sunlight, lower battery life, harder on the eyes for extended reading and heavier.

further question

Have used Calibre to convert epub to mobi (thanks to all who suggested it).

It seems when save to disc it creates .epub, .mobi, .opf files as well as .jpg

Apart from the .mobi file do I need to add any of the other files (no idea if kindle can see a .jpg file or what the .opf file is or if it needs to be on the kindle as well)

Back