Replacing old light bulbs with LED bayonet fit

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Worked out we are using a hell of a lot wattage with these normal bulbs! For example in the landing we have a light which has 12 bayonet candle bulbs which are 25w each thats 350w there.

Living room has 9 normal bayonet bulbs which are 40w each I think, so thats another 360w

Dining room 10 bayonet candle bulbs 25w each again so thats another 250w

Thats almost 1000w in 3 rooms and these LED bulbs I have seen are like 3w each which is apprantly the equivalent of 25w? So should I upgrade even though the bulbs cost quite a bit or just stick to normal bulbs for as long as possible.

Only thing about the LED ones I think they are non-dimmable which I need for the living room.

personally i would replace the lot ...

but what you could do is relace them with led when the old bulbs blow ....

Whats the cheapest these bulbs can be picked up? I need about 32 of the candle type bulbs!

We recently replaced all our spot lights for LED lights.

Each spot was using 50W now down to 2-3W

Kitchen has 48LED spots White 4-6W per spot
Hallway has 21LED spots White 2W per spot
Everywhere else is 21LED Warm White.

48 * 50W spots 2400W

Now with LED's its

6 LEDS at say 4W = 24
42 LEDS at 2W = 84
=108w

Down from 2400w to 108w. Not bad in a day’s work plus a bit of neck ache looking at the ceiling all day :)

P.S If you are buying LEDS you really don't need anything above 48LED's

We recently replaced all our spot lights for LED lights.

Each spot was using 50W now down to 2-3W

Kitchen has 48LED spots White 4-6W per spot
Hallway has 21LED spots White 2W per spot
Everywhere else is 21LED Warm White.

48 * 50W spots 2400W

Now with LED's its

6 LEDS at say 4W = 24
42 LEDS at 2W = 84
=108w

Down from 2400w to 108w. Not bad in a day’s work plus a bit of neck ache looking at the ceiling all day :)

P.S If you are buying LEDS you really don't need anything above 48LED's

Do you have planes trying to land on your roof by any chance ? ;-)

Surely you dont have those on all evening ?

Do you have planes trying to land on your roof by any chance ? ;-)

Surely you dont have those on all evening ?

Ha ha no fortunately we are not in a flight path.

Each room only has 6 spots apart from hallway. Usually we'll have the hallway,kitchen,living room maybe a bedroom.

So Kitchen is about 24w
Hallway as they are only the 21LED spots its roughly 14w
And living room is about 12W

So maybe 50w total and I usually turn living room off when watching TV :)

Not bad considering one standard spot before was 50W

The best advice I can give is if considering use warm white for the bedrooms as white is very bright and can have a bluish tinge :) But white is ideal in hallway/Kitchen/bathrooms

Although everybody has personal preferences

Must of cost you a fair few bob! I bought a load of 60 LED GU10 bulbs to replace the ones in my Kitchen and Bathroom only to realise they are MR16 doh! I was going to put them in my room room but because I have a remote dimmer they wont work! So double Doh!

Only 3 ended up in the kitchen but the 60LED GU10 are very close to the standard 50w GU10 just need to correct fitting for the rest...

Might get dimmable LED GU10s for my room but they about £20 each x 4 is a lot for bulbs!

Must of cost you a fair few bob! I bought a load of 60 LED GU10 bulbs to replace the ones in my Kitchen and Bathroom only to realise they are MR16 doh! I was going to put them in my room room but because I have a remote dimmer they wont work! So double Doh!

Only 3 ended up in the kitchen but the 60LED GU10 are very close to the standard 50w GU10 just need to correct fitting for the rest...

Might get dimmable LED GU10s for my room but they about £20 each x 4 is a lot for bulbs!

£200 max it was about a year ago think they were 10 * 21 LED for £25-30 on ebay and the 48LEDs were a little more.

Not bad considering I had 5 50W spots blow different times knocking the RCD as well in about 4 weeks. The 50W spots came with the spot lights still got a load in the cuboard never to be used again lol.

£200 max it was about a year ago think they were 10 * 21 LED for £25-30 on ebay and the 48LEDs were a little more.

Not bad considering I had 5 50W spots blow different times knocking the RCD as well in about 4 weeks. The 50W spots came with the spot lights still got a load in the cuboard never to be used again lol.

Will have a look on ebay when I get a chance, what I want to replace is all the candle bulbs!

Back