remotely access my work pc?

hotwire

Inactive User
Reaction score
ok guys need help here urgently. i have installed four cameras at my shop and have internet access there and also the pc is on all the time for the cameras to record to hard drive. want i want to do is watch the cameras from my home internet connection. i have a programme called remote module but it only lets me watch the cameras which are on the same network. not from home. is it possible to do what i am trying. any help much appreciated guys. thanks in advance.

u can use msn to do this and u can controll ur work pc with it 2.

its easy 2 so just send out a request for remote assist from ur work pc and accept with ure home pc. then thats it ur sorted.

of course u have 2 stay connected 2 msn for the duration cos 1nce u sign off u wont be able 2 get it back untill u access ur work pc.

I would enable remote desktop on the work pc and then just connect up as and when from remote desktop at home. For added security set up a vpn via your routers.

But...can you sign into MSN on two PCs using the same account? I know you can't do this using Yahoo! Messenger...it says it can't log you in because you are logged in on another computer. If MSN is the same, you will have to create another user id/email address.

use RAdmin (Remote Admin) by Famatech
its the best, most secure remote administration tool imo.
just install the server on your works pc and you can connect from home no probs
you get fully controllable remote desktop, telnet, file transfer, shutdown & reboot etc...
its the business :)

thanks guys for all your replies.have got it sorted i think. just installed logmein on my work pc. so will go home and try from there if i can log in to my work pc and will let u guys know how i get on.

ok guys logmein works great butits very slow and the page keeps flicking.

revans3 is there any other way to do this and also can u tell me how to set up remote desktop connection pls.

I see RAdmin is quite pricey. I would love to know how to use remote desktop over internet. I use it loads over network.

remote desktop is a security risk, i would advise against using it esp for a work pc.
pm me if you want a RAdmin "trial" :)

Last edited:
If you want to use remote desktop :

Right click on my computer and choose properties

Click on the remote tab and then enable the allow users to connect remotely to this computer box.

Once youve done that you will need to use your work router to translate port 3389 to the ip address of your work pc. You then connect to your work ip router using remote desktop from your xp machine

Bear in mind that if anyone on the net connects to your ip using remote desktop they will be able to access this as you can. I would recommend that you set up a vpn.

FEAR - why do you think remote desktop is a security risk?

crackle999 said:
guys you ever heard of vnc?

VNC is a great little app, and what's better...it's free :proud:

Very little configuring, easy to use, and gives you as much control over the client PC as the person actually sitting at it.
You can also password protect it for added security.

Last edited:
What do you mean by hacked? I thought it was auto encryted?

it is encrypted but its weak, you can make it more secure by running an ssh server and connecting the remote desktop session through an ssh tunnel but its a lot of unneccessary hassle innit
RAdmin is the easiest and safest way to go imo
i dont know of anybody ever managing to hack a secured RAdmin server
there are skiddies using scanners that scan for null sessions on the default radmin port but if your stupid enough to run it on the default port without a pass then you deserve to be hacked :proud:
and brute forcing it is impossible afaik

Seedy_r0m said:
VNC is a great little app, and what's better...it's free :proud:

Very little configuring, easy to use, and gives you as much control over the client PC as the person actually sitting at it.
You can also password protect it for added security.

yeah... java based i think. what do you think of the security though?

I take it i need to set up a VPN to connect two computers (one at work and one at home via the internet) both running RAdmin

Back