Remember Maggie

Mark Thatcher was a mercenary and tried to stage a coup in Guinea I think it was. He got fined for that I think.

In my opinion she set this country back at least 30 years.

She sold off what was owned by the many to the few, and started the rot of rampant, selfish capitalism that was carried on by her spiritual son, Tony Blair.

just wish the blinkered would wake up

then again she probably bought them over

rot in hell maggie

R.I.P. Britain lol

rot in hell maggie

R.I.P. Britain lol

In my case its not about being blinkered,
I didn't like her policies but she deserves some respect in passing

In my opinion she set this country back at least 30 years.

She sold off what was owned by the many to the few, and started the rot of rampant, selfish capitalism that was carried on by her spiritual son, Tony Blair.

She took th UK from being the lame duck of Europe to one of the leaders.
She got rid of the lose making run down government owned infrastructure and privatised the lot, and she curbed the unions who were dragging this country backwards with communist leaders like Arthur Scargill.
Dragged it back 30 years what a laugh.

rot in hell maggie

R.I.P. Britain lol

Blinkered from what ? You have your experiences, I have mine. Does that make your views any more valid then mine ?

Love her or loathe her as Wiz says she deserves some respect in passing.
Personally, I loathed the woman. Yes, she gave people in council housing the chance to buy their property but she made it too easy for this to be abused by letting people buy those houses after only 3 years of tenancy which is still being allowed and will be being grossly abused in the next couple of years by those migrants (particularly from the EU) who have been afforded council housing in priority to Britons who were on the list before them. The money raised from these sales was squandered instead of being used to build more social housing and thus providing more employment.
She sold off many of the Nationalised Industries, which are now making huge profits mainly for foreign companies. Restructuring instead of selling would have provide the government with ongoing income instead of just making a quick buck.
She killed off Unions as a viable representative of the working man, yes the Unions at the time needed reigning in and a compromise was required but Maggie's only thought was to crush them into the ground. Her actions to do this were to close down the Steel and Mining Industries, which has resulted in a huge loss of employment (thus a huge loss of tax payments) and the need to purchase those commodities from abroad, which initially was cheaper but now costs us a fortune. It also killed off the Car Manufacturing Industry, some may argue that quality was also a factor but that arguement can be countered by the fact that Japanese Car Companies that have Assembly Sites here report them as being the best quality World Wide and one of the most cost effective.
The Huge numbers of unemployed in this country are down mainly to these actions taken by Maggie Thatcher and is her legacy to us.
One thing that did enamour Maggie Thatcher to the Nation was standing up to Argentina and the resulting Falklands Conflict, which to be fair is something that appeals to Britain as we have always been a warring, fighting Nation, it is something in our blood. I do not wish to go into the intricate political machinations of this but would like to highlight that warnings of Argentine Troops landing on the surrounding islands had been sent many months before and even the filmcrew of the "Survival" programme who were there at the time filming penguins had also reported this occuring and subsequently had to be "rescued" from St Andrew's Bay on South Georgia.
We had all been warned about the type of person Maggie Thatcher was in 1971 when she was the Education Secretary under Ted Heath's tenure, when she became "Maggie Thatcher the Milk Snatcher" by abolishing free milk for school children aged 7 to 11. An action that saved minimal amounts but caused outrage and of course she was also responsible in this role, for the closure of Grammer Schools........................perhaps the start of the "dumbing down" of the working class.

Evil Bitch, My Grandad will be celebrating after she destroyed his livelihood and that of two hundred thousand others!

Love her or loathe her as Wiz says she deserves some respect in passing.
Personally, I loathed the woman. Yes, she gave people in council housing the chance to buy their property but she made it too easy for this to be abused by letting people buy those houses after only 3 years of tenancy which is still being allowed and will be being grossly abused in the next couple of years by those migrants (particularly from the EU) who have been afforded council housing in priority to Britons who were on the list before them. The money raised from these sales was squandered instead of being used to build more social housing and thus providing more employment.
The money was given to local government, not back to national government. It was down to the local council what they did with the money.

She sold off many of the Nationalised Industries, which are now making huge profits mainly for foreign companies. Restructuring instead of selling would have provide the government with ongoing income instead of just making a quick buck.
Companies which are only making money because of the improvements in efficiency which would never have happened if the unions still had control.

She killed off Unions as a viable representative of the working man, yes the Unions at the time needed reigning in and a compromise was required but Maggie's only thought was to crush them into the ground.
Sorta agree with that, there could have been a better compromise but it takes two to tango and the unions weren't interested in negotiating either.

Her actions to do this were to close down the Steel and Mining Industries, which has resulted in a huge loss of employment (thus a huge loss of tax payments) and the need to purchase those commodities from abroad, which initially was cheaper but now costs us a fortune.
Anybody is welcome to re-open those industries, I wonder why they don't ? As for coal, yes its expensive to import but still cheaper then domestically produced, however I believe there is some interested in expanding surface mining in the UK,

UK miners hit by cheap coal, dear diesel despite demand jump | Reuters

It also killed off the Car Manufacturing Industry, some may argue that quality was also a factor but that arguement can be countered by the fact that Japanese Car Companies that have Assembly Sites here report them as being the best quality World Wide and one of the most cost effective.
Having worked in the car industry, car production in the UK in the 70's was a joke. Why do you think foreign produced cars quickly outsold UK produced ones ?

The Huge numbers of unemployed in this country are down mainly to these actions taken by Maggie Thatcher and is her legacy to us.
Wake up and smell the roses, nobody wanted to buy British goods, crap quality and high prices. UK was no longer a industrial superpower, still living in the past of 'empire' that it stole.

One thing that did enamour Maggie Thatcher to the Nation was standing up to Argentina and the resulting Falklands Conflict, which to be fair is something that appeals to Britain as we have always been a warring, fighting Nation, it is something in our blood. I do not wish to go into the intricate political machinations of this but would like to highlight that warnings of Argentine Troops landing on the surrounding islands had been sent many months before and even the filmcrew of the "Survival" programme who were there at the time filming penguins had also reported this occuring and subsequently had to be "rescued" from St Andrew's Bay on South Georgia.
A war that could have been avoided.

We had all been warned about the type of person Maggie Thatcher was in 1971 when she was the Education Secretary under Ted Heath's tenure, when she became "Maggie Thatcher the Milk Snatcher" by abolishing free milk for school children aged 7 to 11. An action that saved minimal amounts but caused outrage and of course she was also responsible in this role, for the closure of Grammer Schools........................perhaps the start of the "dumbing down" of the working class.
Lol

My eldest son worked on the face in a South Derbyshire mine ,mine closed,no jobs all due to that government.

My eldest son worked on the face in a South Derbyshire mine ,mine closed,no jobs all due to that government.

Why is it cheaper to import coal then produce it locally. I am still looking for an explanation of this ? There must be a reason.

I dont think it was ever cheaper,but you can bet some fat cats at the top government benifited from buying abroad.

I dont think it was ever cheaper,but you can bet some fat cats at the top government benifited from buying abroad.

Just looking at the moment, coal can be imported for around $85 per ton including transport, it costs $105 per ton to mine it in this country. And that is just the stuff on the surface. To dig the stuff out in deep mines where there is a lot of coal in the UK costs 4 to 5 times as much. Was reading on a global scale that prices for coal have gone down as the US is dumping it on the market since they are getting cheaper gas from shale fracking.

Imported coal cost less because the wages they pay the people in those countries are so low - which makes it even more disgraceful to import it.

Imported coal cost less because the wages they pay the people in those countries are so low - which makes it even more disgraceful to import it.

As opposed to tax payers subsiding it producing it in the UK ?

so did tony blair and gordon brown do a great job??
its a Fact they lead this country to total ruin,

and it was the best thing they ever did close the mines m8

Back