reformat problem with SP2

billyk

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I have a HP pc, 40gig hd, igig ram, 2 gig celeron processor, i'm trying to install an 80gig ide hard drive, ive tried cloning my old hard drive, works perfectly but when i try to boot up the new hd it just keeps rebooting.
Anyway i finally decided to do a fresh install and everything went great, pc running perfectly with the new HD UNTILL i install SP2.
It then goes back into the rebooting mode and won't boot up again.
I have now uninstalled SP2 and its working like a dream again but i would really preffer to have SP2 installed.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciatted guys.

Hey guys.
I have a HP pc, 40gig hd, igig ram, 2 gig celeron processor, i'm trying to install an 80gig ide hard drive, ive tried cloning my old hard drive, works perfectly but when i try to boot up the new hd it just keeps rebooting.
Anyway i finally decided to do a fresh install and everything went great, pc running perfectly with the new HD UNTILL i install SP2.
It then goes back into the rebooting mode and won't boot up again.
I have now uninstalled SP2 and its working like a dream again but i would really preffer to have SP2 installed.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciatted guys.
get a hold of xp sp2 intergrated see if that makes a difference

have a look in Event Viewer and see if you can see any error msg in there as that would be a great help with trying to work out what is up with your pc

use safe mode as i would hope it would boot ok in that mode

then open ?Administrative Tools? in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer

try disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing

make sure all your drivers are upto date

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm going to try a fresh install with SP2 integrated.
One thing i can think of is that on the hard drive that does boot up i used the validation tool uploaded to downloads by F.E.A.R. and although it worked alright i'm wondering if there is any chance that could be whats causing the problem.

Also i took the cmos battery out and left it out overnight but that hasnt helped either.

I'll see how the fresh install goes before i try anything else.

OK it seems its definately an SP2 issue as it wont let me install the SP2 integrated copy i have, just goes so far as to copy the files then says some error with ntd.ll or something like that.
I have a couple of 80gig hard drives here and i'm positive the hard drives arnt the issue .

Thing thats getting me is why will it allow the 40 gig hard drive with SP2 to work perfectly but wont let me install a new one, even when i just ghost from the old one ?

The only one slipstreamed was the one with SP2.

Ive now tried another copy of XP and im getting the same error after it copies the files...STOP: c0000221 Unknown hard error\systemroot\system32\ntdll,dll.

Go to BIOS and Hard disk settings if you can find or even install without sp2 and disable hard disk UDMA. See if that solves it.

Looked quite a few places, only place i can think of is the bios. it should be there mate. try googling your motherboard. Also if anyone else knows how to disable it in windows please enlighten us.
cheers.

The only one slipstreamed was the one with SP2.

Ive now tried another copy of XP and im getting the same error after it copies the files...STOP: c0000221 Unknown hard error\systemroot\system32\ntdll,dll.
does this happends with all ur harddrives

Thanks for all the help guys, i was thinking it has to be the memory myself there but ive since tried ghosting an old 20 gig maxtor hard drive and it worked perfectly.
It seems the 80 gig hitachi deskstar hard drives i was trying to install are the problem after all.
The original hard drive being a western digital 40 gig. maybe it's an issue with the deskstar hard drives, only way to be sure is to buy another hard drive and try that.

Thanks anyway for all the help guys.Much appreciatted.

Back