Problem with start PC startup & Windows?

dgc808

Inactive User
Reaction score
I all I am having a bit bother with my PC and was wondering if anyone can help me out?
It all started when my hard drive became full and my PC started to run really slow, I was going to flatten my hard drive and reinstall windows on it but I didn’t have another hard drive to backup all of my stuff. So I managed to get a 14GB hard drive from a friend and decided I would flatten that instead and use that to run my Windows operating system. So after I had formatted the 14GB HD and installed windows on it I booted up my PC and whilst booting I got the message below (BUT IT ONLY HAD 2 VERSIONS OF WINDOWS ON THE LIST AT 1ST)

WindowsProblem-1.jpg

and it was asking me which version I wanted to boot my PC with? One was the original 120GB HD and the other is the 14GB HD. The 120GB runs dead slow and the 14GB was still not running properly. So I decided to flatten the 14GB HD and reinstall windows and try again after flattening the 14GB HD again and installing windows I disconnected the 120GB and just booted the PC from the 14GB and then I got the message below, so with even just 1 HD plugged into my PC I still get this message asking which version I want to use! Is there anyway I can stop this happening and just get the PC to boot from the HD which is plugged in?

WindowsProblem-1.jpg

Cheers DGC808

You need to alter the boot.ini file. Theres a few ways to do it but heres one way.

To change boot menu option in Windows XP follow the steps below.

1. Right click on My Computer icon and click on Properties

2. Click on Advanced tab

3. Click on Settings button under Startup and Recovery

Now you can select the default OS you want from the drop down list. After selecting the default Operating System you want, you should set the Time to Display list of Operating Systems to 0 seconds. Now we need to click on OK.

On next reboot onwards we will not see the list of all installed OS in our computer. We will directly log on to the default OS which we set here.

Jaffa is correct in what he is explaining you need to do. But from what you are saying you have more versions of the OS on it than you need. You have in fact 3 partitions which are eating up your disc space.

To resolve this you will need to use a partition manager, Acronis would be good, to look at the HD and delete the partitions you don't want. When you say you flattened it you did so for the 1st partition and the other 2 will have remained, hence the message you get.

Pick up a copy of HirensBootCD from the link below and it has got Acronis and everything else you ned to sort the drive.

Hirens.BootCD.10.2.zip ... at uploaded.to - Free File Hosting, Free Image Hosting, Free Music Hosting, Free Video Hosting, ...

Any problems let us know.

if u only want 1 of the versions showing up and you are sure which version is your system then u can 1.hit the start button type in the search bar msconfig, will bring u up this
pc-1.jpg
hit the boot tab and u will see the 3 versions on your windows just delete the one u want to use[windows system] and that will sort the boot up

Back