Red Light Cameras - Fine?

tottenhamboys

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Driving to work this morning I think I might have been caught by a camera on a traffic light. It was amber when I went through (I know... ) but the guy in front of me then slowed to a crawl in the middle of the junction (it's a cross road). So I slowed and stopped just behind him (slightly ahead of the right turn lane) and as I was doing so I saw a double flash. At the time I thought it was the guy behind me telling someone else to turn but on my way back through at lunch I notice there are little boxes on top of the lights now. So I can't be sure, I suspect it flashed me for going through too late. I feel utterly crappy about it but I don't suppose there is much I can do now other than learn from it going forward.

My question is does anyone know what the fine for this is? Is it like speeding where you can take a course and avoid points or will it be points and a fine? How long will this take to come through? Also it's my partners car so will it likely come in his name? I presume I can explain that when it comes through and have it switched to me?

Never had a ticket before and so I'm not really sure what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Is it 3 points and £60 coming my way guys

don't want to upset you but

The maximum penalty for running a red light is (i) a £1,000 fine, (ii) 6 penalty points endorsed on the driver’s licence, and (iii) disqualification. Frequently, though, a driver who runs a red light will get a Fixed Penalty Notice offering a penalty of £100 and 3 penalty points to be endorsed on your licence.

It was increased from 60 to 100 in july 2013 :(

But lights was Amber not red but think I had flash in back window it was dark

Best thing to do is wait and see, normally a week or 2 to come through the letterbox, the cameras are not always loaded with film, as Ian said the fines have gone up but if they go with Fixed Penalty Notice should be no more than £100 fine and 3 points although if you receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution or you challenge the FPN the fine can go up to £1000 and 6 points and also a ban

Looking on the bright side whatever way it goes you got away with it ;) by that I mean you didn't get yourself killed and didn't kill anyone crossing the road

I don't think its a camera from what your describing, but without seeing it am only guessing.

I think what your describing is a sensor which is used for setting off the next set of lights and for emergency vehicles.

Also they are 2 different companies the traffic lights and cameras. They wouldn't share the same post.

Anything on a traffic light will be to do with the traffic light system and not camera enforcement.

Traffic light cameras are mounted high up and are in a yellow box and not attatched to the normal traffic light posts as lagigolo says

A lot of the Red light cameras in London are Black or Grey as well @IANB

Last edited by a moderator:
I was behind a car that got flashed the other day going through a red light. Other traffic went through on amber, and nothing. As soon as a car went through on red, boom, there was a flash.

But it was on red when the vehicle crossed the line, so its surprising if it flashed on amber. But i think amber does me stop?

Maybe it wasn't the camera? I guess you will have to wait and see what happens

Back