Red Dwarf returns to Earth this Easter

jaffa

Inactive User
Reaction score
The popular British comedy will return with a brand-new two-part special this Easter.

The new series, which has been commissioned by British digital channel Dave, will reunite the original Red Dwarf crew 21 years after the sci-fi show first took off on the BBC.

Red Dwarf: Back to Earth will kick-start a special Easter weekend, dedicated to the comedy, in which Dave—played by Craig Charles--will finally fulfill his life-long ambition and touch down on his home planet. Charles will be joined by Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn reprising their roles as Rimmer, The Cat and the android Kryten respectively.
The show, written and directed by co-creator Doug Naylor, will be followed by Red Dwarf: Unplugged, an episode giving viewers the chance to see the cast "as they've never seen them before." The episode will be shot entirely without sets, special effects or autocue.
The thought of such an unconventional set-up seems to be cause for concern for the show's starts, with Llewellyn saying recently via Twitter: "I think it's safe to say we are all bricking it regarding the no holds barred [episode]. Should be fun though."
Concluding the channel's weekend of specials will be Red Dwarf: the Making of Back to Earth, which will give a behind-the-scenes look at the new production.
The show, set on a mining ship in space, first aired on BBC2 in 1988. It lasted for 52 episodes over eleven years winning an international Emmy for its sixth series and gaining a TV.com show score of 8.6.
Red Dwarf: Back to Earth airs on Friday 10 April on Dave.

Didn't Bob Grant, the writer, of this show die in 2003?

Won't be the same, wiil it?

It's all in the writing.

I was Brought up watching this (nicking my mates tapes from his house lol) then bought dvds, this was suppose to happen years ago mind.

Cant believe it was 1999 that series 8 came out, seems like only a few years ago not 10 lol. Wasnt a fan of series 8 mind.

I wish they would make more than just 2! Provided theyre as good as they used to be that is.

I wasnt a big fan of series 8 either

I must of been living under a rock, It's the first i've heard about it lol. Fab news!

Didn't Bob Grant, the writer, of this show die in 2003?

Won't be the same, wiil it?

It's all in the writing.

original was written by naylor and grant, naylor has written these shows so not all bad, read a review of the show and all reports say its been well received by the critics....not sure if thats good or bad though :)

Being a red dwarf fan since it started in the 80s and even having posters lmao (I was only young) on my wall, when red dwarf 8 came out it didn’t feel the same type of humour as the other 7 series.

With Back to Earth I know it was only 30 minutes and part one with all the new visual effects and graphics it just wasn’t as good. I actually thought it was pretty crap, I know I can’t judge it based on 1 part but thoughout that 30 minutes I got bored and was even looking through the guide.

Never knew holograms can loose hair and age lol

Last edited:
agree with you jammo

exactly like the ruining with doctor who..

and the clif hanger.. well

ide rather watch something else..

really should have been a feature length episode me thinks

into the story too quick.. not enough good humor..

just crap..

lets see what tomorrow brings

i wasn't expecting ot be amazed by this show but it was truly awful, there was no chemistry between the actors and danny john jules was so wooden and had such bad timing :(

i wasn't expecting ot be amazed by this show but it was truly awful, there was no chemistry between the actors and danny john jules was so wooden and had such bad timing :(

Agree fully mate but it picked up when the russian arrived, the first 10 mins with just Lister and Rimmer were painful. Gotta admit I laughed like fook when I saw the cats "diving suit".

Wow!!!, is all I can say for the second episode tonight... awesome story line!

"I didn't see that coming".. after the watching the first episode yesterday.

i liked it

stuill shit cliffhanger

and wheres the canned laughter

have to say red dwarf since season 6 ended has been poor between seasons 3 and 6 it was superb in its day! but it has went downhill since then.. couple of good bits in that sci fi shop regarding the old space core directive stuff but watching it just out of habbit didnt really enjoy although the 2nd ep was certainly better than the first.. amazing that the way craig charles lives his life he probs has aged the best!

1st one was poor with no real lol moments,part 2 better but only just hopefully there saving the best till last

1st one was poor with no real lol moments,part 2 better but only just hopefully there saving the best till last

Oh dear, just watched the repeat of the 3rd one and, as a fan, they really should have left it alone, the "back to earth" episodes were strained with only a few good visual gags and no more than a handful of LOL moments.

My vote for best line goes to Cat in the shop "wot a bunch of numpties", nearly choked on me coffee but overall am really disappointed.

Just me tuppence worth chaps.

Back