reboot problems

hunteru

Inactive User
Reaction score
Probably been covered many time before but can any body help me out with rebooting problems on my laptop. Im running XP and recently I had a power cut when power was restored my laptop now tries to restart but only gets as far as the front loading bar screen for windows and tries to reboot again. I have tried to start in safe mode ect but no luck unfortunatley any advice grateful

Most likely the power cut trashed some windoze system files on the HDD m8, your probably going to need to re-install windoze. Have you got a recovery didk for them/c? Stick that in, boot from it & see what options it gives you, you may have the option to return to original or repair install. If you haven't got a restore disk, have you got a Windoze install disk? If so boot from that & see if you can do a repair install from that.

Hope that helps...If not ask away ;)

Try one of the following because I suspect you have corrupted the boot sector.

1. Boot from the windows cd in, boot from the cd, press r for repair then FIXBOOT and enter.

or

2. Boot from the windows disk and press r for recovery console. At the prompt > type chkdsk /r, this does the same job as your previous check so may resolve it

or

3. Use an XP or W98 boot floppy disk in the A: drive and once there at the A promt A:\> type the following remembering to include the space after EXE.

A:\> FDISK.EXE /MBR. That should write a new boot sector.

This will repair the boot sector.

Back