Really need some advice lads please

CoolHandLuke

Inactive User
Reaction score
I bought a silver PS jail break pen for my old fat PS3 thing is when I follow the instructions and insert it I keep getting the dreaded red light.

I then done some snooping and realized my PS3 is running on firmware 3.73 and the jail break pen in the instructions is for 3.41

Have I made a blunder ? can I update the pen or downgrade the PS3 whats my options am I stuck in a rut any advice please.

It seem's I did not do my home work before I bought the pen of ebay.

Any advice please Im lost I think...

Ok any advice I have looked on the serial sticker and my old fat console is CECHM03 can I downgrade this and if I can what is the best firmware to downgrade it too 4.1 4.0 etc etc any advice please really want this to work as I have spent a few bob on an external hard-drive and pen....

you would need an e3 to downgrade i think its called. there is no need for a pen / dongle anymore. you would need to get to 3.51 if memory serves and then you can install cfw straight to ot. downgrading is not for the faint hearted from what it looked like when i was tinkering with ps3 hacks.

You need to read the nor/nand chip of your PS3 and for that you need either a e3 flasher, teensy or a progskeet... Either way you need to open up the PS3...Then you need a downgrade dongle as welll to put the ps3 into factory service mode...Once all this is done you can then flash 3.50 and then a custom firmware such as Rogero 4.30....

Whichever way you look at it, getting custom firmware on your ps3 is gonna cost ya!

worth it in the end though, I'll be getting all the kit for a winter project and following me thinks.

I'll be getting rid of my phat, that's on 3.55 (or rebug or rogero) and i'll be getting a slim me thinks.....the other fat is fine, just the one in the lab is 100% dyson.....mare.!

Thank you for all the information, I'm afraid I am not to confident at the downgrading part, I think I will put this project on hold till after christmas maybe a way to downgrade might come available without any internal console mod.

I am happy soft modding using software and FW and I managed to flash my xbox drive, but this just seems a little bit more complicated.

Maybe after some more reading I might feel a little bit more confident :0}

OK after some reading and snooping round google I found out my PS3 was NOR not NAND so the E3 flasher is a good option. I also found a 53 minute step by step video how to install it, so I am going to order one and give it a try.

Here is a link to the video which is a very good step by step tutorial and I will also attach a chart so you can see if your PS3 is NOR or NAND

Might come in handy if anyone is going through the same process.

utube Link = How To Install E3 Flasher - Downgrade 3.73 - PS3 - YouTube

Buy E3 Flasher http://www.acekard.ca/E3-NOR-Flasher-PS3-PlayStation3-Downgrader_p_121.html

Attachments

• PS3 Nand Nor   List.JPG
    PS3 Nand Nor List.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Good guide and the like there, Only thing I picked up on is that I'd be putting some more thermal paste on after removing it and then putting it back together.

can't wait to see how the chaps get on with it. Pootas etc. :)

Yep I got on really well... Well I say well... I've now got a ps3 shaped door stop! Grrrr

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Only thing is I am not sure about the store which I posted = Buy E3 Flasher Buy E3 Flasher NOR Flasher PS3 PlayStation3 Downgrade

By the time I pay postage and stuff, It might be a bit over the top about 90 dollars at a guess ?

Also the Package contents does not mention the dongle or the E3 Sata dock that is in the video ?

1 x Mainboard
1 x Cover board
1 x Clip with softboard
1 x Metal cover

Has pootas Received his yet from china, I would prefer to buy a kit from source that has been proving to be reliable. I read another post that he had one on order from china.

and thanks for the tip with the paste I have some arctic silver left over from my 360 clean up, so will remember to do a good clean and re-paste.

Last edited:
Yep I got on really well... Well I say well... I've now got a ps3 shaped door stop! Grrrr

Can you tell us a bit more pootas were you joking or not :0} and did your E3 flasher arrive I read in another post you had orderd one from china....

Nope I've actually bricked it!! I updated the e3,then read nor... Then after that I get what appears to be ylod....

I need to solder nor tri state to gnd but ain't got a decent solder iron here....

I read that with the E3 snap on clip you have to get the flash spot on the first time cos if you dont it bricks, On the PS Hack site there saying the progseek is the best option because you can also use it to unbrick your console and also you can use them on 360s etc you just need to buy the nand or nor clips ?

Someone is offering a downgrade service and flash on another forum for £25 I am pretty dubious at how he can do them so cheap as it seems really hard work :)

I didn't even get as far as patching then flashing!! Reading and then ylod for me...

I didn't even get as far as patching then flashing!! Reading and then ylod for me...

You did reconnect your fans and that mate? I'm just asking as I did put a machine back together me self with out doing them.....

Man, feel for ya like, what happened?

Last edited:
hiya, i just posted in that other thread asking for a update from you pootas, sorry to hear it dint go to well mate, gutted for you, i have read on the e3 site though theres a tut on how to unbrick your ps3 using the e3 flasher but requires soldering, must be what your on about is it pootas ?
ive just been emailed saying they got progskeet in stock now as i been holding off buying e3 flasher as dint know which to go for, still dont know lol,
let us know how you get on pootas mate

Dilly if you go on the PS Hackx site most of the people say the E3 flasher is easier to do than the progskeet, but the say E3 is far to over priced and has a much greater chance of bricking your console because of the snap on clip, also Ive read loads of posts saying if you do not get it 100% correct on your first shot your guaranteed a brick.

Where as the progskeet can be used to unbrick your PS3 and can be used on other systems, thing is ive never solderd anything in my life apart from a made a touch line at school twenty five year ago lol.

I done hours of reading and got everything ready and set up in my head and was going to order a E3 untill I read pootas post :0(

I think I am going to way up my options and have a good look at the progskeet and the teensy as well now.

At least if pootas unbricks his console and gets his E3 up and running we will have someone to get advice of thats been in the wars if we go wrong.

I think im going to cancel my e3 order and look at the progskeet also

does it come in solderless also??

Back