Re: Cheap Boxes

nozzer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
TH5402 HD is a closed source non-linux box...so it's inferior to DM800HD and it's clones.

Linux recievers have far more features and flexibility, plugins, 7 day EPG's, Enigma 2, Choice of multiple images etc etc..

I usually find the total opposite !

The linux'y open source boxes usually have pretty crap and badly written flaky software that barely functions in any coherant manner whilst most of the closed source boxes have firmwares which tend to work reasonably well (maybe not straight away but usually relatively quick if they want to continue selling).

Its got to be said that linux really isn't the best OS for embedded systems. Its way over-bloated for what it does although it does have its uses !

Re: CHEAP boxes .. ? DODGY ?

I usually find the total opposite !

The linux'y open source boxes usually have pretty crap and badly written flaky software that barely functions in any coherant manner whilst most of the closed source boxes have firmwares which tend to work reasonably well (maybe not straight away but usually relatively quick if they want to continue selling).

Its got to be said that linux really isn't the best OS for embedded systems. Its way over-bloated for what it does although it does have its uses !

I would really like to know what you base this nonsese of a post on? that's about the strangest post iv'e seen!!

I would also like to know where you can buy a 800hd clone for $150 including postage?? that's the second maddest post iv'e seen!!

I would really like to know what you base this nonsese of a post on? that's about the strangest post iv'e seen!!

Many years of writing embedded firmware for a start. If I ever dared to present something as horrendous and buggy as the dremabox firmwares to a client I would be fired (rightly) on the spot !

The only reason for something like embedded linux in products like stb's etc is basically lazyness. Having such a system means you can throw some barely functional system together in a very short timescale. There are far more efficient OS cores available for most of the embedded processors used in such boxes.

Saying that, dreamboxes do have their uses in certain areas but for anyone to actually use a dreambox as an example of 'good' software design (or hardware for that matter) is patent nonsense !

I would have thought the reason's behind using Linux in a reciever, was pretty dammed obvious, certainly not laziness, you would be better keeping on writing embedded firware, rather than writing nonsense in post's.

Oh, and for someone that supposedly writes firmware for a living, you certainly can't read very well!! i don't think i used A dm as an example anywhere!!

I would have thought the reason's behind using Linux in a reciever, was pretty dammed obvious, certainly not laziness, you would be better keeping on writing embedded firware, rather than writing nonsense in post's.

Indeed the reasons are obvious, and I mentioned them !

The main reason is speed and ease of development. Basically, any moron can do it in fairly quick time meaning your coders dont have to be so high quality !

Oh, and for someone that supposedly writes firmware for a living, you certainly can't read very well!! i don't think i used A dm as an example anywhere!!

As you were responding to a post I made which was discussing dreamboxes etc it would seem to follow that they were the topic of discussion, whether you mentioned them or not !

Last edited:

goose back off nozzer has forgotten more than u will ever know

goose back off nozzer has forgotten more than u will ever know

What are you on!!!, you are supposed to be an ADMiN, what exactly am i doing wrong that you deem it necessary to come on to an open forum and start warning me. Are members not supposed to have any sort of oppinion just because a moderator is talking part in a discusion?? That is an abuse of you position!!

hey ?
what have these posts got to do with my question ?
make yer own bloody threads..
Mod feel free to close this thread its useless now....

i'll move the irrelevant posts to another thread chris

edit: posts moved to new thread to tidy up op's original thread

Last edited:

fight fight fight indeed, seems to be plenty of them around here recently.

I prefer Open Source Linux boxes, while they may have a lot of useless applications, most of these are on an opt-in basis rather than with the core package. The problem with closed source software is that many of these STB manufacturers simply don't put the effort into making them good. As inefficient as the open source software may be it will at least have plenty of support and new developments long after the original manufacturer has stopped software developing for it.

If I could find a cheaper and more stable closed source dual tunner HD box that did everything that my Enigma2 plugins do on my VU+ (proper userfriendly EPG, good quick zap, different cams, downloadable bouquets, 'Series Link' type functionality, partner box to control satellite from different box) then I'd buy it - I don't think there is one yet.

What are you on!!!, you are supposed to be an ADMiN, what exactly am i doing wrong that you deem it necessary to come on to an open forum and start warning me. Are members not supposed to have any sort of oppinion just because a moderator is talking part in a discusion?? That is an abuse of you position!!
yes they are and me being a member as well as admin my oppinion because i know nozzer. is he knows more than you

and as admin
editing posts removing posts is my job

you need to read the rules
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/155604/
the bottom part

The Admin/Mods are here to help. Any posts, which they think are unsuitable, or break any of the rules, can, and will be edited or removed without notice (or reason).

It's not a free for all

If you don't like the rules then please don't slam the door on the way out.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If I could find a cheaper and more stable closed source dual tunner HD box that did everything that my Enigma2 plugins do on my VU+ (proper userfriendly EPG, good quick zap, different cams, downloadable bouquets, 'Series Link' type functionality, partner box to control satellite from different box) then I'd buy it - I don't think there is one yet."

Im sure there will be one out there soon....there is a good bit of the market that could be filled with something like that at a good price....around 220 ish ?

Last edited:
Sorry if i've stirred up an argument, that really wasn't my intent. I guess we all occasionally let our pet passions get the better of us ;)

Sorry if i've stirred up an argument, that really wasn't my intent. I guess we all occasionally let our pet passions get the better of us ;)

oh aye, something youre not telling us about m8y? ;)

:sheep:

lol

"If I could find a cheaper and more stable closed source dual tunner HD box that did everything that my Enigma2 plugins do on my VU+ (proper userfriendly EPG, good quick zap, different cams, downloadable bouquets, 'Series Link' type functionality, partner box to control satellite from different box) then I'd buy it - I don't think there is one yet."

Im sure there will be one out there soon....there is a good bit of the market that could be filled with something like that at a good price....around 220 ish ?

Closest so far is the new Qbox Mini, well priced as well for twin tuner..Only just recently released though..I doubt it's going to the same software quality or support as VU or Dream Recievers though...

CPU looks slow and underpowered compared to current recievers as well..

Closest so far is the new Qbox Mini, well priced as well for twin tuner..Only just recently released though..I doubt it's going to the same software quality or support as VU or Dream Recievers though...

CPU looks slow and underpowered compared to current recievers as well..

Out of curiosity, what CPU does it have?

Out of curiosity, what CPU does it have?

- From the product description one of these, so not a Broadcom chip, like Dream/VU recievers:

266 MHz ST40 CPU SH4 Core. STi 7101 based

Back