RCD failed, lights not working

Utopie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Lights are out, but somebody's home. Have what I think is a Wylex breaker box which the kitchen and all the main lights in the house are on.

Have added a pic of what the box looks like, only there are 2 extra switches to the left.

18231.jpg

There are 3 swtiches in the box: 1 labled 'cooker', 1 sockets and 1 main breaker switch.

The cooker and main lights have stopped working and the sockets are working OK.

I thought that when something goes wrong and they tip out, the switch in the breaker box just flicks to OFF, but it hasn't!!!! It's still in the ON position - have tried switching it ooff then on again but it's not working....

Anyone know what the next step is? Know sod all about this stuff!!

Never mind. The cooker has started working again but the lights are still out!! No idea what circuit the lights are on... Better see if the old man can sort it...

Cleaver me, I fixed it... There were 2 ceramic fuses under the main power On/Off switch box.. had to take the cover off to see them. It was the 5amp one gone with the very fine fuse wire in it... :Clap:

You "fixed" it then ? Just wondering how/why the fuse blew in the 1st place ? Could be something simple like a bulb blowing and blowing the fuse (seen this happen before) but if that hasn't happened you have merely delayed curing the problem. I also hope that you replaced the 5amp fuse wire with the same 5 amp fuse wire.......if you have replaced it with thicker (higher rated) stuff then you are asking for trouble.......worst case scenario is a fire mate.

Not trying to scare you but as a sparky myself I wouldn't feel right if I hadn't said something after seeing this thread.

You "fixed" it then ? Just wondering how/why the fuse blew in the 1st place ? Could be something simple like a bulb blowing and blowing the fuse (seen this happen before) but if that hasn't happened you have merely delayed curing the problem. I also hope that you replaced the 5amp fuse wire with the same 5 amp fuse wire.......if you have replaced it with thicker (higher rated) stuff then you are asking for trouble.......worst case scenario is a fire mate.

Not trying to scare you but as a sparky myself I wouldn't feel right if I hadn't said something after seeing this thread.

Yeah, I'm boss mate, I had my tool box out and everything... Luckily, I didn't have to use the solder iron on the bugger! I only had to use one screwdriver... it was an orange one.

Seriously though, it had 5amp on the ceramic plug and there were remnents of it left, so I knew which wire to replace.

I just switched the kitchen lights on that blew it and one of the down shining spot light bulbs has gone, so it must have been that... I take it that's not a fundemental problem? just a bulb that's blown and caused it? Been fine for ages otherwise... I thought with it been a really fine fuse wire they are prone to going every so often whatever the weather?

You often get a surge in current as a lamp fails.
This could easily blow the 5Amp fuse you've had to replace.

Maybe consider upgrading to 1 consumer unit with MCBs like you posted, it makes it easier to reset especially when it trips out at night!

Curly

Back