Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see healy scoreing on his debut

He was just a little bit delighted wasn't he.:Clap:

David-Healy1.png

Last edited:
Sporting pegged back in the Algarve

Olhanense 2-2 Sporting
A Helder Postiga brace seemed to have put Sporting on course for a much needed win at Olhao last night, but two goals in three minutes from Ismaily and Daniel Carrico (in his own net) kept Olhanense’s unbeaten home record intact and earned the Algarve outfit a deserved point.

Sporting travel to Glasgow Rangers on Thursday as the Europa League resumes, and under-pressure coach Paulo Sergio would have been hoping for a confidence-boosting performance ahead of the trip to Scotland. He did not get it.

The performance exemplified Sporting’s wretched season, with sporadic moments of good passing football largely rendered futile by calamitous defending and long spells in which the opposition dictated play.

Fine header
The visitors took the lead on 27 minutes as a neat move between Joao Pereira and Helder Postiga enabled the latter to get behind the Olhanense defence, and when his cross deflected high into the air, Postiga reacted well to plant a firm header into the net from a tight angle.

The hosts came back strongly and Djalmir and Ismaily were both within a whisker of equalising shortly before the break. Olhanense continued to enjoy the upper hand in the second half, with Sporting adopting a counter-attacking game plan.

And when Helder Postiga, upon being released by substitute Matias Fernandez, fired confidently past Ricardo Batista shortly after the hour, it appeared Sporting would be returning to Lisbon with the three points.

Fortress
But Olhanense have made their Jose Arcanjo Stadium a fortress this season, and an intense spell of pressure brought instant rewards. On 65 minutes Ismaily reduced the deficit, punishing hesitant defending from Sporting, then a swift attack down the right flank ended with Sporting captain Daniel Carrico turning a cross into his own net.

Emotions were running high as both teams looked for the winner. Paulo Sergio was sent to the stands for protesting too vehemently and Adilson then managed the notable achievement of getting himself sent off one minute after coming on as a substitute for an x-rated challenge on Torsiglieri.

As if Sporting did not have enough to worry about, left-backs Grimi (injured) and Evaldo (suspended) will definitely miss next week’s Lisbon derby against Benfica, while midfield playmaker Valdes is also doubtful after going off injured in the first half.

Olhanense in Europe?
Olhanense, on the other hand, can be proud on their Liga ZON Sagres efforts this season. The club with one of the lowest budgets in the top flight are assured of survival in the upper echelon of Portuguese football long before the end of the campaign. Indeed, lying just two points off fifth place, Dauto Faquira’s charges can legitimately dream of snatching a European berth.

Goals:
[0-1] Postiga, 27
[0-2] Postiga, 62
[1-2] Ismaily, 64
[2-2] Daniel Carrico, 66 (own goal)

Jelavic backs Rangers in Europe

Nikica Jelavic stole the show against Motherwell but backed Rangers to cope without him when they face Sporting Lisbon in the Europa League.

The Croatian striker claimed a hat-trick as the Scottish champions romped to a 6-0 win on Saturday to edge closer to Celtic at the top of the Scottish Premier League.

Jelavic now appears to be back to his best following a lengthy spell on the sidelines through injury.

But his involvement with Rapid Vienna on the continental stage in the summer means he is ineligible for Thursday's European clash, and has to wait until next weekend before being unleashed again in the Old Firm derby.

He said: "Of course it's frustrating but what can I do now? All I can do is wait for the next SPL game against Celtic.

"We have a strong team with or without me. We are Rangers.

"It was difficult for me to play again after three-and-a-half months. But, game by game, it is coming a little bit."

The Ibrox stadium announcer even credited Jelavic with Shaun Hutchinson's own goal, congratulating him on his hat-trick before the forward went on to claim his third of the day.

But Jelavic was satisfied with his trio of goals and smiled: "Thanks but I think it was an own goal - I didn't touch the ball. I've scored a few hat-tricks before but I don't really remember them. I took the match ball from this game."

Steven Naismith and debutant David Healy were also on the scoresheet as Rangers ran riot against the Steelmen.

Jelavic said: "It was nice to win the game and get the hat-trick.

"We started the game well and in the end we deserved to win 6-0.

"It was not so easy because we scored the second and third goals from nothing. Then we opened up the game and it was much easier afterwards but until the second goal it was difficult."

Injury and suspension meant Motherwell boss Stuart McCall was forced to call upon several youngsters for the trip to Glasgow.

"I told them not to beat themselves up," he said.

"Jelavic's movement is fantastic and experienced defenders would struggle with it.

"I'll sit down individually with a couple of them and look at a few of the goals but it's a learning process.

"Lots of teams in the past have had doings but it's how you come back from it as a team and individually."

Jamie Ness named SPL young player of the month

Jamie Ness has been rewarded for breaking into the Rangers first-team by being named young player of the month in the Scottish Premier League.

The 19-year-old midfielder made his league debut as a substitute in a 4-1 win over Motherwell on 26 December.

He went on to play six games - Rangers won four and lost two - during January, leading to his Clydesdale Bank award.

The Scotland Under-19 international had been poised to join Third Division side Clyde before breaking through at Ibrox.

Ness was rested by Rangers manager Walter Smith for Saturday's 6-0 win over Motherwell.

Celtic fan campaigns for ban of “Penny Arcade” over sectarian claims

By Danny– 14 February, 2011
Posted in: SPL

Only last week I gave the opinion that some Old Firm fans had degenerated to the level of bickering over who was more offensive to each other to the level of making things up, and this morning my opinions were confirmed. One Celtic fan has begun a campaign to have an old Rangers favourite – Penny Arcade – banned over it’s alleged sectarian overtones.

Roy Orbison’s anthem became a favourite among Rangers fans many years ago and was until recently played in pubs and clubs before games until the club adopted it after it’s burgeoning popularity among the supporters and played it over the tannoy after Rangers’ 3-3 draw with Motherwell last June. According to RangersPedia, the song gained popularity after a singer from a group in Belfast sung it at charity events and the song stuck and was a firm favourite with fans ever since.

However, one supporter on Twitter, who set up an account for the sole reason to promote the notion the song is sung for sectarian reasons, is campaigning to have the song banned. @Cartonblanc (an anonymous account opened only yesterday) has linked the song to religious hatred due to the death of a Catholic man in Belfast in 1986 in an amusement arcade from a four-line story in the New York Times.

BELFAST, Northern Ireland, Sept. 17— Four gunmen burst into an amusement arcade here today and killed a Roman Catholic businessman, the 50th victim of sectarian violence in Northern Ireland this year.

Catholic Killed in Belfast - NYTimes.com

The fan in question opened yet another account on Twitter to promote the ludicrous claims further – @BanPennyArcade, I assume to prevent his other account from being either banned for spamming or to distance himself from the claims personally and garner further support for this ’cause’. The Twitter account states:

Ban this song from Scottish football, sung about the murder if [sic] an innocent Catholic man

Ban the song that promoted sectarian murder groups from Scottish football grounds. Ban Penny Arcade. (tweet spam originating from above accounts)

So have Rangers fans been singing this anthem to celebrate the death of a man, as was also claimed of the song ‘The Bouncy’ despite it being sung for decades at Ibrox and not immediately after the death of someone? Or is it yet another ill-fated attempt at claiming a song is sectarian to cause problems and spread unfounded rumours to encourage hatred among fans? The latter seems the more likely, especially with the writer’s sectarian rants at a Rangers fan.

The accounts used have been mainly to spam this campaign to an assortment of Rangers websites and high-profile media outlets and figures such as various members of the STV journalism team, Graham Spiers, Ewan Murray, Brian McNally and strangely, even the Dalai Lama. Quite what he will do with this new found ‘information’ from his government headquarters in exile is unclear.

The whole thing seems bizarre to me. Almost as bizarre as the claim in the Sun newspaper that Rangers fans had planned to sing the Hokey Cokey at Ibrox to wind up Celtic supporters as it was sectarian. What I find even more bizarre is the need to behave in such a manner and waste so much time trying to influence narrow-minded fans that their rivals are singing things to wind people up and celebrate the deaths of others.

What exactly is to be gained from such campaigns, besides the obvious? Such flimsily founded rumours based on little more than a couple of lines from a newspaper 25 years ago unfortunately do have the power to eventually spread before sprouting arms and legs, if we let them. Before you know it, they have a life of their own and are eventually believed by those more interested in finding something to hate about the other side, no matter how ridiculous.

Exactly the sort of hatred and bile which stagnates in west of Scotland football culture. Exactly the type of hatred and bile Scottish football needs rid of, disguised as the exact opposite.

Sadly some of the outlets @cartonblanc has pushed this to, both Celtic websites and high-profile promoters of anti-sectarianism will jump on this. It will undoubtedly get some column space in some red-top rag in the morning. However they are missing the point entirely.

The point is that these silly campaigns cause more trouble and hatred in the days before an Old Firm game. I assume this was the intention of the origin of these claims given his apparent hatred for Rangers fans. The ‘fan’ wants publicity, wants to be known as ‘that guy who told the world Penny Arcade was sectarian’ and to perhaps revel in his minor fame which will disappear in the coming days. More likely, and more sadly, he probably is too narrow minded to believe it is anything but truth.

So is Penny Arcade sectarian? Don’t be daft. It’s as welcome as Celtic fans’ new anthem ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’. It’s a song sung from the stands by fans bored of losing their old songs and adopting new ones. The last thing Scottish football needs is neanderthals making issues of these songs because they can’t vent their religious bile via the old ways.

Sadly this isn’t the first campaign and won’t be the last, let’s just hope the tabloids don’t pick up on this attention seeking claim to fame and make an issue out of what is clearly a non-story. I know we have given it coverage, but lets be clear – it’s for no other reason but to take a closer look at the mindset of a typical narrow-minded fan trying to gain infamy through their rather weak expose, or to cause hatred in the days prior to an Old Firm game.

Until the Dalai Lama gets involved and Roy Orbison is charged with sectarian abuse, let’s just enjoy the stupidity of the whole thing and that gladly, Old Firm fans are replacing their old sectarian repertoire with some new songs. Let’s just hope Rangers fans won’t retaliate saying Depeche Mode & The Saturdays are promoting terrorism, then I will have confirmation football fans have gone totally bonkers. Perhaps they should just to show how silly these childish Twitter campaigns are.

I saw this this morning and honestly cant believe that e is trying to link it to a murder that happened in 1986 in a country 1000s of miles away.

The song was written in 1969 ffs, just sour grapes at healy scoring probably.

originals_bullshit1_ranndino.jpg

been sung in mixed Glasgow pubs for years I even sang it on karaoke machine with Celtic fans in the Parade Bar.

one of my uncle's used to tour with Sammy King the writer of Penny Arcade

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uPwBJJUt5M&feature=related]YouTube - 9th May 2010 Penny Arcade At Ibrox Title Celebrations HD[/ame]

John your post has been taken from a football forum, so to me it's just one guys opinion not a fact, i don't know any Celtic fans who care that rangers fans sing it,

http://onlyanexcuse.com/news/?p=1170

The guy who wrote the song Sammy King

Sammy was born in Batley in September 1941 and christened Alan Toohig. His parents were Irish and his father Edmond had worked at the famous Guinness factory in Dublin before moving to England.

The young Sammy went to St Joseph’s Primary School in Batley and then St Bede’s Grammar School in Bradford before taking a course at Dewsbury and Batley College of Art.

Stein calls for Brown respect

Celtic captain Scott Brown should show more respect to Rangers players, according to former Light Blues striker Colin Stein.

Brown was involved in a verbal battle with Rangers' new signing El-Hadji Diouf in the recent Scottish Cup fifth-round clash in Govan.

The 25-year-old controversially found himself in the book for celebrating in the face of the Senegal international after scoring the equaliser in the 2-2 draw.

Both players continued their spat in the media in the following days and all eyes will be on them in Sunday's SPL clash at Celtic Park.

Stein, who relished his battles with the Parkhead side during his two spells at Rangers which spanned the late 1960s and 1970s, was unimpressed by the Scotland midfielder's attitude.

Speaking at Hampden to help publicise Rangers' Europa League last-32 first-leg clash with Sporting Lisbon at Ibrox on Thursday night, he said: "From Scott Brown's point of view, I would say that a wee bit of respect is needed.

"I think we respected each other (in my time) and that certainly wasn't shown at Ibrox, was it?

"Of course there is a place for banter.

"And for 90 minutes I would go out and kick anybody but after the game we would shake hands and say well done and forget about it until we played them again."

Former Scotland striker Stein is confident that Diouf, who was fined and suspended for spitting at a fan at Parkhead in 2003 when he was a Liverpool player, will cope with the stick he is bound to get from the Hoops fans.

"You would need to ask El-Hadji Diouf about that but I don't think he will have any problem," he said.

"He had 8,000 shouting at him at Ibrox. He will have a lot more on Sunday.

"But if you are getting up the opposition supporters' noses you must be doing well, so it can work both ways."

Stein was impressed by Celtic at Ibrox when the played for over half an hour with 10 men after keeper Fraser Forster was sent off for bringing down Steven Naismith in the box.

However, the former Hibernian and Coventry player is not so sure that Rangers boss Walter Smith should pick a side with a view to Parkhead on Sunday.

"I'm not a Celtic lover but I must admit they played really well that day and forced Rangers back," said Stein.

"I wondered at times who had 11 men on the park.

"It's not an ideal scenario ahead of an Old Firm games to have a game like this three days beforehand.

"But I think Walter will pick a strong team. They will want to win the game.

"Everyone likes to win an Old Firm games but the Europa League is a big thing as well."

Stein recalled the strangest night of his career, playing at Sporting Lisbon when Rangers were en route to winning the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1972.

He scored twice in the 3-2 first-leg win at Ibrox and another two in the second leg in Portugal where the score was reversed after 90 minutes.

A goal apiece in extra time made it 6-6 and the Dutch referee, Laurens van Ravens, decided to go ahead with a penalty shoot-out which the Ibrox side lost.

However, there was some chaos right after the game when it was confirmed that the official had been ignorant of the rule which stated that away goals counted double and Rangers were reinstated.

Stein said: "I was saying to the referee that we were through.

"He could speak English but he was ignoring me and of course the referee is always right, isn't he?

"Willie Waddell, who was our manager at the time, was a stickler for rules but he didn't seem to know but after the game a reporter came in to the dressing room and told us we were through."

John your post has been taken from a football forum, so to me it's just one guys opinion not a fact, i don't know any Celtic fans who care that rangers fans sing it,

Celtic fan campaigns for ban of “Penny Arcade” over sectarian claims | OnlyAnExcuse.com

The guy who wrote the song Sammy King

Sammy was born in Batley in September 1941 and christened Alan Toohig. His parents were Irish and his father Edmond had worked at the famous Guinness factory in Dublin before moving to England.

The young Sammy went to St Joseph’s Primary School in Batley and then St Bede’s Grammar School in Bradford before taking a course at Dewsbury and Batley College of Art.

its all over the place paul twitter etc.i know its crap lol

Re: Penny Arcade

As a guy that grew up on one of the most affected areas of Northern Irelands past and someone who drank in clubs that claims were made of this song being used as a means for people to put old change in collection buckets for paramilitaries... Well :Laugh:

Now onto Sundays game :

REFEREE Iain Brines will take charge of his first Old Firm derby in this weekend's crucial SPL encounter at Parkhead.

The 43-year-old has been a category one ref since 2000 and has been fourth official for numerous Old Firm derbies.

However this Sunday's match, the third league meeting between this sides this season, will be the first time Brines has taken charge of a Celtic v Rangers clash.

The game could have a huge bearing on the destination of this season's SPL title with both teams having won one of the two league meetings already.

Celtic lead Rangers by five points at the top of the table but Walter Smith's men have two games in hand.

Brines will be assisted at Parkhead by James Bee and Graham Chambers with Mike Tumilty as fourth official.

I know, but nonsense like this will end up on the red tops and become a Fact..

it's p*sh. what next West Hams I'm forever blowing bubbles banned coz somebody droont in the Thames.

Last edited:
Kenny Miller let down Rangers by jumping ship for Turkey, says Willie Johnston

Former Rangers hero Willie Johnston has criticised Scotland striker Kenny Miller for abandoning Rangers last month.
The 31-year-old, whose Rangers contract was due to expire at the end of the current campaign, signed for Turkish side Bursaspor, where he now earns £50,000 a week.

However, Johnston, who scored two goals, including what proved to be the winner, in the club's 3-2 European Cup-Winners' Cup final victory over Moscow Dynamo in 1972, believes that Miller's mercenary attitude is indicative of a sickness in the modern game.

"I look at a centre-forward who is scoring goals and he walks out and goes to Turkey," he said. "I know it's about money but I think he could have seen the season out and then left if he thought that much about the club.

"A lot of them kiss the badge and say they are playing for the jersey but that's a load of -----. They play for the money, it's as simple as that.

"If you want to win medals and can go to Barcelona or Real Madrid that's fair enough, but they can do that at Rangers or Celtic as well.
"The players in my day played for the jersey: we had to because we didn't get paid much. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time in football and loved every minute of it. But I've had my time and now I think some of their attitudes stink.

"Rangers, in the late sixties and seventies were getting to European finals and paying you sweeties. Our basic wage was £60 a week and [then manager Willie] Waddell wouldn't give me a rise.

''I asked him and didn't get it. Why do you think I went to West Brom?"

Johnston, speaking to publicise ESPN's exclusive coverage of Thursday's Europa League tie against Sporting Lisbon at Ibrox, was ordered off 22 times during a tempestuous career but claims he was usually more sinned against than sinning.

Unsurprisingly, he empathises with the plight of El-Hadji Diouf, the loan signing from Blackburn Rovers who has been targeted by opponents since his arrival in Glasgow last month.

"Definitely," he said. "I would get spat on and get kicked but I retaliated and I used to get sent off. That was my punishment.

"I've had it in the tunnel and on the park but you've just got to put up with it. It's hard to turn the other cheek but you've got to learn. I wish I had learned but I did some right stupid things.

"I didn't get any sympathy. Waddell just used to say to me, 'Retaliate first', but I retaliated second and would get sent off.

"Every club I played against, somebody would have a go at me. They were told to wind me up, have a kick at me, leave their foot in."

Colin Stein, who scored the opening goal in that 1972 final, recalled the farcical ending to their second-round tie against Sporting in Lisbon that season.

"We were 3-0 up at half-time in the first leg but it finished 3-2 and the return leg ended up 3-2 to them," he said.

"That meant extra-time and Willie Henderson put us ahead on aggregate, but then they scored again to make it 4-3 on the night and that's how it finished.

"At that point the referee insisted we should have a penalty shoot-out.

"He spoke English and I tried to say to him that we had won on away goals – it was the first season that ruling had been brought in – but he wasn't having it and you didn't question refs in those days.

"I'd scored twice during the game but I put my penalty past the post. We lost the shoot-out and everyone thought we were out until sports reporter John Fairgrieve appeared with the rule book to prove that we were still in the competition.

"Our supporters would have left the stadium thinking we'd been knocked out, although I don't remember seeing any of them there during the match."

Ex-Blackburn Rovers boss Sam Allardyce sees El-Hadji Diouf success at Rangers FC

Former Blackburn Rovers manager Sam Allardyce reckons El-Hadji Diouf will flourish at SPL giants Rangers FC.

Diouf joined the Scottish club in January on loan from Rovers.

Allardyce signed the Senegalese firebrand and believes the striker will be a success at Ibrox.

He said: "There's no doubt El Hadji Diouf will thrive at Rangers."

"His ability, when he gets settled, will allow him to play at any level."

"Of course he has been playing in the Premier League, albeit in a wide position in a three rather than up front."

"Once he comes to terms and gets to know the players he's playing with and their strengths and weaknesses he'll get better and better."

"He actually started his career as a lone striker over in France."

"It was the position he was used in when he was with Senegal at the World Cup in 2002 when they reached the quarter-finals."

"That was the reason Liverpool paid so much for him. His capabilities of playing up there are very good. He obviously likes to drop off in the hole and make the play, keep the flow of attacking moves going."

"He's capable of taking the physical contact that comes with playing in that position."

"He enjoys the intensity of the larger crowd and Rangers are supported fantastically well. The bigger the atmosphere, then the better he plays. He just loves playing football."

Rangers v Sporting

Europa League round of 32, first leg
Venue: Ibrox Stadium Date: Thursday, 17 February Kick-off: 2005 GMT

Rangers forward Steven Naismith is a slight doubt for Thursday's Europa League first leg tie against Sporting Lisbon at Ibrox.

The Scotland star has a tight hamstring but manager Walter Smith hopes to include the in-form player.

Striker Nikica Jelavic is ineligible for the European outing, having played for Rapid Vienna in qualifying.

Midfielder Lee McCulloch is expected to be out for the majority of the season following knee surgery.

With Jelavic, who scored a hat-trick against Motherwell at the weekend, missing, Kyle Lafferty may be handed the central striking role.

On-loan Arsenal youngster Kyle Bartley impressed on his first showing on Saturday and may keep his place in a holding midfield position.

Rangers drop into the Europa League having failed to progress in the Champions League.

Smith favoured a defensive 5-4-1 formation in the premier tournament but has hinted that he may opt for a more adventurous line-up against Sporting.

"I don't think we would have varied our system in the Champions League because we started well and continued with it," explained the manager.

"But I think we'll have to have a variation of that for the games we play against Sporting. If we look at them at the present moment, they've been a bit similar to ourselves.

"From the outside anyway, it seems they have financial problems and they have lost a couple of players in the transfer window, including their top scorer [Liedson].

"They've not got a settled team just now but they've had no more problems than we've had to endure in recent years.

"We have the likes of Lafferty and El Hadji Diouf who can both play as strikers, either on their own or together if necessary.

"Steven is another one and although there is an element of doubt about his overall fitness, we are hopeful he will be fine.

"He hasn't trained so far this week but it has been as a precaution more than anything.

"Regardless of whether we have him or not, we can cover for the loss of Jelavic. We've had to do that for quite a bit of the season anyway."

Winger Jaime Valdes and defender Leandro Grimi are missing through injury for the Portuguese visitors but forward Yannick Djalo returns from a thigh problem that has sidelined him since 3 January.

Sporting also include former Rangers favourite Pedro Mendes.

Rangers (from): McGregor, Whittaker, Papac, Weir, Bougherra, Bartley, Edu, Davis, Weiss, Naismith, Fleck, Diouf, Healy, Lafferty, Ness, Wylde, Foster, Kerkar, Alexander.

Sporting Lisbon (from): Rui Patricio, Tiago, Hildebrand, Torsiglieri, Daniel Carrico, Polga, Evaldo, Nuno Andre Coelho, Joao Pereira, Pedro Mendes, Maniche, Matias Fernandez, Zapater, Andre Santos, Cristiano, Diogo Salomao, Simon Vukcevic, Postiga, Saleiro, Yannick Djalo.

Blue Is The Colour

0,,5~9427316,00.jpg

EL HADJI DIOUF showed his commitment to Rangers' cause today when he turned up at training with his haired dyed BLUE.

The Senegalese forward has been a big hit with fans since he moved on loan from Blackburn Rovers until the end of the season last month.

Diouf has been just as impressed with the reception he has received from Gers followers since his arrival in Glasgow.

And he was keen to show his true colours as he warmed up for the round of 32 clash with the Portuguese giants.

Diouf is likely to play a key role for Walter Smith's side after making a positive impact in games with Hearts, Celtic and Motherwell.

He could be joined in attack by Kyle Lafferty, David Healy or Steven Naismith as Smith ponders either a 4-5-1 formation or a more traditional 4-4-2 shape.

Diouf's experience in big European ties with the likes of Liverpool could prove to be crucial as the SPL champions look for a place in the last 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back