RAM - have I been ripped off?

blanno

Inactive User
Reaction score
I got Dell Demension 4600 with 4 sticks of PC3200 DDR Ram. Slot 1&3 are the 256MB sticks that came with the computer Slot 2 has 1GB stick I got from Maplin and Slot 4 has 1GB stick I got from ebay. Got hold of that free software 'CPU-Z' that tells you all about what spec MB, CPU, GraphicsCard, RAM ..Etc.... you are using and acording to CPU-Z the RAM in slot 4 is PC2100 not PC3200???? have I been Ripped off? I made sure I got non-Buffered, Non-EEC, the right density and all that [according to the description]. I didn't even know I could use PC2100, I thaught pC2700 and PC3200 were compatibleand that's all?
Cheers

PC3200, PC2700, PC2100 are backward compatible and will work in your MB. When the PC is up and running the mem will operate at the lowest sticks spec, PC2100 and in alll honesty you would hardly notice the difference so as long as you didn't pay over the odds for the PC or memory it's not something to be worried about, unless you bought something that was advertised wrongly.

Cheers M8.
Yeah, It seems to run OK, I think I was sent the wrong stick. I've purchased RAM plenty of times before and I know it wasn't my mistake. It didn't even Know PC2100 would work until you just told me, I thaught it was just PC2700 and PC3200 that were compatible. probably some Fella on ebay with thousands of sticks of RAM he's getting rid of and he sent me the wrong one, somebody somwhere probably got a PC3200 instead of a PC2100.
Cheers Again.

Back